Hacking Discussion Where is SX OS and 7.0-1 Support?

When will SX OS 7.0.0 support come?

• June 15th

Votes: 92 18.4%
  • Never

Votes: 57 11.4%
  • Nintendo Will Drop 8.0.0. First

Votes: 142 28.5%
  • Right after Atmosphere

Votes: 124 24.8%
  • With Bacon and Cheese

Votes: 84 16.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Essasetic

General Spectator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I prefer copy/paste and not installing games.
I mean whatever floats your boat. But I personally prefer for it just to be accessible right from the get go when I turn on my switch. Don't want to turn it on, go into albums, select it, wait for it to mount then go on it.

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone still using gateway for their 3ds at this point is just computer illiterate..

:rofl2: if only you knew. the GW card I've not touched for along time, when was the last update.. hmmm over 2 years ago. since then i've not touched the card at all. all the kids games work, except for the few last ones that came out for the 3ds. but they and the world has moved on.

I go back along time, as far back as the days of the Sinclair ZX81, worked in IT all my life so i wouldn't say i'm computer illiterate. then maybe my kids are but they are the ones using it and they dont have a problem with the GW card.

Reactions: gizmomelb

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the info,
it looks like things have moved on alot in the scene since SX came out. maybe i'll try Atmos for my friends, but for now I'm sticking with SX. I don't have a problem with Atmos, but just the haters of SX who post BS.

Just to wrap up, here are the pros and cons of both:

SX OS:

Pros:

Can mount XCIs. No need to install each game.

Can use USB storage - read NSPs for installation from USB, can mount XCIs from USB

EmuEMMC makes it potentially possible to dodge a ban, but difficult and the setup is a bit janky.

Cons:

Cannot boot current firmware. This one will hurt in the long run, if they don't fix it. Not being able to boot current firmware will mean eventually you will be unable to play newer games, even if you decrypt and repack them. Sooner or later a game will rely on functionality added in 7.x and that'll be all she wrote.

Costs money

Cannot use certain advanced features, like custom kernel modules (Overclocking module, etc)

Free CFW:

Pros:

The place where the actual bulk of the work behind SX OS originates. This matters for more than Internet arguments, it means that the new functionality that later appears in an SX OS update premieres here first. Stuff like the Atmosphere crash handler, the auto-inject upon restart functionality, the ability to boot current firmware (6.X before SX OS grabbed it from Atmo, 7.X now, which SX can't grab without swallowing their pride and showing a Sept logo on each boot). Running the free CFW, at the moment, means you get a higher-grade product in terms of supported functionality. This wasn't always the case with the 3DS - Gateway long had support for newer firmwares/exclusive exploits for Gateway installation on unhacked consoles/etc before CFW got to the point where it was objectively better. That took years of 3DS. It's not that way on the Switch.

Doesn't cost money.

Has the above mentioned handful of features that SX OS lacks.

Can run current firmware.

Can use kernel modules, can run the inevitable MasterKey7 releases without repackaging them.

Cons:

No XCI mounting, no USB storage.

Last edited by blahblah,
Reactions: JoeBloggs777

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is still one feature we need an internal cheat debugger afaik sys-netcheat cheat requires a computer conned through wifi/usb-C is there a way to feed sxos cheats to the debugger I assume it uses the same format of sys net cheat is compatable a drag&drop feature would be nice

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can see my earlier post about how it's easier and requires fewer steps to install NSP files over a USB connection than it is to add XCI files to your SD card.

i know you keep posting that, but are you telling me there are no advantages of XCi over NSP ? for me there is, I would still go for the XCI file over a NSP. I dont like how the NSP installs in a subdir. when I can just copy. paste, delete and run a XCI file, for me thats more important.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know you keep posting that, but are you telling me there are no advantages of XCi over NSP ? for me there is, I would still go for the XCI file over a NSP. I dont like how the NSP installs in a subdir. when I can just copy. paste, delete and run a XCI file, for me thats more important.
There are no advantages of XCI over NSP, and installing an NSP file correctly requires fewer steps than adding an XCI file to the SD card.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

NSPs do not install in 'a sub dir'. They install to the home screen. When you want to delete one, you can just hit the start button on the game and hit delete. You can tell the installer app to delete the .NSP file itself once the NSP is installed, the installer will prompt you right before you begin the installation.

