When will gbatemp irc be back?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I didn't use the IRC but I can see why a lot of people would like to still have it as a function. Not everyone wants to use Discord and giving another option for them to use a chat system, like IRC, would be nice.

Smiths

AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
there are other servers that have nickserv and aren't EFNet. You'd have less controls since it's not your own IRC server.

IRCHighway has chanserv and all that. just encourage migration there or something if it costs all that money i love you costello

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I understand exactly why someone would prefer IRC over Discord, but if its for this community then whats wrong with the new Chat system on the forum that replaces the shoutbox? (https://gbatemp.net/chat)
Genuine question because I'm genuinely curious, it seems liike a solid replacement but there probably is some reasoning or nostgalgia that I'm missing.

Reactions: CeeDee

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I didn't use the IRC but I can see why a lot of people would like to still have it as a function. Not everyone wants to use Discord and giving another option for them to use a chat system, like IRC, would be nice.
It's impossible for us moderators to mod every place as well. Also it's a bad business to keep something that costs a lot of money that few people use. When the same function would work with a chatroom on this very website.

Reactions: Seriel

Surkow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I visited it a few weeks ago and no one seemed to be active.

I disabled it yesterday. Didn't get any reaction from anyone until now.

If no one uses it I might as well keep it disabled because it costs money.
As a user, whenever an IRC server is down the normal response is to wait it out until it reconnects. Sometimes port or domain/address changes are required. And that is exactly what I've been waiting for - for it to reconnect.

When you are joining iRC for over a decade this is the normal response.

Well there is discord now so there is that
Sadly enough Discord is a fad. It has a low barrier of entry and it attracts many people. But due to its closed nature it will never be a replacement for IRC. All I need is a good text based protocol that is accessible via any client under the sun.

I'll wait for the Matrix protocol to gain enough traction and then use a Matrix-IRC bridge to continue my presence on IRC.

IRC isn't the best protocol for chat, but it survived for over 33 years unlike the majority of the other chat systems out there. I primarily visit dozens of servers and over 50 channels to keep in touch with the people who reside there. GBAtemp IRC used to be one of those.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I understand exactly why someone would prefer IRC over Discord, but if its for this community then whats wrong with the new Chat system on the forum that replaces the shoutbox? (https://gbatemp.net/chat)
Genuine question because I'm genuinely curious, it seems liike a solid replacement but there probably is some reasoning or nostgalgia that I'm missing.
The forum chat doesn't have a client and is worse than IRC or discord and can't really integrate with any normal desktop app that someone may already be using to connect.

@linuxares: Honestly if it were a migration of just the current people who frequent the chat, it wouldn't be a problem to have one of the few regulars as just a moderator of the IRC. Most of the people that hang out in the IRC don't need to be moderated for anything. At worst, maybe it's like a rare bot or someone who's ticked off at gbatemp.

Last edited by jurassicplayer,

Surkow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think many of the people who were regulars can operate and moderate their own IRC channels. There is no requirement for outside moderation.

The primary reason to retain the server is to avoid fracturing the existing community. You can always attempt a repeat of the Freenode server drama. The move to a different server (Libera.Chat) was painful and destroyed a large number of communities.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Smiths

Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
if anyone else is willing to run an IRC server I'm OK to point the DNS at you.

Send me the details via PM and I'll pick the most reasonable one

i get the modding aspect of it though. unless you have moderators on this site who enjoyed IRC you're not going to find new ones who want to take up that responsibility.

but as said above, IRC has survived for a long long time and some of us are in channels that are down to 2 other people but that's the "room" we sit in. It's the original "group DM" that people can pop in and out of.

it's also available everywhere. Web-based chat is not a replacement for literally SSHing via any device somewhere and loading IRSSI connected to ZNC or whatever your preferred method is.

It's impossible for us moderators to mod every place as well. Also it's a bad business to keep something that costs a lot of money that few people use. When the same function would work with a chatroom on this very website.
Again, it comes down to moderating the channel/network. I don't know what the $$$ figure is. Figured it was low-bandwith crap you could run off your existing hosting.

Reactions: Seriel

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly my hosting right now is shared hosting (I only need token websites and files 99.9% of the time) so no real scope to run an IRC container/server and my home internet/power is not really reliable enough to stick a pi on it or something.

IRCHighway has chanserv and all that. just encourage migration there or something if it costs all that money i love you costello

Is IRChighway standard in most clients nowadays? It is one of the few other servers I am always on so would be happy enough to set up #gbatemp/#gbatemp.net on that but when loading it up with other clients over the years I have often had to go fetch ports/addresses for it and if we can spare that for those joining I might be inclined to look elsewhere.

I didn't know the GBATemp IRC ever existed (I don't think it's advertised anywhere on the site), but if I did, I would of joined.
Its general existence predates the site but after efnet got annoying to use it went for own servers. It did used to be on the front page but got lost in a reshuffle so was mostly those that dug deep or that already knew at that point. Probably added to why it also appeared more inactive during Costello's sampling as fresh blood as it were is needed to keep conversation flowing.

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly enough Discord is a fad.
Yes, and like all fads, it will end eventually. I used Pidgin for AIM, YIM, and MSN, all of which are dead now. Now I use Pidgin for Discord, which will sooner or later go the way of previous closed protocols.

Protocol fads aren't too bad, as long as you find a way to isolate yourself from the ugly interfaces they try to foist on you. I'm happy to use Discord as long as I can continue to use my lightweight client instead of the dreadful, bloated Electron monstrosity that Discord wants me to use. When Discord dies, I will hopefully be able to use the next protocol fad in Pidgin, so the change will make very little difference to me, as my chats will continue to look the same as they have for the last 10+ years.

Smiths

Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
Is IRChighway standard in most clients nowadays? It is one of the few other servers I am always on so would be happy enough to set up #gbatemp/#gbatemp.net on that but when loading it up with other clients over the years I have often had to go fetch ports/addresses for it and if we can spare that for those joining I might be inclined to look elsewhere.

it can be joined from a lot of clients. I quickly registered #gbatemp.net/#gbatemp with chanserv there. it has a lot less shit than EFNet and has felt more stable.

i'm in no mood to be an IRC moderator but if a lot of the GBATemp stuff can be ported easily then y'know... may not be horrible. People did a good job banning/etc. on the old network.

Trophies
Website
fmlatghor.com
XP
Country
United States
I visited it a few weeks ago and no one seemed to be active.

I disabled it yesterday. Didn't get any reaction from anyone until now.

If no one uses it I might as well keep it disabled because it costs money.
This is unfortunate. Although I haven't been that active in #gbatemp.net, I was using it often to message mlc about gt, my Ghost Trick RE project. If I need to run my own ircd or use XMPP instead, so be it. But it least I know what happened. I agree with FAST's points. Why didn't I react 'till recently? Because I have a life and first assumed it was a temporary downtime.

This is disheartening.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
This thread is the best representation of taking something for granted, then complain as soon as a change happened.

The gbatemp admins don't owe the users the services, the services are offered based on the demand and actual use, and if the IRC was taken down because the user base was summarised to 3 users idle for months, it's simply not worth keeping, in my honest opinion.

IRC lived for 3 decades, and so what? If you only claim this for bragging rights, good for you, if no one used a car for 50 years and bragged owning it in their garage in perfect condition, I'm sure it would be just as impressive, but for what purpose really?

Imagine a restaurant at the end of your street, if it has customers for decades, then someday less and less people except the handful of very old customers still came, things would eventually become unsustainable for the very few people who still came, so what happens usually? Not too unrealistic to make 2+2 and know 4 means it's going out of business, no matter how upset the regular customers may be, that's just how life works, and I admit I hate it too.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I can still turn the server back on guys.
The number of reactions here seems to prove that the server was still in use.

Again I made the assumption that no one was using it anymore because :
- I logged in and I didn’t see anyone there
- I asked around and I was told it was barely used anymore
- everyone is on discord, telegram, etc.

But this thread seems to confirm that there is still demand. I’ll do what it takes to reactivate the server soon then.

Smiths

Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
This thread is the best representation of taking something for granted, then complain as soon as a change happened.

The gbatemp admins don't owe the users the services, the services are offered based on the demand and actual use, and if the IRC was taken down because the user base was summarised to 3 users idle for months, it's simply not worth keeping, in my honest opinion.

IRC lived for 3 decades, and so what? If you only claim this for bragging rights, good for you, if no one used a car for 50 years and bragged owning it in their garage in perfect condition, I'm sure it would be just as impressive, but for what purpose really?

Imagine a restaurant at the end of your street, if it has customers for decades, then someday less and less people except the handful of very old customers still came, things would eventually become unsustainable for the very few people who still came, so what happens usually? Not too unrealistic to make 2+2 and know 4 means it's going out of business, no matter how upset the regular customers may be, that's just how life works, and I admit I hate it too.

how old are you?

Smiths

Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
I can still turn the server back on guys.
The number of reactions here seems to prove that the server was still in use.

Again I made the assumption that no one was using it anymore because :
- I logged in and I didn’t see anyone there
- I asked around and I was told it was barely used anymore
- everyone is on discord, telegram, etc.

But this thread seems to confirm that there is still demand. I’ll do what it takes to reactivate the server soon then.

how much does it cost to run Costello? send me a DM.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
how old are you?
Old enough to get tired of people in general, and just old enough to also be passively watching the world burn with a lovely grin, but that's hardly relevant to this thread, or the fact my reply was mostly composed of real world observations, is it?

Plus, it looks like the situation goes into favourable hands once again, so in the end, everyone dies happy, like they should be :)

That reminds me I have not actually used IRC in a really long time... If remember correctly, I just stopped logging in because there was literally nothing happening for long periods, sometime for several days in a row, lol

I probably have lost all my Hexchat setup since, anyway.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: oh cool, I saw Space Invaders on that Nintendo Syl :D