ROM Hack Where are the trainers?

SirByte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Subject says it all.

Back in the GBA days, Eurasia would release some hot new game and shortly thereafter VENOM would strike with a +6 trainer. Or Mode7 would have a cool release and the same day Quartex would release a +4 with in-game level skip.

Because of the encryption nowadays, it won't be a simple .ips (or .xdelta3) patch anymore, until we're able to run fully unencrypted ROMs.

But my question is: is there currently a technical reason we don't see these (e.g. we're able to patch data but not executable stuff) or is it just a general lameness in the scene? Of course they would be for single player/offline use only.

SirByte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The scene has just gotten lazy about learning cryptography, it's becoming a dying art as encryption methods get stronger.

No, the decryption is here and simple. What I meant was, if you make a small change to a ROM you'd still have to rebuild the ROM which would -because of the encryption- be completely different from the original, so there'd be more than a couple kB difference. But still, you'd expect at least a few releases, the ones you just want to run through once and forget about it.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
No, the decryption is here and simple. What I meant was, if you make a small change to a ROM you'd still have to rebuild the ROM which would -because of the encryption- be completely different from the original, so there'd be more than a couple kB difference. But still, you'd expect at least a few releases, the ones you just want to run through once and forget about it.

Rebuilding a ROM also breaks the Nintendo signature, and we still have no tools to sign ROMs with.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Funnily enough I think I am the only person I have seen make any patches, it's perfectly doable, but it's a bit long winded and dependent on your patches not affecting the games file sizes too much, but here is 2 examples
ok so it seems a ppf patch is perfectly doable...seeing as i re-xored rather than rebuilding the game is mostly the same so ppf works great, word of warning you need to delete the 1.2 patch or they will not appear , also i removed a few pokemon from route 12 to get the files sizes to match with the original....so its likely any encounters on route 12 will crash the game....but here is what you get roaming free, all in mega form and level 100
Route 2

Venusaur
Charizard X
Charizard Y
Blastoise
Alakazam
Gengar
Kangaskhan
Pinsir
Gyarados

Santalune Forest

Gardevoir
Mawile
Aggron
Medicham
Banette
Absol
Garchomp
Lucario
Abomasnow
Latias
Latios

Route 3

Aerodactyl
Mewtwo X
Mewtwo Y
Ampharos
Scizor
Houndoom
Tyranitar
Heracross
Blaziken
Latias

just use ppf-o-matic to apply to the US rom (not sure if it will work on other regions)

as always....enjoy

PS i wonder if this counts as the first public rom patch :P

ok well it was pointed out not everyone knows how to rebuild the rom.....so here you go custom 1-1 patch file, this will replace level 1-1 with the 1-1 from here, enjoy it

it will probably only work on the US version as that's what i had decrypted at the time....feel free to try it on the EU release but i don't think it will work

But yeah not quite trainers, but more a poc that patch files for roms is actually doable

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)