• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Which Vaccine/Serum ?

Which Vaccine/Serum have you received ?

• Moderna / Spikevax

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Comirnaty / BioNTech / Pfizer

Votes: 42 44.7%
  • Janssen / Johnson & Johnson

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • AstraZeneca / Vaxzevria

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other

• None,but I reconsider it.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • None, but I am thinking about it.

• None.No Vaccination.

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • Novavax

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • AntiBody Test

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Valneva

• Coronavac

• Total voters

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Most of the people said Pfizer.... but we still have to wear marks so what is the purpose of the vaccine!
Watch Peter Zeihan, he is entertaining and informative.. :)

Short version is, delta variant came along and messed stuff up. (Higher basic reproduction number, so more transmissible - and lower effectiveness against that strain - still high enough where it makes a difference to get vaccinated, but its now measured in "prevents severe symptoms" at a rate above 90% (see f.e.: https://www.statnews.com/2021/07/28...ccine-slips-to-84-after-six-months-data-show/ but its more a between the lines item in that article) ), which means, you need a higher vaccination (/infection) rate in the general public for "herd immunity to trigger". (= People who are not vaccinated also to be protected, by transmission rates slowing down to a crawl in the overall population.) Coincidently that rate (vaccination rate needed for herd immunity under delta variant) is now so high (80%+ of population), that most european countries struggle to get to it.

So you are taking the vaccine to prevent more severe outcomes on your end, if you get it, and to slow down progression in the population, which helps with hospital beds, just not "enough".

Booster shots might address this ("third shot") -- but hardly any info on that out right now - because its a PR disaster if you try to explain to people which companies vaccine, when would do more and... Logic still goes - its effective in slowing down case reproduction rate (you arent sick as long afair is the aspect by which it achieves that), and provides a 95%-84% reduction in severe illness probability, if you are infected. Risks likely arent worse now, than they will be later > this translates into politics telling people, take it now. And imho rightly so.

People saw that coming almost a year ago (higher vaccination rate in populations needed, because of delta), I made a post in the old covid thread way back when... And it was basically clear back then, that other preventative measures would have to be reapplied (to some extent) this winter.

Last edited by notimp,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not clear to me at this point if they (UK gov) are going to dare re-introduce lockdown measures this winter, or if they will risk the higher herd-immunity being achieved via natural immunity.

Reactions: Alexander1970

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
It's not clear to me at this point if they (UK gov) are going to dare re-introduce lockdown measures this winter, or if they will risk the higher herd-immunity being achieved via natural immunity.
From what I've heard - (Dominic Cummings), the history of heard immunity in the UK was "false calculations" in the beginning of the pandemic, being used by government officials (false because of insufficient dataset, meaning - someone made a bubu), and after that it was 'same measures as everywhere else'.

The issue is, that the UK has a comparatively high case count at the moment, so action plans might vary - in Europe though most countries usually expect that no lockdowns will be necessary, but increased compensation measures (Mask wearing, shutting off mass events, ...) will be.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From what I've heard - (Dominic Cummings), the history of heard immunity in the UK was "false calculations" in the beginning of the pandemic, being used by government officials (false because of insufficient dataset, meaning - someone made a bubu), and after that it was 'same measures as everywhere else'.

The issue is, that the UK has a comparatively high case count at the moment, so action plans might vary - in Europe though most countries usually expect that no lockdowns will be necessary, but increased compensation measures (Mask wearing, shutting off mass events, ...) will be.
I think the delta variant has made the chances of reaching herd immunity very low anyway. The last study I saw there was something like 44% penetration through fully vaccinated people. That's a lot of potential transmission unless they bring back strict social distancing at the very minimum.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I think the delta variant has made the chances of reaching herd immunity very low anyway. The last study I saw there was something like 44% penetration through fully vaccinated people. That's a lot of potential transmission unless they bring back strict social distancing at the very minimum.
Jup. May be a different calculation based on casecount though (allthough I doubt it). So for the rest of the EU (the big countries), I'd be pretty sure in "no lockdown" is what officials are thinking is an achievable goal. For the UK, I dont know. Even though your vaccination rate is quite high... So yeah, probably also no lockdown (reading tealeaves).

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I got two shots of Moderna, not by choice but simply that was what got assigned to me. Thankfully also seems to be most useful one so I should be fine until boosters get rolled out for my age group.

Moderna. One shot, due for the second one next week.

Could barely move my arm for about two days. I also had cramps so horrendously awful, that it might have been one of the most painful experiences in my life. I'd heard reports of women having some issues with that and that was my main concern of side effect. Shame I had to go through what I feared.

... I'm glad I got the vaccine, but I am unnerved a tad for part 2.
Have you talked to your doctor about those side effects? They may be able to prescribe something small to deal with them the second round. The doc that gave me my shots recommended I keep some Ibuprofen nearby for the muscle and headaches that are common and it worked like a charm. Though if you got cramps from it chances are your doc might recommend something different to you.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got Pfizer because at the time it was supposedly the best one. About a week after my 1st shot, it came out that Moderna was longer lasting. Shrug. Guess I'll need that booster. Besides, I think the micro nano batteries in the 5G chip are starting to run low anyway and I've gotten use to having 5 bars everywhere I go.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got Moderna way back in Feb/March when they were still in Phase 1 rollouts. Fiancee got Pfizer around the same time.

Mind you during this period there was not a choice in what we got, you got accepted for the vaccine you went to whichever site they told you to get the shot, and you would find out which shot you get when you get there. I am just glad that we both got the more effective shots than the other ones that were popping up at the time.

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got Moderna. As soon as my age group was allowed to get them here in FL, I signed up, got it 2 days later. Felt nothing but a little arm pain. 2nd shot 3 weeks after, felt kinda crappy the next day, didn't really want to do much. After that, back to normal.

When making plans for my son's bday, My parents told me they didn't get the vax, and wouldn't be getting it. And then made up lies of why they didn't/wouldn't get it (my dad's heart doctor told him not to get it, that was real easy to prove a lie). I told them they were no longer allowed over my house, nor would their grandson be staying over their place anymore. They called around and got the J&J shot 2 days later.

When the 6-12 age group shot is approved, my son will be getting it also.

Unless there's a legit medical reason to not get it, I don't give a fuck about what your aunt thinks, how big your cousin's friend's balls got, or how much you believe in some magical being up in the clouds will protect you. Anti-vax people are fucking idiots.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got Moderna. As soon as my age group was allowed to get them here in FL, I signed up, got it 2 days later. Felt nothing but a little arm pain. 2nd shot 3 weeks after, felt kinda crappy the next day, didn't really want to do much. After that, back to normal.

When making plans for my son's bday, My parents told me they didn't get the vax, and wouldn't be getting it. And then made up lies of why they didn't/wouldn't get it (my dad's heart doctor told him not to get it, that was real easy to prove a lie). I told them they were no longer allowed over my house, nor would their grandson be staying over their place anymore. They called around and got the J&J shot 2 days later.

When the 6-12 age group shot is approved, my son will be getting it also.

Unless there's a legit medical reason to not get it, I don't give a fuck about what your aunt thinks, how big your cousin's friend's balls got, or how much you believe in some magical being up in the clouds will protect you. Anti-vax people are fucking idiots.
bit rough but yea .. misinformation in social media has taken hold of Guilible older people. ( not a knock, I had to have a serious talk with my mother in the start of COVID).

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Please,to the User who had voted for "Novavax".

I am very curious.

How are you ? How was the Vaccination ? Any Symptoms/Side Effects ?
Did you received the "Green Pass" for it ? In which Country please ?
How many Stichtes are necessary for getting full Immunity (for my Recherche - 2) ?

Thank you very much.:)

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
Got my first shot of Moderna back in December, 2nd shot in January. Really hoping they approve the boosters for Moderna because I'll definitely be getting it. I work with immunocompromised/disabled elderly adults who all got Moderna as well, I'm trying to get back to some live shows and not put them at risk.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)