When is Gurren Lagann supposed to get good?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've watched 7 episodes and so far I only think it's OK. I mean, I've heard so much about the show, but all I'm impatient to get past all of the cliche (I can't comment on the amout of cliche content), ecchi (I really wish there were less ecchi, I just find it annoying) and the deus ex machina (SOOO MUCH deus ex machina), the only things that are really driving me to watch it are Kyle Herbert as Kamina (the Japanese voice is better, but seeing the Kyle Herbert using his "Great Saiyaman attitude and persona just adds a different type of Kamina to the English version) and Krillin as Simon (I just find it amusing and odd), and JesuOtaku's review stating that it gets better. So my question is, when is the series supposed to get "good'?

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i say by the time kamina "liberates" a mech. oh since his is a gurren lagann thread this quote will fit well "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM". my favorite line it gets okay after kamina dies but then episode 17 on gets better. at least i think damn i gotta rewatch gurren lagann

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well crap. So I was watching Netflix and they switched episode 8 with episode 9, and where episode 9 is supposed to be is a copy of episode 9. *Spoilers* T watched episode 9 without noticing this, I thought it was one of those moments they would show later but for now they skipped into the future, in otherwords, they skipped Kamina's death and now it's spoiled. Crap.

DarkShinigami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Well crap. So I was watching Netflix and they switched episode 8 with episode 9, and where episode 9 is supposed to be is a copy of episode 9. *Spoilers* T watched episode 9 without noticing this, I thought it was one of those moments they would show later but for now they skipped into the future, in otherwords, they skipped Kamina's death and now it's spoiled. Crap.
well thats why i use anime stream sites to avoid that problem as most anime geeks such as myself would shoot someone who messes an anime up but swapping 2 episodes. you still have to see kaminas death you may know hes dieing but you gatta see how epicly he dies.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The series is also awesome because of the many messages it gives. Using yourself for support instead of relying on others all the time, grieving, trust, ignorance, pressure... halfway through there's a timeskip, and shit gets serious after that. The first few episodes after the timeskip aren't my favorite, they're kinda' depressing... but then the ending is wicked.

Gurren Lagann is a series that doesn't always take itself seriously (like Boondocks), so if you go into it expecting it to be one single amazing thing you're going to miss a lot of subtext.

DarkShinigami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
The series is also awesome because of the many messages it gives. Using yourself for support instead of relying on others all the time, grieving, trust, ignorance, pressure... halfway through there's a timeskip, and shit gets serious after that. The first few episodes after the timeskip aren't my favorite, they're kinda' depressing... but then the ending is wicked.

Gurren Lagann is a series that doesn't always take itself seriously (like Boondocks), so if you go into it expecting it to be one single amazing thing you're going to miss a lot of subtext.
i know it is one one my favorite animes to this date

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Episode 4 (IB4"OMGSNIFFINGANUS"COMMENT).

Seriously, though, I found it epic all the way until the point I am at (episode 15, I believe?).

Like any of GAINAX's work, you can't expect it to make a ot of sense unless you think into it a bit. It has a lot of messages, references, and crazy awesome clever things you miss if you're only watching it on the basic level (like FLCL. HONESTLY, did FLCL make a lot of sense the first time?
tongue.gif
).

Also, the ecchi I have no issues with just ignore it if it bothers you to see a 14 year old's sexy body too much.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
Episode 4 (IB4"OMGSNIFFINGANUS"COMMENT).

Seriously, though, I found it epic all the way until the point I am at (episode 15, I believe?).

Like any of GAINAX's work, you can't expect it to make a ot of sense unless you think into it a bit. It has a lot of messages, references, and crazy awesome clever things you miss if you're only watching it on the basic level (like FLCL. HONESTLY, did FLCL make a lot of sense the first time?
tongue.gif
).

Also, the ecchi I have no issues with just ignore it if it bothers you to see a 14 year old's sexy body too much.
Well it's not that I don't like ecchi, it's just the way they go about it just annoys me. Oh, and Yoko, the Orihime/Sakura/Kaoru/Rachel/First Season of One Piece Nami/Ai Mori/Bulma/Winry of the series. I don't like her. No, it's not because of her attire (although it screams "Hey! Look at this anime! There's a mostly naked girl in it" which I've seen way to many times in anime) but rather because of the fact that although she is brave and has an awesome gun, as far as where I am, it's only effective 1/10 of the time, just like the characters I listed. Oh, and she complains ALOT, just like the characters I listed. Oh, and she's the love interest of Kamina (and Simon), except unlike the characters I listed, they fall in love in 8 episodes, moreover, there is very little time between each episode, so it could be possible that all of these events happened in less than 8 days (though I can't confirm it). Moreover, they don't really develop they're relationship enough. I mean the only thing that could maybe be considered romantic are these things: Kamina calls Yoko hot in his village, Yoko gets jealous when the Black Siblings gawk over him, Kamina lifts up her robe which embarrasses her (don't really know why, because under her robes are her regular attire), he get's gawked over again, and they kiss...so yeah, I think you get my point (Needless to say, I don't feel sorry for her after Kamina dies, I only feel sorry for Kamina, Simon, and Gohan. Poor Gohan.). I just see her as the generic weapon toting under-dressed complaining female protagonist.

Anyway, if it gets good in any episode before 9, I don't think I'll ever like the show, but I'll Wailuigi and Shinigami's suggestions and hang in there until episodes 12-14 and 17.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I see your point Machomuu, but like I said, it's GAINAX. A lot of their work feels rushed in the plot. Despite little character development you usually get a good feel of who the characters are anyway and you need to see the hidden messages.

I think you're right about the "Hot girl look at me" thing, but I like her.
tongue.gif
I question her usefulness however, considering her shots are not really doing much it seems (oh! I hit it in the chest and made it wobble a little!) but later on she has her moments.

Ringo619

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive heard good things about it to , but never watched it , i might watch it after reading all these posts on how good it is , i might watch it after D.man gray which is kinda boring :/

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
I can see monkat lurking this thread as we speak
smileipb2.png

9e29fd5b0d23f4d81794eafb3fede.png

Ontopic: The ending is the most epic part, probably. But Gurren Lagann is good when it hits you that it has all these messages that people have posted above. Sadly, you mostly feel them AFTER you finish watching it, and reflect a bit.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gurren Lagann gets good when the opening credits start playing.

I need to pick it up again, I didn't get nearly far enough. But it's still utterly amazing.

EDIT: And don't look too deep into it. It's a show about being fucking awesome. It's sad at times and it has its more serious moments, but most of the show doesn't take itself seriously and that is why it's so great. It's just mechs beating the shit out of each other and a great deal of humor. Sure beats a lot of shit anime I see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkwLviMVR9E