Which to get? DSL or DSi?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by movin_target, Oct 11, 2009.

Oct 11, 2009

Which to get? DSL or DSi? by movin_target at 7:41 PM (1,239 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. movin_target
    OP

Newcomer movin_target Newbie

United States
    Well.. I'm a decision point. In the next too weeks, I'll have money to get a DSL.
    But I'm not sure whether to get a that or a DSi.
    I currently own a DSPhat, but I want to upgrade for a better touch screen and blacklight, plus the smaller size.

What I have now is an AceKard 2.1, which won't work on the DSi, which means I'd have to buy another cart. Also, I'd like to play GBA games and am planning to get a EZ-3in1. But what is stopping me from the decision is the homebrew that could be used for the DSi, since it does have a little extra power.

So.. which should I get?

2. ChrisMims

Banned ChrisMims Banned

United States
    DSi. If you like GBA games a lot, get the iPlayer (but I don't think you can play anything other than homebrew on the iPlayer, which is fine if you buy your games.) If you don't like buying your games, get the DSi and the Acekard 2i

3. pjoneszdsi

Newcomer pjoneszdsi Member

United States
    i have a nintendo dsi and it works great! all of the dsi cards ie EZ Flash v i are in the proccess of upgrading to version 1.4 the dsi has a2 built in cameras with one lens on the inside and one lense on the outside. Generally the new the system the longer you will be able to get games for it. you should know the dsi does not play gba game but i do not have any any way. if you have a lot of gba games then you should get the older model.

4. Jordii.

Newcomer Jordii. Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I have a dsi along with a EZ Flash Vi and 8gb micro sd card. I do feel a bit bad as I can't get the EZ 3in1, because the dsi has no 2nd slot.. roll on when you can have slot 1 gba emulators.. [​IMG]:(

5. gtmtnbiker

Member gtmtnbiker GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Did you do a google search? This question has been answered many times before.

6. Retrievil

Member Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    If you really want to play GBA games, there is no substitute for a DS Lite + a Slot 2 flashcard.

Yes there is emulation on the DSI, but it's just that emulation. It can't, and never will, match the 100% hardware compatibility of a DS Lite.

I have a Lite with an AK2i and a M3 Perfect SD in the second slot. With a 8GB micro in the AK for DS games and a 4 GB SD in the slot for GBA games, I have hundreds of games ready to play at any time.

The only advantage tio owning a DSi at this point in time is the slightly larger screen. No cards run in true DSi mode and DSIware stuff has not been cracked so really, if you have a DSI all you get is that slightly larger screen, less battery life that goes with it, and 2.6 mm off the thickness of the DS Lite.

7. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    So what you're saying is you'll be getting a more future-friendly handheld console, and access to fresh new downloadable games?

8. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Uh...wouldn't you get the better system........? DSi?

9. benjaminlibl

Member benjaminlibl Funky Member

Singapore
    I'm not sure, but I don't think that there are homebrews being made specially for the DSi.

Go with the DSL.

10. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Get the DSi. Do not get the DS lite. If you play GBA games you could get the iPlayer, the DSi has more power so it will have better homebrews once its hacked. The DSi will also have lots of exclusive games that the DS lite won't have. You already have a DS phat just play GBA games on that...

11. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Don't forget the Shop Channel, the clicky, more responsive buttons, the better sound, the built-in soft reset to the main menu (even from built-in channels), the WPA(2) support, the Wireless G (compared to the Lite's Wireless B), the hot-swapping DS Card feature, the rainbow writing in Pictochat, the more sturdy hinge, and the 2 cameras.