Goldleaf can install NSP files from any folder, including the root of the microSD card.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There are no advantages of XCI over NSP, and installing an NSP file correctly requires fewer steps than adding an XCI file to the SD card.

The advantage would be not having to wait for the installation to finish, but the Switch is not the 3DS - installs are fast, a matter of minutes at most. The proper advantage would be being able to mount a legitimate dump of a game you own and passing along the certificate to Nintendo online, allowing online play of actual real backups. But SX OS can't boot current firmware, so no online for them. Plus all the telemetry and whatnot would shut you down anyway.

Last edited by blahblah,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NSPs do not install in 'a sub dir'. They install to the home screen. When you want to delete one, you can just hit the start button on the game and hit delete. You can tell the installer app to delete the .NSP file itself once you are done installing the game.

Goldleaf can install NSP files from any folder, including the root of the microSD card.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The advantage would be not having to wait for the installation to finish, but the Switch is not the 3DS - installs are fast, a matter of minutes at most. The proper advantage would be being able to mount a legitimate dump of a game you own and passing along the certificate to Nintendo online, allowing online play of actual real backups. But SX OS can't boot current firmware, so no online for them. Plus all the telemetry and whatnot would shut you down anyway.
The time it takes to install an NSP file over a USB connection is faster than the time it takes to write an XCI file to an SD card.

Reactions: Deleted User

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The time it takes to install an NSP file over a USB connection is faster than the time it takes to write an XCI file to an SD card.

That can vary, though. USB install isn't super fast, if your mSD card is fast enough.....I can see it going both ways. And I doubt this specific person would bother to setup USB install, it's non-trivial.

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
NSPs do not install in 'a sub dir'. They install to the home screen. When you want to delete one, you can just hit the start button on the game and hit delete. You can tell the installer app to delete the .NSP file itself once you are done installing the game.

I'm taking about on my sd card, they install into a subdir. I can keep all my XCI files in the root or subdir and just delete them, i cant do that with NSP files. I know i can use a program to do it or from the switch. but I'd prefer to use my pc. and copy.paste and del from there.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm taking about on my sd card, they install into a subdir. I can keep all my XCI files in the root or subdir and just delete them, i cant do that with NSP files. I know i can use a program to do it or from the switch. but I'd prefer to use my pc. and copy.paste and del from there.

What you are saying is not true. An installed NSP is like any other official eShop title. The install destination is inside the Nintendo folder, yes, but that's not a disadvantage, it's an advantage. It means that, if you want to delete a game, you can do it from the home screen on the Switch itself. Why don't you get that? I don't know how I am failing to explain this.

NSP installation:

Copy NSP to anywhere you want on micro SD, including in no folder at all. Open Goldleaf. Select the NSP, hit install. Hit 'delete after installation'. Install finishes. Go back to the home menu, game will appear as an icon. Play the game. When you want to delete it, hit start at the main screen of the Switch and choose 'delete software'. Just like an eShop game. That is a better way of managing game deletions in that you do not need to power off and do the deletion on a separate device.

Alternatively, you can plug the Switch into a PC and use an app to install the NSP to the Switch from the PC, without ever copying the NSP to the Switch.

Last edited by blahblah,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That can vary, though. USB install isn't super fast, if your mSD card is fast enough.....I can see it going both ways. And I doubt this specific person would bother to setup USB install, it's non-trivial.
Sure, but the write speed of a microSD card is almost always going to max out at around 12 MB/s, and USB installations are typically more than twice that speed.

