Hacking Which R4i Gold firmware should I use?

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, guys! So, here's the deal:

I just purchased R4i Gold and I was searching for the firmware, but then I saw that the official version wasn't usable anymore on the newest versions of the flashcard (not sure if I got this right).

However, I live in Europe, and I think the flashcards here have different "versions" from the ones on the U.S. (the website on the card is www.r4i-gold.eu).

My question is: are both the official version and Wood version compatible with my flashcard? Also, is Wood R4i Gold better than the official version? (back when I had my R4 for DS, Wood was the best, but I don't know about these versions)

Thanks in advance!

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There are many different cards that use that name.
The firmwares are generally not interchangeable.
Many card have a url printed on. Use only that one.

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I see. It looks like they don't update their firmware as much as Wood, but it's ok, since DS isn't getting many big titles anymore.

Thanks a lot!

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just noticed that they only support until 3DS's 4.4.0 firmware, and I upgraded mine to 4.5.0 a few days ago...

I don't suppose there's any other solution besides waiting, is there?

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot for your help! I really should've checked twice before ordering it, but what is done, is done. Now I just have to wait a few weeks (or months) for the new R4i Gold firmware.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Pong misread your question, ignore his answer.

There is no region-locking with flash carts because there is no region-locking with DS games and flash carts pretend to be a DS game.

indeed i did miss read it

i thought he was on about the eu flashcard firmware working on the cn one LOL

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with "r4" carts is that there are a million and a half different carts that use almost the same name to the point where people cannot tell the difference. You must do your research to figure out which flashcart you are acctually getting.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just noticed that they only support until 3DS's 4.4.0 firmware, and I upgraded mine to 4.5.0 a few days ago...
I don't suppose there's any other solution besides waiting, is there?
I'm not so sure waiting actually is a solution for YOU, even when and if ther is an update.
MOST cards (check your manual) are updated by running a special .nds "game file" from them.
If you only have access to that 4.5.0 3DS that might be a major problem.
That's why everyone and their dog tells you to first update the cart and only then the 3DS.

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not so sure waiting actually is a solution for YOU, even when and if ther is an update.
MOST cards (check your manual) are updated by running a special .nds "game file" from them.
If you only have access to that 4.5.0 3DS that might be a major problem.
That's why everyone and their dog tells you to first update the cart and only then the 3DS.

According to the tutorial on the R4i Gold.eu website (and on the website of the store where I bought it), I have to run something called "up3dsv44.nds" (or had to, if I had the 4.4.0 firmware), which is placed on the root of the SD card, along with the R4i Gold firmware. I'm guessing that's what makes the card compatible with the latest version of the 3DS.

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your 3DS will not be able to run the update file to get the card working, though. That's why he mentioned it would be a problem if you only have a 3DS. I have a DS Lite so even though I updated to 4.5.0 already, if an update is put out for my card I can still update its firmware by running it on the DS Lite.

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your 3DS will not be able to run the update file to get the card working, though. That's why he mentioned it would be a problem if you only have a 3DS. I have a DS Lite so even though I updated to 4.5.0 already, if an update is put out for my card I can still update its firmware by running it on the DS Lite.

Wait, does that mean that I won't be able to do the trick if I only have my 3DS? When they release the update file for 4.5.0, of course. The tutorials didn't mention anything like that...

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, if you do not have a system like a DS Lite to use, it is never safe to update your 3DS to a firmware that will block your card. The card can only be updated if you can run it without any blocks by Nintendo. Perhaps you can borrow a friend's DS Lite to update your card when a patch is released?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo