When is Gurren Lagann supposed to get good?

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although I'm sure you've already had enough sufficient replies, I'll add my two cents.

This is the kind of show that if you like frantic, testosterone driven, flashy, giant robots fight with a bit of drama and some of the most over the top humor in anime, then you should like it by the end. Imo, if you weren't really into it from episode 1, then you probably won't like it as much as the general fanbase for this kind of show. Simply put, if you get into it, you'll REALLY get into it, otherwise you'll just think it's average or maybe even bad.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tonitonichopchop said:
Although I'm sure you've already had enough sufficient replies, I'll add my two cents.

This is the kind of show that if you like frantic, testosterone driven, flashy, giant robots fight with a bit of drama and some of the most over the top humor in anime, then you should like it by the end. Imo, if you weren't really into it from episode 1, then you probably won't like it as much as the general fanbase for this kind of show. Simply put, if you get into it, you'll REALLY get into it, otherwise you'll just think it's average or maybe even bad.
Well I will say this. Never once when watching did I think "I hate this show" or "I don't like this show", and I wondered why? I mean, part of the reason I didn't like it that much was because I went into it with expectations, something I make it a point NEVER to do. However, sometime after I finished the show it dawned on me. Tone down the cliche alot and the deus ex machina a little, replace the mechs with extremely powerful beings, and add a more serious tone, and the show you get is Dragon Ball Z, my all time favorite anime. The shows are similar, and I have 0 doubt that the TTGL creator drew influence from it, hence why a small part of me liked the show, and another small portion of me wanted to love it. I mean sure, everything I don't like about TTGL is something is doesn't share with DBZ (Hence the difference in how much I like the two), but the shows are still similar (even storywise, seriously,the post-Kamina death arcs and the Cell Tournament forward are very similar).

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I loved Gurren Lagann
smile.gif
But at first I didn't think I'd get into but I carried on with it and I loved it

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
If you don't like Gurren Lagann, you are unwanted.
Everywhere.

Edit: I have updated my profile to reflect this.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
If you don't like Gurren Lagann, you are unwanted.
Everywhere.

Edit: I have updated my profile to reflect this.
I do like it, but very, very little. I don't mind watching it, though it pisses me off a lot.

Kusari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand what are the people saying TTGL is an EPIC MUST WATCH OR DIE ANIMEOMGWTF!?
5 years old to 16 yo. who never experienced 1) love
2)depression
3)good story/good anime

The full cliche battles with a plot recycling and a fan service characters is a mediocre anime at best.
The voice acting, SFX, music, animation are all 10/10
Plot story, twists and character development with character motivation. 4/10
"They enemy! MY DRILL IS TEH STRONGERST! /yoko's ass/ KEEL KEEL! OH NO MY NOT BROTHER DIED! I BE SHINJI NOW AND SCAVENGE TRASH OF MY SWORN ENEMYY!
THEY NOT ENEMY THEY FRIEND /yoko's tits/ !
THEY R RLy ENMY! KEEL KEEL! MY DRILL IS THE STRONGESRT!!! /yoko's milf tits/"
"OK U WIN I GIVE UNEVERsE WE LOSTED, I HOEP U DEFEAT RELY ENEMY THAT IS EATING PLANETZ LIEK FROM 5th EMELENT!"

-_-

that is about ttgl. as epic as you get.
kids can gtfo

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
monkat said:
Both Ace Faith and Rydian have linked me here today to tell you one thing, "Go fuck yourself."

The show starts off slow, but despite the intense mech-induced action, it is primarily a coming-of-age story. I don't really want to spoil anything, but growing up and taking on responsibility are major themes in the show--also giant fighting robots. It's a question of what is right and what is wrong--when there's no clear answer, it's a battle of will to decide who is right.

And that's just it - the show isn't like Deus Ex or many of your mech animes; it's not a realistic war-time gun-battle. It's will-power coming into the world as existential matter and energy.

To answer your question, Gurren Lagann isn't supposed to do anything. It is good since it came on the air. The first episode drags a bit, but it's only because you don't know the characters.

Anyway, sorry this is so short - it's been a long day of studying for classes and working for...y'know...work. Not really in the mood to explain the obvious.

And with that, monkat returns to his not-being-at-GBAtemp-ness.

