Hacking Where did Vortex Dump my Game, USB is empty?

thund3rstruck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I followed this guide:

to dump my copy of Persona 5. Everything went smoothly. The game dumped and eventually automatically shut down my console.

However, when I move my USB drive to my PC the USB hard drive is empty, except the dumper.cfg file I originally placed on it.

Where did the Vortex tool dump my game files? I'm guessing it had to have somehow dumped to my internal hard drive.

No idea what to do now... :(

thund3rstruck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, when I move my USB drive to my PC the USB hard drive is empty, except the dumper.cfg file I originally placed on it.
Where did the Vortex tool dump my game files? I'm guessing it had to have somehow dumped to my internal hard drive.

Okay so poking around via FTP I see that my external USB hard drive is being mounted under /mnt/USB1 but this tool is dumping to /mnt/USB0.

I have no idea what USB0 is since I only have one drive plugged in and I can see by the file contents that its USB1.

So it seems I am going to have to FTP over the game dump from /mnt/USB1 to my computer to continue creating the fake pkg.

Last edited by thund3rstruck,

thund3rstruck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn that sucks.... was going to say try another hdd or the other usb ports if you have OG or pro...

Its been a long few days of troubleshooting but after peeking at the main.c code and doing some analysis it seems I've got to pony up the $26 for a proper USB thumb drive. I tried 3 enclosures on 2 PS4 console (one OG and one Pro). All of them exhibited the same issue. The only USB key I have is 8GB and I verified that this is being mounted by the PS4 on /mnt/usb0 so I should be good to go once I get a new USB key (one large enough to dump my discs to)

Reactions: KiiWii

StarLord4Ever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait a second. I have an external usb 500gb hard drive in its own enclosure. Plug in usb nearest to blue ray disc drive and it dumps to it fine. I’m using the al-azif PC web host method if that matters. Make sure you are fat 32.

Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait a second. I have an external usb 500gb hard drive in its own enclosure. Plug in usb nearest to blue ray disc drive and it dumps to it fine. I’m using the al-azif PC web host method if that matters. Make sure you are fat 32.
Exfat not fat 32.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Its been a long few days of troubleshooting but after peeking at the main.c code and doing some analysis it seems I've got to pony up the $26 for a proper USB thumb drive. I tried 3 enclosures on 2 PS4 console (one OG and one Pro). All of them exhibited the same issue. The only USB key I have is 8GB and I verified that this is being mounted by the PS4 on /mnt/usb0 so I should be good to go once I get a new USB key (one large enough to dump my discs to)
64gb is plenty for even the biggest gane pkg.

Reactions: thund3rstruck

thund3rstruck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have a 1tb HD with enclosure too, and it works good

Yup, and if you were to FTP into your PS4 with those devices connected you would see that they are mounted on /mnt/USB0 and that's why it works for you.

Unfortunately for me, I have 2 separate enclosures and both of them cause the linux plug-dev driver to mount 2 devices.
The USB driver device is mounted to /mnt/USB0 and the mass storage is mounted to /mnt/USB1.

It sucks that I had to dig through the C code on GitHub to figure out why its not working for me but now that I know its not a big deal. I ordered a USB Key that should be here in a few days.

Side Note
Installing FPKG packages from this USB enclosure works just fine since that utility scans all the attached USB devices for PKG files. Its only the dumper that seems to be effected by this and the likelihood that you will be affected comes down to which USB Enclosure you are using.

Last edited by thund3rstruck,

thund3rstruck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I feel like a total bufoon. The disk I had plugged into my USB to SATA adapter had a 40MB hidden MBR partition at the 0:0 position in the partition table. Using a Clonezilla boot disk allowed me to blow out the existing partition table and create a single partition that spans the entire disk and low and behold, now the PS4 mounts /mnt/USB0 to the proper location and the dumper is dumping files.

E8vuDI1.jpg

Issue resolved.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I feel like a total bufoon. The disk I had plugged into my USB to SATA adapter had a 40MB hidden MBR partition at the 0:0 position in the partition table. Using a Clonezilla boot disk allowed me to blow out the existing partition table and create a single partition that spans the entire disk and low and behold, now the PS4 mounts /mnt/USB0 to the proper location and the dumper is dumping files.

E8vuDI1.jpg

Issue resolved.

Brilliant, good info to know for future issues! Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back