Regardless, if we count the transfer time of an XCI file and the installation time of an NSP file each as one step, NSP installations are far fewer steps.

Last edited by Lacius,
D

Deleted User

:rofl2: if only you knew. the GW card I've not touched for along time, when was the last update.. hmmm over 2 years ago. since then i've not touched the card at all. all the kids games work, except for the few last ones that came out for the 3ds. but they and the world has moved on.

I go back along time, as far back as the days of the Sinclair ZX81, worked in IT all my life so i wouldn't say i'm computer illiterate. then maybe my kids are but they are the ones using it and they dont have a problem with the GW card.
Thank you for proving my point about you being computer illiterate~

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
maybe I should have made it clear, i don't play games anymore. I haven't since I finished Res Evil 3 on the PSX. but my kids obliviously do. If i played games still i would probably be using the latest ver of Atmos with the latest homebrew utils. but I dont and my kids just want to play games and are not interested in kip loading, homebrew utils. for me SX is the complete package and makes it easy for them to use.

Reactions: MachRc and josete2k

josete2k

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Sure, but the write speed of a microSD card is almost always going to max out at around 12 MB/s, and USB installations are typically more than twice that speed.

Regardless, if we count the transfer time of an XCI file and the installation time of an NSP file each as one step, NSP installations are far fewer steps.

I assume you're installing ALL your nsps in sysnand...

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe I should have made it clear, i don't play games anymore. I haven't since I finished Res Evil 3 on the PSX. but my kids obliviously do. If i played games still i would probably be using the latest ver of Atmos with the latest homebrew utils. but I dont and my kids just want to play games and are not interested in kip loading, homebrew utils. for me SX is the complete package and makes it easy for them to use.

You're stuck in a stupidity loop. There's not going to be anything easy about booting XCIs on 6.2 going forward. SX isn't willing to show a Sept logo on boot, so they can't run 7.x. They do not have the skill set to find the flaws that the Atmosphere people found that enabled them to build Sept. They are stuck.

Your future is newer games straight up not working, because they require OS functionality that was introduced in 7.x. Your present is game updates not working unless you install them using an installer that has the ability to strip the 7.x version string check. Soon, games and updates will use MasterKey7, which means that skipping the check along will not be enough. The package will have to be decrypted and rebuilt just for SX users.

Your kids will find it easier to select a game from the home menu and the game just launching, rather than having to go into a separate menu each time to mount the title and then trying to launch it. Not that doing so is hard, but it's nicer not to have to. Installing a game is no easier or harder than mounting it from the SX menu.

Last edited by blahblah,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume you're installing ALL your nsps in sysnand...
If we're installing to the SD card using Tinfoil and a USB connection, then you can throw what I said out the window. Regardless, it's fewer steps with USB-installation.

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You're stuck in a stupidity loop. There's not going to be anything easy about booting XCIs on 6.2 going forward. SX isn't willing to show a Sept logo on boot, so they can't run 7.x. They do not have the skill set to find the flaws that the Atmosphere people found that enabled them to build Sept. They are stuck.

Your future is newer games straight up not working, because they require OS functionality that was introduced in 7.x. Your present is game updates not working unless you install them using an installer that has the ability to strip the 7.x version string check. Soon, games and updates will use MasterKey7, which means that skipping the check along will not be enough. The package will have to be decrypted and rebuilt just for SX users.

Your kids will find it easier to select a game from the home menu and it just launches, rather than having to go into a separate menu each time to launch it. Not that doing so is hard, but it's nicer not to have to. Installing a game is no easier or harder than mounting it from the SX menu.

well there is still no reason to update to 7.X until I have to, i'll stay with SX and on 6.2.

I dont think most if not all Sx users have a problem with Atmos, but at the moment there is no reason for me to go that way. maybe later down the road, but for the last 8 months Sx has worked really well for me and many other Sx users.

were not Atmos haters :)

Reactions: gizmomelb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Unity is a asshole and I want to set it on fire
    +1
    and C++
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina