Homebrew Question when will we be able to load NSP from USB disk. outside of SXOS

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean being able to install and play games from USB, when USB is unplugged cloud icon appears when its plugged in, you can play. the concept is somewhat simple. but I'm sure it will take a lot of work on the development side. I would love to have someone implement this so i don't have to spend a lot of money on a larger microSD (im already at 256gb)

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
do you really need all those 256gb worth of games at one time?
for sure you're only playing 5-10 max of them regularly.
i mean the implementation will come in the future but there's a lot of other ways to manage your storage.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a bunch of work for a small amount of people, for a larger amount of people to do a quite smaller amount of work tbh. I have a 128gb card with plenty of games retro/new and that's more than enough

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also Cyber Monday Sales on larger cards are an idea (specially on amazon)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Might be a difficult thing to accomplish without going the easy route of redirecting SD access to USB. (which then means you can use SD or USB, but not both simultaneously)
Now that doesn't mean it won't happen, but I think CFW devs are focusing on other things at the moment, such as emuNAND. Meanwhile SX has both emuNAND and XCI loading with USB support, and yet people still claim all they do is steal from the open source devs. Not that they don't do that, but they do bring a lot of exclusive features to the table as well. Would be great if they open sourced their .xci and emuNAND code to give back to the devs they stole from but eh they have to make money somehow I guess. Anyway, I digress.

Nintendo has hinted that it may be supported officially in the future however.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be a difficult thing to accomplish without going the easy route of redirecting SD access to USB. (which then means you can use SD or USB, but not both simultaneously)
Now that doesn't mean it won't happen, but I think CFW devs are focusing on other things at the moment, such as emuNAND. Meanwhile SX has both emuNAND and XCI loading with USB support, and yet people still claim all they do is steal from the open source devs. Not that they don't do that, but they do bring a lot of exclusive features to the table as well. Would be great if they open sourced their .xci and emuNAND code to give back to the devs they stole from but eh they have to make money somehow I guess. Anyway, I digress.

Nintendo has hinted that it may be supported officially in the future however.
I believe it'll happen once there's enough large games out there to warrant it. They don't want memory to be a limiter on their sales

Freezerbomb

Likes tacos
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean being able to install and play games from USB, when USB is unplugged cloud icon appears when its plugged in, you can play. the concept is somewhat simple. but I'm sure it will take a lot of work on the development side. I would love to have someone implement this so i don't have to spend a lot of money on a larger microSD (im already at 256gb)
Probably not going to happen anytime soon. All the cool kids are loading from USB on SXOS. Why don't you want to be one of the cool kids?!

Last edited by Freezerbomb,

tinkle

taciturn shill girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just get SXOS. XCI is superior now - you can roll updates and DLC into your XCI game and just load and play.

Reactions: jakkal

Sigma_Guy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know anything about XCIs or NSPs, but I've personally been looking in to different ways of having the Switch "talk" to things over USB for Nx-USB. However, somehow getting the Switch to be able to act as a computer to talk to a USB drive is not just difficult, it is more difficult than having the Switch act as a device to talk to another computer. Here's just some of the different things going on with that:

1) Nintendo, in there infinite wisdom, included a pretty nice set of low-level commands for using the Switch as a USB device, and a *very* nice set of commands for using controllers/keyboards/etc over USB, and a single, general, difficult to use command set for doing *anything else* USB related.

2) None of the current toolchains even including bindings for the commands Nintendo does have, so any new implementation would involve going all the way to the Operating System and patching the toolchains.

3) After *that* is finally done, we only gained the ability to talk byte-by-byte to a USB device using the Switch as a host; we still need to implement the (pretty long and complicated) SCSI protocol on top so that we can talk to USB *drives*, specifically.

4) After *that* is done, we still need to find/port drivers for ALL the different file systems that we want to talk to; yes, even FAT32.

5) Finally, this will give us the ability to add in USB support to something like NX-Shell; for something like loading support we'd then need to implement this as a kernel module AND including custom kernel code to allow for a more arbitrary LayerFS-like system.

In short, probably not happening for a while at least.

tinkle

taciturn shill girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know anything about XCIs or NSPs, but I've personally been looking in to different ways of having the Switch "talk" to things over USB for Nx-USB. However, somehow getting the Switch to be able to act as a computer to talk to a USB drive is not just difficult, it is more difficult than having the Switch act as a device to talk to another computer. Here's just some of the different things going on with that:

1) Nintendo, in there infinite wisdom, included a pretty nice set of low-level commands for using the Switch as a USB device, and a *very* nice set of commands for using controllers/keyboards/etc over USB, and a single, general, difficult to use command set for doing *anything else* USB related.

2) None of the current toolchains even including bindings for the commands Nintendo does have, so any new implementation would involve going all the way to the Operating System and patching the toolchains.

3) After *that* is finally done, we only gained the ability to talk byte-by-byte to a USB device using the Switch as a host; we still need to implement the (pretty long and complicated) SCSI protocol on top so that we can talk to USB *drives*, specifically.

4) After *that* is done, we still need to find/port drivers for ALL the different file systems that we want to talk to; yes, even FAT32.

5) Finally, this will give us the ability to add in USB support to something like NX-Shell; for something like loading support we'd then need to implement this as a kernel module AND including custom kernel code to allow for a more arbitrary LayerFS-like system.

In short, probably not happening for a while at least.
sxos already does this, and released a module for homebrew developers for free.

Taorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sxos already does this, and released a module for homebrew developers for free.

Which only works on sx os. It's a clever business move, as you motivate people to create more value for your product. And that without any further cost.

tinkle

taciturn shill girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which only works on sx os. It's a clever business move, as you motivate people to create more value for your product. And that without any further cost.
Right, but it's still been implemented. So there's no excuse for others not to use it, or to create their own facsimile.

Taorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, but it's still been implemented. So there's no excuse for others not to use it, or to create their own facsimile.

Why is there no excuse for others, not to use a library that only works on one cfw?

Last edited by Taorn,

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you really need all those 256gb worth of games at one time?
for sure you're only playing 5-10 max of them regularly.
i mean the implementation will come in the future but there's a lot of other ways to manage your storage.
why are you like this
he asked a question, not your opinion

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, easy to learn despite having some relatively complex rules
    +1
  • D @ dadadad:
    Should I just accept that I won't play this game anymore, or is there a way to solve this problem?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For some reason I remember a bunch of swear words tho, lol
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @dadadad I would do like @The Real Jdbye said, they are very wise.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    блядь
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You get your nap today?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With your wife
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tell that B to bring me home some dinner, when you done with her...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mrs.B is what I call her she said she left you a $10 jack in the box giftcard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh ok, cool thanks, I found it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the...