Eh?

How did that happen?

unsure.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Kusari said:
I understand what are the people saying TTGL is an EPIC MUST WATCH OR DIE ANIMEOMGWTF!?
2)depression
3)good story/good anime

The full cliche battles with a plot recycling and a fan service characters is a mediocre anime at best.
"They enemy! MY DRILL IS TEH STRONGERST! /yoko's ass/ KEEL KEEL! OH NO MY NOT BROTHER DIED! I BE SHINJI NOW AND SCAVENGE TRASH OF MY SWORN ENEMYY!
"OK U WIN I GIVE UNEVERsE WE LOSTED, I HOEP U DEFEAT RELY ENEMY THAT IS EATING PLANETZ LIEK FROM 5th EMELENT!"

-_-

kids can gtfo
"What's that, somebody likes what I don't like? They must be stupid."

It's all about representation. Try reading the thread before posting.

Zaku350

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Huh, I loved TTGL. Easily my favorite anime (Right up there with Gundam in my book). I guess this doesn't mean much though.

I could not stand the English version though, Japanese with subtitles made all the difference.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Kusari said:
2)depression
3)good story/good anime

-_-

kids can gtfo
Jesus dude necrobump?

And besides, I recommend watching TTGL, in face I got my girlfriend to watch it. And I'm 16. So I guess I just cancelled out all your first few arguments.

Now begone you. Let this thread die into what it needs to.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zaku350 said:
Huh, I loved TTGL. Easily my favorite anime (Right up there with Gundam in my book). I guess this doesn't mean much though.

I could not stand the English version though, Japanese with subtitles made all the difference.
I watched the English version and liked the voice acting, while Kyle Herbert was different than Kamina's voice actors, the majority of the other VAs were great, I especially thought Simon did a great job VA-wise, despite how annoying he was (barring the Simon after the one year skip, I liked that one).

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
machomuu said:
Zaku350 said:

I watched the English version and liked the voice acting, while Kyle Herbert was different than Kamina's voice actors, the majority of the other VAs were great, I especially thought Simon did a great job VA-wise, despite how annoying he was (barring the Simon after the one year skip, I liked that one).
The dub is pretty good, but I personally recommend the sub.

I'm not a sub asshole, I recommend many many dubs (Geass, Bebop, Baccano, etc.) but the TTGL dub wasn't the best.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8BitWalugi said:
machomuu said:
Zaku350 said:

I'm not a sub asshole, I recommend many many dubs (Geass, Bebop, Baccano, etc.) but the TTGL dub wasn't the best.
No, it wasn't, but I was watching on Netflix so I was stuck with it.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
machomuu said:
8BitWalugi said:
machomuu said:
Zaku350 said:

No, it wasn't, but I was watching on Netflix so I was stuck with it.
Ah. Fair enough. Well, if you get the chance, I recommend the dub.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
I'm sorry you didn't like it that much.
sad.gif

But you can NOT lie; the music was epic (especially Sora-Iro Days and Happily Ever After).
wub.gif
I'm not gonna lie, Sora-Iro Days became my obsession, I freakin' love that song.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Schlupi said:
sad.gif

But you can NOT lie; the music was epic (especially Sora-Iro Days and Happily Ever After).
wub.gif
I'm not gonna lie, Sora-Iro Days became my obsession, I freakin' love that song.

I told you.
tpi.gif
I have been playing those two songs in Osu! for the past two weeks trying to beat them (on Hard and Insane respectively).

I will beat your score one day, number 4.
biggrin.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
machomuu said:
Schlupi said:
sad.gif

wub.gif

I told you.
tpi.gif
I have been playing those two songs in Osu! for the past two weeks trying to beat them (on Hard and Insane respectively).

biggrin.gif
I used to be number 3, and soon I will beat my own high-score
tpi.gif

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Schlupi said:
machomuu said:
Schlupi said:
sad.gif

wub.gif

I told you.
tpi.gif

biggrin.gif
I used to be number 3, and soon I will beat my own high-score
tpi.gif

The day you see me at no. 1 is the day I will dance on the grave of your skills.
tpi.gif

I WILL DEFEAT YOU. >=D

ONTOPIC: Nia is so adorable. I honestly like her more than Yoko.
wub.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1