Which flashcart to replace Gateway blue?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by patey, Nov 20, 2016.

1. patey
    OP

patey Member

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2011
    Canada
    My girlfriend threw out my gateway blue card because something had spilled on it, I probably could have cleaned it but it's too late to retrieve it, so now I have to replace it. I know i can use a DS flashcart to do it, and I have an AceKard (I think? I've lost it somewhere in my house since I tried it) but it didn't work, but I'm not sure which I should buy as I haven't read a thing about flashcarts since I bought my gateway on release.

My 3DS XL is on firmware 9.2, with the gateway setup, and I believe it was 9.2 out of the box if that matters. I'd like to upgrade it to whichever firmware available to me is best if a newer one is right now as well so any tutorial recommendations would be appreciated but mainly I'd like to upgrade the Gateway firmware to play newer software/games.

Any help whatsoever is greatly appreciated :)

2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited by xtheman, Nov 20, 2016
  3. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
  4. patey
    OP

patey Member

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2011
    Canada
    CFW sounds awesome, thats what I had been hoping I'd be able to do when I bought it a couple years ago, but after bricking a psp once the process is a bit intimidating.

will I even need a blue card for my gateway if I use a CFW?
    I can't remember the word for it, I think it's sysNAND and emuNAND?, but will it be safe to save the homescreen stuff from my "gateway" home screen?
    I mean, is the "gateway" mode some sort of temporary CFW?

5. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    Gateway mode is a cfw flashcart hybrid. It reads from the flashcart but patches it with cfw
    Once you install cfw you only need sysNAND as you can unbrick it and it will always be safe to update.
    The guide is basically brickless as long as you follow this guide https://plailect.github.io/Guide/
    You can even use gateway and cfw! Just do https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/ after installing a9lh with the other guide and you can use a9lh and gateway and luma3ds cfw!
    As for your AceKard you can launch it with luma3ds (which the guide will install)!

brkun likes this.
  6. patey
    OP

patey Member

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2011
    Canada
    could I use my gateway as a normal flashcart after installing CFW?(rather than have to boot it through the browser to a different homescreen)
    also my sd card is formatted for use with the gateway, is there anything important i should backup?

7. clancy94

clancy94 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 18, 2008
    Gateway blue cards only play original DS games right?

8. wsquan171

wsquan171 GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    wsquan171 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2015
    China
    just follow.the guide. You're using emunand with GW. At the end of the guide it will give you an option to clone the emunand to sysnand. You'll end up with all your current games and saves unchanged. The guide will prompt you to do any necessary backups. After installing a9lh you can boot GW as a payload of luma. If you chose to use with sysnand only remember not to update in GW mode.

9. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon