Hacking Which Is The Best Flashcart?

Transdude1996

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking at the possibility of getting a flashcart for me 3DS when it gets repaired (camera broke). With each firmware update, it seems that more and more flashcarts are being blocked and I was wonder which ones are still usable and which ones you guys would recommend for varied uses.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
if you want to not worry about blocks get a DSTwo
the R4ids.cn R4i Gold is good also

the DSTwo is the only flashcard that is NOT using a Demo header
by using a demo header it could mean the games left usable by them is very few so it could be likely that the flashcards could disappear very soon

DSTwo will survive as it is the only card that is working on 4.4.0-10 and is able to fully emulate a retail card, hence why its still using normal game headers

Reactions: Qtis

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As Pong said, the DSTwo is the most future proof so far. That still doesn't mean that there isn't a possibility that it'd be blocked too. Very improbable though :3

LurkerA

㊣New3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you want to not worry about blocks get a DSTwo
the R4ids.cn R4i Gold is good also

the DSTwo is the only flashcard that is NOT using a Demo header
by using a demo header it could mean the games left usable by them is very few so it could be likely that the flashcards could disappear very soon

DSTwo will survive as it is the only card that is working on 4.4.0-10 and is able to fully emulate a retail card, hence why its still using normal game headers

Don't think that's the case - if using the normal game headers or not. Anyway, the ball is at side of Nintendo this time..

Transdude1996

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also what are some good programs for these purposes:

Emulation: GB/GBC/GBA, Game Gear, Genesis, Neo Geo, NES, Sega CD, SNES
Videos
Picture Gallery
Other Recommended homebrew programs (both apps and games)

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Don't think that's the case - if using the normal game headers or not. Anyway, the ball is at side of Nintendo this time..

DSTwo can emulate the retail carts fully with its CPU, the team even confirm this
so any retail checks it can always pass, it can also use any size of file requested also due to it can hold header data on the SD card also

Also what are some good programs for these purposes:

Emulation: GB/GBC/GBA, Game Gear, Genesis, Neo Geo, NES, Sega CD, SNES
Videos
Picture Gallery
Other Recommended homebrew programs (both apps and games)

DSTwo is the only 3DS 4.4.0-10 flashcard that can Emulate GBA games and SNES games
no others can do this on the latest 3DS update
the DSTwo has its own emulators built by the team

ChaosTheorySD

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
DSTwo emulates GBA, right? Been out of the scene for a while, but looking to get a 3DS this Black Friday and my trusty Acekard 2i is no longer supported (also it stopped working anyway, so I guess the first point is moot). I wanted to go back and read the GBAtemp review on it, but they all seem to be broken at the moment.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My turn for a noob question: if the DSTwo can emulate GBA, could it also emulate a GBA cart for crossover games like Pokemon (e.g. To trigger the extra Pokemon appearing in certain areas)?
Not 100% sure but I doubt it. I believe you still need a Slot-2 flashcart. That or Desmume.

Monster3ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for the best card, it's debatable. The DSTwo in terms of features is the best, as it has a CPU in the card that lets it run GBA emulators and SNES emulators at (mostly) full speeds.So,Get a DSTwo if you want GBA/SNES emulators or an R4i Gold from r4ids.cn if all you want is DS games/homebrew.

Transdude1996

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for the best card, it's debatable. The DSTwo in terms of features is the best, as it has a CPU in the card that lets it run GBA emulators and SNES emulators at (mostly) full speeds.So,Get a DSTwo if you want GBA/SNES emulators or an R4i Gold from r4ids.cn if all you want is DS games/homebrew.
So, then which card is better for running both emulators, homebrew, and other programs?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So, then which card is better for running both emulators, homebrew, and other programs?
No other card compares to the DSTWO when it comes to emulation, but it's still not great at it. There are some speed and incompatibility issues.

Every card that can run Wood R4 has pretty much the same game and homebrew compatibility as the DSTWO, minus all the fancy features like real time save, in-game guide, free cheat and slow motion.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
DSTwo emulates GBA, right? Been out of the scene for a while, but looking to get a 3DS this Black Friday and my trusty Acekard 2i is no longer supported (also it stopped working anyway, so I guess the first point is moot). I wanted to go back and read the GBAtemp review on it, but they all seem to be broken at the moment.
Yes, the DSTwo can do GBA stuff, but it's not as good as a DS/Lite with Slot-2 (native speed, non-standard cheat support as they need to be patched into the ROM, or a PSP (not perfect emulation, but better than the DSTwo and has usual cheat support and save state and stuff).

My turn for a noob question: if the DSTwo can emulate GBA, could it also emulate a GBA cart for crossover games like Pokemon (e.g. To trigger the extra Pokemon appearing in certain areas)?
Not directly, but IIRC there's actually some linking function to trick the DS ROM into thinking the cart is present anyways. I've never used it so I wouldn't know where the setting is, or if it's a cheat in the database or something instead.

The DSTwo has the most and best features, period. Everything other (still-running) carts can do, the DSTwo can do as well or better, and the DSTwo has functions most other carts don't.

However if you're not going to use those added features (save state, slow-motion, in-game text file reading, etc.) a cheaper flash cart works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up