Which used model?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Joyer7319, Feb 5, 2018.

  1. Joyer7319
    OP

    Joyer7319 Member

    Newcomer
    1
    Jul 16, 2017
    United States
    New York
    Ive been an xbox guy since the first console. I'd like to get into PlayStation. I want the backwards compatibility, but I intend to softmod. I know which models are modable, but I'm unsure about backwards compatibility. Do I need the launch edition phats or will ps1 and ps2 run after softmod on any phat? I know the launch editions have native ps2 support, but will softmod emulation run ps1 and ps2 games as well?
    Thanks!
     
  2. replicashooter

    replicashooter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    6
    Jun 16, 2006
    The original 60GB Phats are the only ones with hardware BC and thus 1:1 perfect gaming. Hacked Phats/Slims running Cobra/Rebug can emulate PS2 perfectly around 80% of the time and the other 20% still usually works but is a bit wonky, PS1 is no issue in my experience.

    Personally I wouldn't go near a Phat as they never were that good hardware wise in the first place and it carries a higher chance of YLOD, go for a nice clean Slim and exploit it and you'll be happy with the experience as its so nice being able to access 3 libraries on one machine, running from the hard drive with the correct controller plus the "remastering/smoothing" feature is really dope and being able to play a chunk of PSP games is a boon too.

    PS3 - The gift that keeps on giving.
     
  3. Joyer7319
    OP

    Joyer7319 Member

    Newcomer
    1
    Jul 16, 2017
    United States
    New York
    Thank you. I don't think a better or more concise answer could have been given.
     
  4. weatMod

    weatMod GBAtemp Addict

    Member
    7
    Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    actually 80 gig have a really high compatibility too i think i have an 80 gig and i bought it for ps2 back compatibility

    but i never use it and i would advise anyone looking into buying a fat to get a slim instead
    the fat is loud as shit and runs hot AF
    i can't stand to have it on so i never use it because it is so damn noisy and heats the room to 90 degrees in 10 minutes
     
  5. Joyer7319
    OP

    Joyer7319 Member

    Newcomer
    1
    Jul 16, 2017
    United States
    New York
    Ok, I know which phats are exploitable, but which slims am I looking for? The link in the guide leads to a modchip website.
     
  6. replicashooter

    replicashooter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    6
    Jun 16, 2006
    The partial emulation of the 80gb was a moot point really as it isn't 1:1 hence why I skipped over it as it's compatibility is comparable to a cfw no bc model plus you get the added "fun" of jet turbine fans. Back in the no hacks days it was a factor, now not so much.

    Download the check version app and follow this:

    http://wololo.net/downgradable-ps3-models/

    It's worth taking your time and finding a barely used local Slim as opposed to one that's been hammered day and night and is loud as shit. Buy once, but right.
     
    Last edited by replicashooter, Feb 6, 2018
  7. Joyer7319
    OP

    Joyer7319 Member

    Newcomer
    1
    Jul 16, 2017
    United States
    New York
    Crap. I think I'm more confused. Lol!
     
  8. weatMod

    weatMod GBAtemp Addict

    Member
    7
    Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    from what i understand the 80 gig has a higher ps2 back compatibility than other models , i think there are 3 tiers and the 80 gig is the mid tier
    then there is the one you mention that has 100% and then there are ones with much less
    ye si am reluctant to throttle the fans afraid it might get YLOD or something , i was thinking about getting a clear case mod and adding liquid cooling to it
    but never got around to it
     
    Last edited by weatMod, Feb 6, 2018