Which Flash Cart should I get?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Mikozee, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Mikozee
    OP

Mikozee Newbie

Newcomer
    May 31, 2007
    United States
    Yes, I have read the sticky that's currently up there. I'm making this thread for clarification.

What I own: 1st-gen 3DS.

Firmware version: 5.1.0-11u

What I want to do: Play DS and 3DS roms. Anything indirectly related to that is a plus, but I don't care about anything else (i.e., integrated facebook support, web browser, youtube, etc.)

According to this sticky, it looks like my best card for this is the R4i Gold / R4i DSN.

My questions:

1. What's the difference? The chart's listed both as the same, but the two appear to be different products.

2. Does it support my firmware version?

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Neither of those cards play 3DS ROM. Only Gateway can play 3DS ROMs but you are on 5.1.0, Gateway only works on 4.1.0 to 4.5.0.

3. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    沖縄県
    List of 3DS flashcards: R4i Gold 3D Deluxe, 3DS Link, Orange 3DS, and Gateway.
    All of these play 3DS roms. (of course 4.1-4.5)

4. Mikozee
    OP

Mikozee Newbie

Newcomer
    May 31, 2007
    United States

Does that mean I'm out of luck because I have 5.1.0? Or is there an alternative?

5. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    沖縄県
    Yep, you're out of luck. :(

6. Mikozee
    OP

Mikozee Newbie

Newcomer
    May 31, 2007
    United States

Well that's unfortunate, but thank you for the timely response. Is there any word of any of the current cards updating to support the version that I have?

Also what if I just want to play DS roms? Is a standard R4 supported?

7. user64

user64 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    Canada
    Sorry if considered a necrobump.
    You can use a standard DS mode card such as R4i Gold 3DS or a Supercard DSTWO. If by standard R4 you mean the original R4, then no.