When replacing resistors how close do values have to be? (Noob)

Laggy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Missingcomponents.PNG

Replacing the LCD connector for a Nintendo switch (HAD-CPU-01) and I managed to knock off 3 resistors (photo above). I asked on another forum and I was told I needed
1. 2.1k
2. 2.8k
3. 10k

He measured in circuit

When I went to Ali express to order I was able to find 10k size 201

But they have no 2.8k or 2.1k values

So could I get a 2.2k for #1 and 2.7k for #2 or something like that....

Thanks, this is my first time replacing and purchasing knocked components. ALSO, I have a switch lite donor board only, so is it possible I could get all 3 resistors off there?

Last edited by Laggy,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
it's quicker to search than create a new thread, there is a thread dedicated to components values of the Switch, go try it and search for it, it's easy to find.

Reactions: Laggy

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If being strict precious device mode then we are in "it depends" territory. It could be nearest value in a series was picked as it was acceptable range, and it could be carefully chosen values or indeed precision/precision tuned stuff (though unlikely here). It could also go the other way and you find Nintendo went too low in a bid to do... something and you want to go another way (granted normally this sort of thing is done to make LED house lights last longer by running cooler and less bright or not have your thermostat/burglar alarm/ethernet over power/similar deliver maximum power to a status LED and bathe your room in keeps you awake levels of light courtesy of super bright modern LEDs being the cheapest option and some spotty oik going with the suggested circuit).

In series measurements will get you most of the way but unless you lift a leg, or maybe play with high frequency (its own kettle of fish), then you are also measuring everything else in a parallel arrangement and thus might differ from the actual value. Educated guesses then about nearest in a series and hoping you have the right series or someone did not get particularly exotic and the cheapo mission parts sourcing guy allowed it to slip through. Voltage drop can be a useful thing though.

Can you find the knocked resistors or is this hot air sending it over the hills and far away?

As far as donor boards then you might well find suitable resistors somewhere in there, however if you can find free/cheap shipping (good luck) or a local electronics place then save that and get a few bits of cut tape*.

*in case you were unfamiliar or someone else reading is. Surface mount stuff is usually sold/made under the guise of being used with a pick and place machine to build circuit boards. These will take things mounted on tape and pull it through. To that end cpc/digikey/farnell/element14/... will tend to have three prices. 1 is a reel, 2 is a cut down reel (not necessarily a thing for resistors that cost fractions of a cent -- minimum 3000 or whatever on a $4 component does add up when you only need 1000) and 3 is cut tape wherein you get the reel have a strip of tape cut off wherein you possibly then have a hand in making 2 for someone.
Pick and place for the curious

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the help and info guys!
Forgot to mention above. If buying cut tape then buy more than you need, especially if it is fractions of a cent per/shipping is eh greater component. Reason -- the very same thing that sees you in this predicament can happen again if you sneeze when opening the pack. At which point hope you have a decent floor to scan over rather than a carpet. Have some spares on the other hand and all is good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr