When uninstalling CFW, what counts as " modified critical system software"

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Adam_Elhalawany, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Adam_Elhalawany
    OP

Adam_Elhalawany Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2017
    United States
    I'm uninstalling CFW, and the page warns that you will brick your console if you have modified critical system software. What counts as modified critical system software?

2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    system apps.

3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo außer Tiernahrung

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Basically anything that must be loaded: Home, most kernel drivers, the system font, (de facto) the keyboard, ...

As examples of non-critical stuff (= won't break your system if it fails to load because it's unsigned): Game Notes, 3DS Camera, Face Raiders, ...

4. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    @Adam_Elhalawany, you should keep CFW if it can be helped. Uninstalling CFW carries a high risk of softbricking your system. If you have a preflashed NTRboot flashcart on the ready, this will help in unbricking if uninstalling CFW goes awry. Here's the tale of my n3DSXL CFW removal attempts & brickings in this thread.

If you're selling the system, I would just Format System Memory, update to boot9strap v1.3, and place Luma3DS v9.1 on CTRNAND with no options selected in Luma3DS configuration.

If this is a gift for someone, like a younger child, who is better off having an OFW-like setup, follow the additional step of substituting the boot.firm on the SD card with Rei-Six like in this post.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Dec 6, 2018
    zacchi4k, E1ite007 and H1B1Esquire like this.