Hacking What's Your Softmodding Experience?

What's Your Softmodding Experience?

• Everything according to plan, great compatibility!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good compatibility, but a few minor problems.

• Nothing went smooth, but I ended up alright.

• All in all, I'm just another brick in the wall.

• I'm still stuck installing ciosCorps!!!!

• Total voters

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My softmodding experience is entirely with older systems, but I still took my time researching, and I've had a great experience. I modded my first Wii after stupidly progressing with the October 2008 update. This was long before convenient advances such as Bannerbomb existed, and tutorials were new and "iffy."

Everything on my Wii(s) has followed Waninkoko's lead, with the Trucha bug leading the way, and avoiding cIOSCorps along the way. I've never had any incompatibility, problem, or brick from softmodding, and everything worked as reported by others. Overall it's been a smooth experience, mostly because of the time I invest reading, and researching other's problems.

So how has your experience been? Mine has been so fun, I spend more time on gbatemp, then I do playing my Wii. This is my hobby, I love to test things, and once I get them to work, I move on to the next new development. My Wii was once a disappointing system, and now it's a virtual jukebox, loaded with enough games to last a lifetime. It's the little system that could, and I'm finally getting my money's worth.

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
I got everything working after a while, but I may have made WiiPower angry at me.

That's like angering God
blink.gif

EtherealX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm twisted. I've had more enjoyment reading everyone's "I uninstalled IOS60" threads. On the flip-side, being a professional coder and avid gamer, I nearly sold my Wii a few times with pure disappointment of the console. Now, I would probably never sell it. I've absolutely loved the Wii HB scene. I've been in the HB scene for quite some time and was completely ecstatic to see the advances on a Wii -- completely changed the game.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EtherealX said:
I'm twisted. I've had more enjoyment reading everyone's "I uninstalled IOS60" threads. On the flip-side, being a professional coder and avid gamer, I nearly sold my Wii a few times with pure disappointment of the console. Now, I would probably never sell it. I've absolutely loved the Wii HB scene. I've been in the HB scene for quite some time and was completely ecstatic to see the advances on a Wii -- completely changed the game.
I agree. It still amazes me how well the Wii is equipped for homebrew (plus it's free). The software itself was pretty disappointing, aside from a couple good games. I pretty much lean towards my 360 for a true gaming experience, but I have completely set that aside for Wii development. Instead of catching up on my growing stack of unplayed games, I spend most of my time here on gbatemp reading and testing the latest releases for the Wii scene. I find more fun in trying these latest advances in homebrew, than playing the latest top-rated games on my other consoles. A hobby indeed.

KidFlash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I find myself playing my wii less and less as time goes on. I came here because I was fascinated by all the wii can do once you mod it. Hopefully, I'll actually learn all this (seems complicated even after reading everything several times) and be able to start enjoying my wii again.

kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
I've personally softmodded over 150-200+ Wii Consoles, ranging from launch day to yesterday i done one that had just come straight from the shop with its seal still in tact.

along the way ive been through the trials and tribulations of dodgy beta's, bad releases, and some really exciting moments...for example making my own channels, my own health screens and themes the manual way, and then later with MyMenu and Wadder.
and now ofcourse the prospects that BootMii and namely MINI bring us.

all in all, been a good ride

biggrin.gif

riddle43

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its been an all around good time and im very happy with what i got but i do have to say ive done x boxs and psps even ps2s and for some reason the guides for softmoding wiis are not that noob friendly thank the game gods for sites like gbatemp or we would be bulding houses with the bricks that would be out there lol
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif

pm_41

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
My Wii hacking experience has been good so far. I've only had a few problems/issues, the biggest being boot2v3 (no Bootmii for me) and the uninstallation of ciosCORP.

Other than those two things, it's been crackalackin!
smile.gif

grentuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Only done about 8 or 9 but no problems.

What got me into soft mods? Wasn't interested at first as mine has a wiikey installed and it runs everything.

But I had a wishlist which included running games from hard drive. Seeing that Nintendo had said this wasn't possible and then seeing on here that it had been done converted me to Home brew.

I just wonder if the developers/coders of home brew shouldn't charge a licence fee to Nintendo if they do release a hard drive for the wii. I would certainly check out the possibilities of patenting it. Although I do see some problems with that when it comes to "intellectual property" LMAO
blink.gif

IAmTheRad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Back when it first came out I had problems with softmodding. I thought I'd screw up my Wii. The only thing I kept on my wii has been the HBC since they discovered how to put it on the wii, and that was a relatively low-risk endeavor from changing my wii at all.

Now, I have a different outlook on it. I use preloader, since that has saved my wii a couple of times, and after I found out how to properly have the 'hacks' that Preloader supports actually supported, it's great! 4.1U with CIOScorp 3.2, since I do not have an extra external USB drive (my only 500GB one is actually used by my PC, but not for applications) and I prefer the feeling of having the disk run from the disk channel since that is fairly idiot proof.

I went from fearing bricking my wii, to where I am now. Patching an ISO to run under the old old backup loader, to WiiGator, to gamma loader, to CIOScorp. All so I could keep my "legally obtained backups"
rolleyes.gif
working without damaging the original disks.

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Expirienced no major problems so far ...
I have 2 Wii's: one with bootmii in /boot2 installed, where I can test anything and another (newer) where the /boot1 isn't buggy.
I always do a NAND backup before I try anything out, that can brick my wii.
And I suggest this to everyone else where it's possible!

Rambytes

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i've put a modchip before the softmod came out... few years ago... and i don't regret my move. I've put a D2Pro and the guy made a great job with great quality.

So for me, no softmod...

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hardmod of course, is still better than a Softmod:

Hardmod:
Pro's:
- Can't be blocked by Nintendo.
- Can play off ANY game.
- Easy installation (Clip or use Drive chip)
- Homebrew free. (Doesn't matter if Nintendo block Homebrew from your Wii)

Con's:
- If a not open source modchip team stops with updating, it ain't possible to make your own updates on your mod chip.
(With open source I mean modchips as: Cyclo Wiz )
- You've got to pay for it.

Softmod:
Pro's:
- Everyone can update it whenever they want. (Like put in their own IOS DIP Module.)
- It's free

Con's:
- Can be blocked by Nintendo EASILY.
- Can't play all games, and in fact very less Gamecube games.
- And seems to disable compatibly with DVDX.
- Risky install.
- Lot's of bugs, and problems with burn speed.

idklol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EVERYTHING WENT PERFECTLY

Shit was SO cash.

Due to being super nervous (even though I had BootMii), it took me two hours. But everything went smoothly.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Softmodding has been a great source of entertainment for me. It's definitely kept me more interested in the Wii than I would have been otherwise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.