Where to go on Black Friday for electronics

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by RemixDeluxe, Nov 21, 2011.

1. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Member RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I need a good deal on a 1 TB drive that doesnt use a power source. Can anyone recommend a place for me to go? I tried looking around on best buy but they dont show what prices they will have on Black Friday.

2. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    Since I assume you're referring to external hard drives, I would recommend going to Newegg, and subscribing to their newsletter (yes, it is frequent, but it's important for some of the best e-coupons they give out, and you can always cancel after you get what you want). Look for "portable" USB hard drives, you should be able to see in the descriptions for all the products if the HDD can be powered solely by USB.

3. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Newegg is where I got the hardware for my current PC and that also have excellent customer service. I recommend going with them :D

4. exangel

United States
    I got a 500gb USB 3.0 portable external hard drive (gets full power from only one USB plug) for like $60 back in august from them, but the prices on mechanical HD's have gone up on hard drives hardcore, presumably due to extensive flooding in Thailand from what I heard in another thread

edit: ew, pun

But anyway, yeah, every year they outdo themselves with LOTS of Black Friday promotions.

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    bestbuy only has a 750GB that meets your requirements
    http://bfads.net/Best-Buy-Black-Friday-Seagate-FreeAgent-GoFlex-750GB-External-USB-2030-Portable-Hard-Drive-Black

they have a 3TB for $99 but its powered

6. RemixDeluxe
    OP

United States
    Woah where could I get a 3 TB thats that low. I wouldnt want that much but hopefully the same place would sell 1 TB without needing power.

How do I know what prices products will be on Black Friday. Will I just have to go to the store early and hope for the best?

7. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    For a HDD to not need power, it typically needs to be a 2.5" HDD (laptop size) in a USB enclosure. Like the Samsung S2. Those are around £70 now, although with the situation in Thailand and jumped up prices I don't know what it'll be in America.

8. RemixDeluxe
    OP

United States
    Whats the story behind Thailand? Why exactly are they responsible for the prices on HDD?

9. EugeneSalvador

Newcomer EugeneSalvador Advanced Member

Canada
    Walmart, Gamestop

Or if you're the online type, sometimes eBay has some promos during Black Friday.

10. exangel

United States
    Manufacturing.

back to the original subject: I've narrowed the category search for you with this link:
    http://www.newegg.co...%20and%20higher

If placing an order online is out of the question, then consider signing up for newsletters from places like Best Buy, Wal-mart, Target, Office Max/Depot, at least just for the holiday sales. I know you are probably deterred by the idea of signing up to receive ads, but that's the best way to get sale information before newspaper ads are distributed.

But keep in mind that you most likely won't have to pay Sales Tax to Newegg, and factor that in with the availability of free shipping-- I stalk the heck out of the Black Friday sales on their site before I leave the house the -day-of- the sales for the local shopping I do.

11. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    Staples usually has a 1TB for $50 after $25 off coupon that you can buy for a dollar or two online.

12. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    staples doesnt have a 1TB, only a 1.5TB for $130
    http://www.2011blackfridayads.com/staples/

13. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    Thanks to the situation in Thailand, you can likely kiss good bye any realistic prices on any form of drives if you don't hurry.

If you find anything for an even remotely good price, you better act fast.

1 person likes this.
  14. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    I'd love to find myself a decent GPU for a cheap price, but we don't have black friday's here.
    :hateit:

15. coolness

Banned coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Netherlands
    what is black friday?

16. exangel

United States
    It's the biggest shopping holiday in the United States. Because Thanksgiving, a nationally celebrated holiday always falls on the last Thursday of every November, it's a four day holiday weekend for many people, and all the national retailers try to one up each other by holding bigger sales to take advantage of the "Holiday Spending Spirit".
    I'm not sure why it was termed "Black Friday" except maybe as a joke by people who worked retail that utterly dread that day every year. One of my friends was working as a manager at a Borders store a few years ago and she said the overtime wasn't worth the pain of suffering through the constant onslaught of impatient customers desperate to save a buck.

17. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    here is just a small article on black friday
    http://useconomy.about.com/od/demand/f/Black_Friday_Name.htm

18. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    A random day when America likes to put up it's biggest sales. I forget what started it though - I keep forgetting anything I learn about American culture.
    EDIT: didn't see the other page. Disregard my answer.