funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted to make this thread to give a shout out to everyone that was involved in the development of cfw and the people that were willing to give out such an amazing gift for free. Thanks to whoever made the CFW/discovered the exploit(or both) I was able to enjoy my nintendo 3ds so far for about a 6 month period since I bought it. You guys will never be able to understand how appreciated you are in the 3ds hacking community and I will never be able to put it in words. Releasing something for the public to enjoy without a charge is quite frankly more generosity than I can personally say I have. Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication.

Pikasack

What is a title
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The earliest one i saw was Pasta CFW, but i don't know if PBT-CFW came before it.

I would like to thank all of the developers as well. It takes a lot of work for something ruin your device to be stable.
I look forward to using one in the near future.

Trolling

This Username is taken. Problem?
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Technically it was Gateway who made the custom firmware first.
Later some group named KARL were creating one (without the piracy part) and than some guy stole the coding and made Pasta CFW.

tjhooker73

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Later some group named KARL were creating one (without the piracy part) and than some guy stole the coding and made Pasta CFW.
Well. It was gateway that first made the path for cfw. Then PBT-cfw came out of it. And so on. And so forth.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As far as i'm concerned KARL was vaporware. Also everything you said is not true :teach:

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
Trophies
XP
Country
Gateway -> Yellows8's, stolen and released by Giovanify(sp?), patched by @palantine -> PBT-CFW -> Pasta/rxTools/reiNAND/CakesFW

I'm not sure about the exact order the current CFWs, but I've listed them in the order I think they were released.

The last part is: rxTools -> Pasta -> rxTools with sig patches -> CakesFW -> rxTools 2.5 (when it open sourced) -> reiNAND.
And more resolution can be given to the first part, as PBT-CFW wasn't the only palantine CFW mod. Dual emuNAND was also really useful back then to have an updated rxTools emuNAND + 4.5 CFW.

It's much more unclear who initially published the exploits used to escalate privileges, but my guess would be gateway. Stuff was later reversed from their binaries, leading to the old p3ds, which has mostly been used for CTR_Decryptor_Void. Later came KARL's bootstrap which exploited arm11 kernel, and the OSKA guys who extended it to exploit arm9 kernel.

Last edited by mid-kid,

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-july 2013 - gateway releases first 3ds flashcart (but its actually custom firmware)
-nov 2014 - gateway releases a new update. Now allows use of leaked nintendo sdk
-nov 2014? - palantine cfw is released/leaked. Basically a copy of gateways previous update but doesn't use the red cart. Very unstable and crashes 95% of the time. Cannot update emunand.
-nov 2014 - sky3ds appears (red button)
-nov 2014 - smea releases ninjhax
-dec 2014 - sky3ds releases a new cart (blue button)
-jan 2015 - gateway releases new update, makes all ninjhax compatible o3ds gateway compatible
-feb 2015- Roxas75 releases rxtools. supports gateway emunand but no piracy. Only supports o3ds
-march 2015 - gateway releases new update, adds n3ds compatibility
-march 2015 - gateway makes mset work on 9.0-9.2 n3ds
-may 2015 - mysterious pastebin appears apparently telling valuable 3ds keys.
-may 2015- pasta cfw is released by capito27 using the mysterious pastebin. First free stable cfw but doesn't support emunand and only supports n3ds (requires cubic ninja)
-june 2015 - AHP_person decompiles rxtools. Releases a version with signatures patched out. only works on o3ds. first free stable cfw with emunand support
-june 2015 - Reisyukaku releases reinand cfw. only supports n3ds but has emunand support (requires cubic ninja).
-july 2015 - Roxas75 releases source code for rxtools. Officially removes signature checks
-july 2015 - rxtools and pasta teams merge
-august 2015 - reinand adds support for mset on n3ds
-august 2015 - rxtools copies reinand n3ds mset support and adds n3ds support
-september 2015 - yellows8 releases themehax. All cfw update to support coldboot
-december 2015 - sky3ds releases a new cart (orange button)

Think this is everything important. It includes everyone who did everything "first"

Edit: Completely forgot about palantine

Last edited by Adeka,

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Psi-hate,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
it was more likely someone being cocky like "haha those guys wouldn't even know what to do with it even if we posted it on pastebin hahah lolol"..........crap *whistles* .....nothing to do with me :ph34r:

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Ronhero

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was more likely someone being cocky like "haha those guys wouldn't even know what to do with it even if we posted it on pastebin hahah lolol"..........crap
Yeah. I think Mathewe or whatever his name is kept teasing us with 9.2 and made us go on a horse chase over something that he never gave us the actual prize for. Good times, good times <3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm