Which psp is easier/better to hack?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by scott1982, May 4, 2011.

May 4, 2011
  1. scott1982
    OP

Newcomer scott1982 Member

Australia
    Hey,
    I'm thinking of getting a Psp and was wondering which version is the easiest to hack (less amount of work) i really just want to be able to play ps1 iso's and maybe a handfull of psp roms/isos.

Thank you.

2. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Every PSP model is pretty easy to hack at this point and there aren't a whole lot of differences between what can be done. Just pick whichever one matches what you want out of the actual console. Just be warned, stock 3000 series and GO models may have a firmware too high to hack. If you buy new, be warned.

I suppose CFW such as 5.03 m33-6 and 5.50 Prome-4 offer some of the best PSX compatibility.

3. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    Get a PSP model under 6.35. It HAS TO BE 6.35 or lower to hack fully.

Get an old non TA-88v2 motherboard 2000 or 1000 model will give you the most features, making original 2000s the most sought after (and in my opinion, best PSPs).

a TA-88v2 (or v3) and higher revision Motherboard is one that came in the PSP 2000s starting with the Blue Madden PSP bundle and Kratos Red God Of War bundle (NOT the new 3000 black and red one, an older one).

The first run was fully hackable, but the second run and so forth were not. Until Half Byte Loader, Total_Noob, Wololo, Viruous Flame and ColdBird came on the scene.

They made it so TA-88v2and+ can now be "fully hacked" essentially (I know, not all of them at once or all together I am just saying they contributed A LOT). They can run what is now the modern Custom Firmwares 6.20 PRO-5 and 6.35 PRO-5.

6.20 can be run on any non 9g (Ninth generation) mobo, you can use the program "PSPident" to check your PSP's Mobo. If it is not 9g, you can run 6.20 Permanent patch, which will give you the first "Full Custom Firmware" for ALL PSP MODELS (besides 9g).

The old 1000s and 2000s can use that, or TN-D if you just want Homebrew + PSX support (PRO-5 has great but not perfect PSX support as well). They can also use the old school Full Custom Firmwares known as 5.00 M33 (or Prometheus variants to play newer games), 5.50 GEN-D4 (or Prometheus variants to play newer games). There are plenty more to name but those two are all you need to know.

If you use 5.00 M33, there are tons of old school plugins and PSX games you can use via Popsloader (a mod for PSX support, choosing the right FW's Pops to load almost made perfect compatibility). Same goes for 5.50 GEN.

Note to get to M33 or GEN you must use Hellcat's Recovery Flasher to jump down to 5.00 or 5.50. ONLY 1000s and NON TA-88v2 and up MODELS CAN BE FLASHED WITH THOSE FWS.

for 3000 and Go models it's simple. you update to 6.20 (or downgrade, IF YOU CAN using Davee's PSP Downgrader) and run 6.20 PRO-5 installer. then run perma patch, easy, you get BEST PSP game support and good PSX support. Only 2 of 30 games I tried would not work.

If you can't run perma patch or 6.20 you can use 6.35 PRO-5, which is the same FW but you must use what VF and Coldbird call "Fast Recoevery" to load the CFW upon each startup of the PSP after fully shutting down.

If you need any help or clarification let me know.

EDIT: History lesson aside and simple answer is: ANY PSP under or on 5.25 is hackable fully, just run PRO-5 on it and done. Run 6.20 version on 6.20 and perma patch it for a permanent CFW, done.

4. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    New PSPgos are guaranteed to be firmware 5.70 and fully hackable. I know this as fact.

5. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Really? Thought every new stock PSP would have the same stock firmware. Do GO models have that much backed up stock?

6. Schlupi

United States
    Supposedly, EVERY PSP Go was from one production and there are no 9g models. ONLY 3000s HAVE 9G MODELS according to research.

And now that Sony has announced no more PSP Go production, it's a given.

ONLY issue is ANY USED PSP Go will most likely have a higher firmware, since it requires you to update to use the shop, unless you find one that has not been used for a long time. I was talking about used models that may be above 6.35.

EDIT: And no, Gos don't have much back stock, they are getting pretty rare. They are only that firmware because they were one run, so naturally you'll find that firmware since it was only produced once. [​IMG]

EDITEDIT: AH. I noticed you quoted Nathan not me, whoops, I am correcting you correcting me even though it's not me. [​IMG]

Sorry I am tired I should get to sleep lol. Hope I was some help.

7. scott1982
    OP

Australia
    Thanks for the info Schlupi!
    I have been looking on Ebay at a psp 3000 which is a good price but i will take all the information you mentioned into account.

8. Schlupi

United States
    Like I said, get one of the older white or piano black models and you SHOULD be fine.

A surefire way to make sure you can hack it is check for an auction that tells you the FW it's on.

EDIT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PSP-3000-BUNDLE-L...=item43a6d2edfe

EXAMPLE. It's new, but little would you know it's a special holiday bundle from a few months back for Christmas. This PSP comes with a stock FW HIGHER than 6.35 and it can't be hacked.

EDITEDIT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Playstation-PSP-3...=item5643f343cf

This one here says it is on 6.2 (I would assume 6.20).

It should be safe to buy, and it has been refurbished and looks smexy.

