1. SirByte

OP SirByte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Subject says it all.

Back in the GBA days, Eurasia would release some hot new game and shortly thereafter VENOM would strike with a +6 trainer. Or Mode7 would have a cool release and the same day Quartex would release a +4 with in-game level skip.

Because of the encryption nowadays, it won't be a simple .ips (or .xdelta3) patch anymore, until we're able to run fully unencrypted ROMs.

But my question is: is there currently a technical reason we don't see these (e.g. we're able to patch data but not executable stuff) or is it just a general lameness in the scene? Of course they would be for single player/offline use only.

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Malwarebytes Bootable Developer
    Developer

United States
    The scene has just gotten lazy about learning cryptography, it's becoming a dying art as encryption methods get stronger.

3. SirByte

OP SirByte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    No, the decryption is here and simple. What I meant was, if you make a small change to a ROM you'd still have to rebuild the ROM which would -because of the encryption- be completely different from the original, so there'd be more than a couple kB difference. But still, you'd expect at least a few releases, the ones you just want to run through once and forget about it.

4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Malwarebytes Bootable Developer
    Developer

United States
    Rebuilding a ROM also breaks the Nintendo signature, and we still have no tools to sign ROMs with.

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Funnily enough I think I am the only person I have seen make any patches, it's perfectly doable, but it's a bit long winded and dependent on your patches not affecting the games file sizes too much, but here is 2 examples

But yeah not quite trainers, but more a poc that patch files for roms is actually doable

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - trainers, Where,