Where are the trainers?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by SirByte, Mar 6, 2015.

1. SirByte
    OP

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    Subject says it all.

Back in the GBA days, Eurasia would release some hot new game and shortly thereafter VENOM would strike with a +6 trainer. Or Mode7 would have a cool release and the same day Quartex would release a +4 with in-game level skip.

Because of the encryption nowadays, it won't be a simple .ips (or .xdelta3) patch anymore, until we're able to run fully unencrypted ROMs.

But my question is: is there currently a technical reason we don't see these (e.g. we're able to patch data but not executable stuff) or is it just a general lameness in the scene? Of course they would be for single player/offline use only.

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    The scene has just gotten lazy about learning cryptography, it's becoming a dying art as encryption methods get stronger.

3. SirByte
    OP

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    No, the decryption is here and simple. What I meant was, if you make a small change to a ROM you'd still have to rebuild the ROM which would -because of the encryption- be completely different from the original, so there'd be more than a couple kB difference. But still, you'd expect at least a few releases, the ones you just want to run through once and forget about it.

4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Rebuilding a ROM also breaks the Nintendo signature, and we still have no tools to sign ROMs with.

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Funnily enough I think I am the only person I have seen make any patches, it's perfectly doable, but it's a bit long winded and dependent on your patches not affecting the games file sizes too much, but here is 2 examples

But yeah not quite trainers, but more a poc that patch files for roms is actually doable