Which non-video game games do you play? And how often?

which 'other' kind of games do you play? And how often?

• ...and I play them very often (around an hour a day or more)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm currently reading a book about the importance of gaming. ("Reality is broken: why games makes us better and how they can change the world", by Jane McGonigal). It's pretty interesting. One of the things she bangs on about is that gamers are more involved, give more creative solutions, usually spend more time on projects, and things like that.

While I doubt anyone is going to argue here about these positive traits, I sort of wonder to what degree "gamer" also means "playing games aside video games". Particularly on this forum, where even the 'general gaming discussion' pretty much exclusively has video game threads.

Hence this poll. I don't really have a breakdown of all the types of games, so I'm sorry if I miss stuff. The most should speak for themselves:

Cardgames: games involving mostly or exclusively around cards (duh!). Again: only the offline variants, please.
Board games: the most classical ones. Usually involves a board and your family somehow.
Sports: the non e-sports variant. And unless you play chess or similar on a pro-level, it should be a board game.
Puzzles: from sudoku's to crosswords to those mazes at the back of cereal boxes. Also things like Rubik's cubes and similar one player experiences.
Game-ified projects: this is a hard one to describe, as it's from the book. It's somewhat described as a job, but you do it for fun. The author claims that some projects (like wikipedia) are successful, at least for a part because they are set up as a game. This could warrant a thread in itself, but I'm mostly asking "how many projects are you involved in that give you the same satisfaction as a game?"
Other types: ...because I just threw this poll together and have no idea what I might have missed.

And of course: how often do you do any or all of the above? :)

Reactions: Margen67

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Card Games: I play a variety of playing card games, along with things like CAH and the newest Exploding Kittens thing. Usually on a game night type thing around once or twice a month, though it's been a couple months since that's happened cuz of moving and things.
Board games: Same thing as above. Stuff like Monopoly, Risk, Life etc. when we're in the mode for it. I played a whole 1 or 2 sessions of a DnD campaign with some of my friends once, to see what it was like...but that was it lol.
Sports: I play a round of golf every now and again when it's nice out but that's about it these days :(
Puzzles: Not too often anymore, used to do crosswords sometimes but meh, mobile games ended up taking up more of my time than these did after smart phones and stuff became a thing.

Reactions: HaloEffect17

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I used to play Mitos y Legendas (a chilean TCG. it was released in english too under the name Myths and Legends) when I was in high school/college but now days I have no one to play with even when I still have my deck and 2 more, my friends aren't interested and I don't see my old friends anymore.
And of course I play more traditional card games (carioca anyone??) with my family and friends every now and then.

But I do involve in some game-ified projects of me. one day I could think about an idea and start building it and have fun with it (even though I never finish it).
right now I have almost all the materials to build a SNES PC (I only lack the pico-psu) but because of time and having other things to do I haven't done a thing.
another project I have is write a story in the dead times I have in my work. I have the prologue done and the beginning of chapter 1 along with a few character profiles to work with, but I have to admit that after I did that my work load augmented and I have had little time to do other things.

I think video gaming and anime have consumed my free time almost completely.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
None of the given choices.
I don't play board games or cards or chess or anything else, being either multiplayer or solo gaming (not even solitary for example).
I don't play society games at all (I'm really asocial)

No multiplayer because I don't like being with other people.
no Solo games because I feel like I'm losing my time while I could do all the other things I have on my backlog.

I like puzzle, but I choose to do them on screen (easy game saving! no space required in the room, do it everywhere any time).
Very very rarely I help someone else resolves Crosswords on paper, that's it.

the only activity I did without a screen was reading, but even that has become non existent due to free time issue.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I gotta say I'm surprised card games are leading the poll (though the turn-up is rather low). I've always considered them up to par with board games. Aside the collecting aspect, obviously.

Meanwhile...I don't really want to say "I'm old", but gaming to me is just as much board games, card games and even sports. Especially the latter probably eats more of my time than video games nowadays.

Thaks for your votes and opinions, everyone thus far. :)

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing the hell out of Munchkin with my buddies lately.

Munchkin is like a streamlined card game version of Dungeons and Dragons/Diablo and it's fuuuuckin intense and I love it.

Basically every Sunday or Tuesday now I've been having a board game night at friends place and it's been great. Nice to get a break from digital games now and again.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I used to play Warhammer Fantasy Battle and 40K, and still have my armies tucked away in a cupboard somewhere, but I've not played for more than 2 years now. Kinda hard to play with tiny models made of tiny easily swallowed parts when you have a kid.

I also have a Solitaire/Patience app on my phone which I suppose comes under card games, that gets a bit of play when I'm bored and twiddling my thumbs at work or something.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None. I generally don't like board games or card games. I don't like sports at all, and puzzles I'd rather play a video game version of. Pretty much, if it's not a video game or a comic book, I rarely give it the time of day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...