0.0%
  5. Other (reply with answer)

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. 12 voter(s)
  1. banjo2

OP banjo2 gamer

United States
    So, I've been a part of the Wii hacking community for about 6 years now, and as of late last year, I subscribed to the Wii subforums, so that I could help whenever I could (admittedly I can't help with most problems, as they're usually relating to USB loaders and cIOS, which I barely got through myself)

Anyways, I've seen a lot of recommended starts for Wii hacking. Most here tend to say to "use ModMii" (™©® XFlak), although my preference has always been https://wii.guide, but I suppose that's because of my involvement with RC24, a few years ago.

I haven't used ModMii myself, but, based on what people say about it, it's extremely competent and straightforward.

However, I've seen some people (mostly on Discord) who still recommend CompleteSoftmodGuide or various video guides, which tend to become outdated sooner or later.

So, what's your preferred guide, and why?

Thank you for your time :)

Last edited by banjo2, Feb 2, 2020
    CORE, Archerite and alexander1970 like this.
  2. alexander1970

alexander1970 Jodelhoiti....

Austria
    Hello.:)

Honestly,this one:

- Letterbomb for the First Step.
    (using please.hackmii.com and the included HackMii Installer)

- HackMii Installer/BootMii
    (NAND Backup)

- Priiloader Installation

followed by

- WiiMod Lite
    - Simple IOS Patcher
    - (IOS236 Installer)

- d2x cIOS Installer

- Using the recommended sysCheck Version v2.4.0

for a sysCheck

And then (also using sysCheck.csv) the remaining Applications using
    @XFlak ´s Mod Mii for the Rest.

Thank you.:)

Draxikor, jeannotte and banjo2 like this.
  3. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Cyprus
    ModMiii, because it's more than just a guide, it can build you an emulated nand, or inject priiloader into an existing emunand, or create any unlimited number of custom CIOSs or forwarder dols. Because it has a standard guide, a usb loader set up guide as well as a minimalist syscheck updater guide not to mention a hackmii solutions wizard. It even has an "Abstinence wizard" for those wanting to keep their wii's virginity and still run homebrew/sneek via Casper. Because it can build sneek, because it was the original d2x CIOS installer.... the list goes on. But the biggest reason is that ModMii was built with continuous feedback from the then very active community and implemented generally agreed upon methods again aligned with the general consensus.

Other guides are great, heck I even contributed to complete soft mod guide and some others, and they serve a great purpose (in my mind for those looking to get a deeper understanding of what they're doing). Also, these guides are great for those who can't run ModMii because they don't have a windows device or vmmachine or similar.

Anyway, I could go on forever, but we'll end it here... for now

Last edited by XFlak, Feb 3, 2020
  4. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Addict

France
    Hello,

In 1 st) Modmii, it is complete and competent because we can manage it as we want, and what we want.

2nd) wii.guide == <explain well and easy to use

3rd) Syscheck == <to see what has been installed on the console.

4th) bootmii ==> for Nand backup

5th) Priiloader to counter updates and others.

6th) Cios d2x installer (version 8 final or version 10 beta 52), a little preference for version 8 final.:D

banjo2 and alexander1970 like this.
  5. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    ModMii, so I can get it done effortlessly.

banjo2, XFlak and alexander1970 like this.
  6. Vilagamer999

United Kingdom
  7. Aeredren

Aeredren Member
    Newcomer

France
    Does ModMii run natively on the free Posix OS with Linux kernel / BSD Kernel / GnuHurd kernel ? -> NOPE
    Therefore wii.guide I will go for ! ;)

jeannotte, banjo2 and alexander1970 like this.
  8. alexander1970

alexander1970 Jodelhoiti....

Austria
    Yes,a very good Point.:)

Maybe someday our "Wiitired" Friend @XFlak have a Look on this.:)
    (I am sure he will say "Try a VM or a Linux Bash Shell to use it....:rofl2:).

jeannotte and banjo2 like this.
  9. Aeredren

Aeredren Member
    Newcomer

France
    Well, you can achieve nearly anything ModMii does in Linux, but by the manual way. I'm still unsure about Neek2o nand btw

10. Archerite

Archerite GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    For every Wii I modded in the last 2 years I just follow wii.guide (and it's 3DS version too) mostly because it has clear instructions to follow...and it's updated with all the new exploits and methods. That's how I found out about Bluebomb being released. And it helped me to finally get USB Loader to work with Wii backups.

My first wii back in 2008-2010 I have no clue what I did and where the info came from. But I remember seeing HackMii, bootmii, hbc and the IOS installer's before when I got back into it a few years ago.

Just read here about ModMii and some of the features sound really interesting, but since it's windows only might explain why I did not try it ;)...using Linux for 12 years now as my daily OS. Even at work! :D

Might look into some of the others now too, have two 'virgin' Wii's to mod and try stuff on. It's getting oit of hand...but they are soooo cheap these days! :rofl2:

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - preferred, homebrew, guide