It is a decent price, too, especially for a BUY IT NOW.

I would recommend a Go, though, if you don't mind the button setup, because it'll save you money since you will not need to buy a memory stick. But it's up to you, obviously.

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Er, 5.x has better PSX compatibility than 6.x...

10. Schlupi

United States
    I said that. Lol. But I recommend 6.20 instead because it's easier, and this person can choose either one.

5.03 ChickHEN is a pain in the ass and I know CFWEnabler has better support but he asked which is the EASIEST to hack, and I gave him a short (but long) brief explanation of everything needed, unless he wants to know more.

Lol. I realized I forgot to mention ChickHEN! How could I?

ChickHEN was a loader by Davee (the guy who invented the downgrader) to load homebrew, used mainly for people on 5.03 who had 3000 models. People made a CFWEnabler, which gave you all the same features as M33/GEN. Even getting some Prometheus love.

Things is it does not have as good PSP support, and the OP seems to want that as well.

HERE is a link to the PSX support for PRO. If your game don't work, then go for CFWEnabler but like I said most games work on PRO so it might not be needed.

11. scott1982
    OP

Australia
    Hey, Thanks for all the info.
    I got a psp 1002 with Prometheus 5.5 installed on it with a 4gb micro sd, my question is can i just buy say a 8gb card and just copy my 4gb onto the other and will it still be hacked?

12. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    You can do that.

13. mechagouki

Member mechagouki Kill 'em all...

Canada
    Your hack is on the PSP, not on the Memory Stick. You can switch sticks as much as you like - just format new sticks using your PSP and then add any plugins you like to use to the new stick. I also regularly back up SAVEDATA from all my sticks and merge it into one folder then copy it back to the sticks.

14. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    Hi, I recently hacked a PSP 1000 ( my brother's ) and since I've hacked it, I started liking it ( mainly for the retro stuff ).
    It fully hacked, and it runs 5.50 Prometheus and everything is working great.

My related question to this topic is, how much better is the PSP 2000 compared to the 1000 Phat ?
    Is the screen much brighter, and does the extra memory really help, or the benefits are just marginal ?
    I'm thinking of getting a newer PSP for my self, one that is potentially fully hackable, but I just don't know the difference between all the models and how to track down the right one.
    Could anybody clarify this for me please ?

15. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    It's marginal. I've started being a bit mental about my PSP's and have the OCD habit of effectively using my 2000's for "Sunday Best" and my 1000 for daily play and it's really hard to notice much difference when you're playing from MS.

The shoulder buttons on the 1000 are a little worse (but better than the Go!) and the D pad is definitely worse although unless you're a dedicated fighter fan it hardly matters. Additionally the screen is a little darker although this can be somewhat remedied by pumping up the brightness.

If it's just for retro stuff you may as well go cheap and get a 1000...plus that mean you can play wirelessly between your brothers PSP with fewer issues.

16. Arm73

Italy
    Thanks xist, that was my thought, running games from the MS anyway how much does the extra memory really matter ( not having to stream the games from the UMD ), plus, I'm performing THE "ORIGINAL" PSP D-PAD MOD on my PSP so the d-pad should gain some functionality.
    The only thing that matters is probably the display, because besides the brightness ( which I don't really care too much about ) I notice some slight ghosting on the PSP 1000 ( or maybe is just a low RT of the screen, which I'm pretty sure doesn't happen on the newer models, and also the TV out is pretty cool ! ( for some reason I can't get RemoteJoy Lite to work properly ).
    But on the bright side, my PSP 1000 has been playing literally and painlessly anything I threw at it, so that's a benefit !

17. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Can i just say - DO NOT OPEN IT UP to mod the Dpad unless it's really important to you to have it slightly raised. The 1000 Dpad is slightly sunk with less travel but it's by no means useless.

What trouble are you having with Remotejoy?

18. Arm73

Italy
    Well I downloaded a bunch of Street Fighter games, is that a good enough reason to desire a better D-Pad ? [​IMG]
    No seriously, I have Street fighter alpha 3 and the capcom reloaded collection and a bunch of others, and I thought the dpad trick is kind of neat and didn't require much skill.
    Is it really so dangerous to open it up ?

Remotejoy just wouldn't work.
    I get some errors about plugins not recognized and a hex number over black screen if I remember, and I did everything: installed the drivers ( first in vista and then also in xp ), enabled the plugins in the settings menu ( power on + R button ) and created all those .txt files in the right folders, but it wouldn't work.
    If you could point me out to a good tutorial, I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks for the help mate [​IMG]

19. Schlupi

United States
    Yeah... I HATED the 1000 D pad. I couldn't ever pull off the right moves with it being so shitty. Even the 2000 had a better one.

I remember when Street Fighter Alpha 3 came out on it it came with an attachment to pop on your D pad. [​IMG]

20. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    The original 'phat' PSP 1000 model must be pretty wazzock proof 'cause even mine is hacked and I'm a total hacktard. Downloading the new Lego Pirates game now. Running 5.50 Prometheus V whatever the up to date one is, I've rarely encountered any problems at all. Simple 'drag, drop, play' setup.

Only problem is my netbook is crap and so's my net connection so it takes bloody ages to download anything [​IMG]