Who here uses an operating system that is NOT M$?

HaaTa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fedora is nice once its updated to what you want it to be.
DSL is small enough that it is easy to learn as well as works on a 486.

Going to try Gentoo later today, if I can aquire some time to try it out at work.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
theres a limit to how many primary partitions you can create, three is the max, so three operating systems. You could extend this by making an extended partition but i haven't tried

Edit: i think people should move on to something more advanced that ubuntu after some time, other wise theres no challenge to learn

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I use XP for the home box, and Ubuntu Linux for the work laptop.

Ubuntu is good for most people who don't feel like "upgrading" to Vista. Especially since spore is heading for consoles, I see no further need in PC gaming today.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
theres a limit to how many primary partitions you can create, three is the max, so three operating systems. You could extend this by making an extended partition but i haven't tried

Edit: i think people should move on to something more advanced that ubuntu after some time, other wise theres no challenge to learn
Actually you can have 4, but no partitions at all after that. Plus, you can install linux on extended partitions, and you can have as many of those as you like
wink.gif

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

Actually you can have 4, but no partitions at all after that. Plus, you can install linux on extended partitions, and you can have as many of those as you like
wink.gif

you are right
bow.gif

who need more than 3 anyway, if you do then just get a new hd

Strokemouth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Your Linux install is only as "advanced" as you make it. Someone that installs Ubuntu can run into the same problems as someone running Arch or Slack. If you are using Linux strictly to play with and learn, I sort of agree that the "advanced" distros make you really search out what the problem is. But if you are an actual Linux user, there is no point in TRYING to install a distro that makes it more difficult to get stuff working on purpose. If you wanted to install an operating system in order to be presented with problems to solve, just stick with Windows. If you care about just getting it installed and getting your work done, Ubuntu is a great choice. Easy installation, great package management, and regular updates.

I've been enjoying trying out Sabayon recently and it's pretty nice. It's a "Gentoo without the headaches and all that waiting."

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

Your Linux install is only as "advanced" as you make it. Someone that installs Ubuntu can run into the same problems as someone running Arch or Slack. If you are using Linux strictly to play with and learn, I sort of agree that the "advanced" distros make you really search out what the problem is. But if you are an actual Linux user, there is no point in TRYING to install a distro that makes it more difficult to get stuff working on purpose. If you wanted to install an operating system in order to be presented with problems to solve, just stick with Windows. If you care about just getting it installed and getting your work done, Ubuntu is a great choice. Easy installation, great package management, and regular updates.

I've been enjoying trying out Sabayon recently and it's pretty nice. It's a "Gentoo without the headaches and all that waiting."

with ubuntu everything is pre-packaged, so for linux noobs thats great. But when your system breaks how are you gonna fix it if you've been relying on synaptic this whole time. The power of linux is in its ability to be molded, just sticking to a linux distro designed by someone else isnt really in the linux spirit.

As for sabayon ,love the fact that it comes with beryl, but they really should'nt claim its as fast as gentoo. Gentoo's speed is derived from its compiling everything from source thats why it takes hours to install

And thats my rant.

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

with ubuntu everything is pre-packaged, so for linux noobs thats great. But when your system breaks how are you gonna fix it if you've been relying on synaptic this whole time. The power of linux is in its ability to be molded, just sticking to a linux distro designed by someone else isnt really in the linux spirit.

As for sabayon ,love the fact that it comes with beryl, but they really should'nt claim its as fast as gentoo. Gentoo's speed is derived from its compiling everything from source thats why it takes hours to install

And thats my rant.

While it is true that Linux is powerful (I don't actually use it), not everyone that uses it wants to learn. Some people just don't want to use Windows anymore. For myself, I've thought about it, but I just want it to work. I'm willing to learn the basics, but I just want something that does what I need it to in a simple fashion.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France

And thats my rant.

So operating systems are kinda like religions, now? Umberto Eco once talked about this, but only in jest...
dry.gif

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
operating systems are like religions now, but im not advocating that. The last thing i want is a bunch of mac fan boys cramming facts down my throat. Im simply saying that if your a linux user then sooner or later your gonna encounter a problem that you can't fix using pre-packaged solutions. So its to peoples advantage to learn as much as they can about linux and FOSS both to help themselves and the community.

Hope that clears it up

Strokemouth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

And thats my rant.

When something breaks in Ubuntu, you fix it the same way as if you had been relying on yum using Fedora, or kuroo on Gentoo, or compiled from source, etc.: research, research, research! The power of Linux may be in its ability to be molded, but the beauty of Linux is that you can do it whichever way is comfortable for you. If you've got a Debian install but don't want to use apt, you can install rpm. You should hit yourself in the face with a tackhammer if you did that, but it's still doable. That is also a big part of the Linux spirit.

And that's a common misconception about Gentoo's speed. The increase does not come from the fact that everything is compiled from source. The speed comes from the fact that you can ensure everything is compiled for your architecture as well as modifying your optimization flags. A standard stage 1 install is no faster than a stage 3 install when using default CFLAGS. But, a -O3 stage 1 install will certainly be faster albeit less stable. Failing to enable optimizations in your CFLAGS will result in you having a source-based install that is no faster than any other binary-based distro.

Oh, and a stage 3 binary install takes hours. My last stage 1 install took me 10 days.

Nitromaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was using a windows 98 computer until last april.

I use a dual boot xp and linux setup .
I am using a winmodem to connect to the internet so have to use windows for internet.
Linux is just basically a toy for me, I do all my work / internet etc in windows.

I first installed a Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu hybrid distro in August.
Since then I have used/installed ubuntu6.10 , knoppix 4, knoppix 5, puppy linux, sled, mandriva one 2006, mandriva 2007, damn small linux,fedora core 6 (and live), simply mepis and many more.
I currently use a debian unstable system from a knoppix live dvd.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@Strokemouth

If everyone where to stick to Ubuntu then linux would just be gay(couldnt think of a better word)
start on ubuntu then consider other options

And by compiled from source i meant compiled for your architecture, though it was implied.

Strokemouth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@Strokemouth

If everyone where to stick to Ubuntu then linux would just be gay(couldnt think of a better word)

And by compiled from source i meant compiled for your architecture, though it was implied.

Where did I say anything about everyone sticking to Ubuntu? My point was that one of the biggest reasons to use Linux is that you can change things to how you want them, even to the point of adding distro-specific features to your own system. Of course, this point usually never reaches those who just install Linux for the sake of growing their e-penis.

Compiling for your architecture is half implied...I should've specified that it's being able to specify something like i686 vs. i386, for example. But the real speed benefit comes from setting more agressive USE and CFLAGS at the possible cost of stability.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@Strokemouth

Where did I say anything about everyone sticking to Ubuntu? My point was that one of the biggest reasons to use Linux is that you can change things to how you want them, even to the point of adding distro-specific features to your own system. Of course, this point usually never reaches those who just install Linux for the sake of growing their e-penis.

Compiling for your architecture is half implied...I should've specified that it's being able to specify something like i686 vs. i386, for example. But the real speed benefit comes from setting more agressive USE and CFLAGS at the possible cost of stability.

respect
bow.gif
i bow down to you

however you look at it linux is linux, you are right
but i am sick of all the tutorials popping up entitled UBUNTU INSTALL .... they should really write them for all distros

and it isnt the size its how you use it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto