What’s your I.Q.?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Mr. Looigi, Jan 20, 2019.

1. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    Ha, I knew someone was going to say that. I was gunna make them same joke too, but it was too easy.
    Nah, it’s because it’s relative. It’s not a measurement like a ruler. IQ scores only mean anything relative to others. So the number 130 is useless on its own. And online tests are useless.

Last edited by SG854, Jan 20, 2019
  2. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    My IQ is infinity times infinity to the infinite power of infinitely squared, expressed infinitely, plus infinity and one (infinitely).

3. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    Slightly below 120 last time I took a short test that probably wasn't properly standardized.

I often have the urge to finish other peoples sentences though.. ;) (And when I don't, I consider the other person intelligent.. ;) Maybe. ;) )

Last edited by notimp, Jan 20, 2019
  4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I only did one test...erm...about 20 years ago, I think. It was just slightly above average. Say, 104. No idea of the EQ or something.

Nobody got a link for a more standardized test? Seems like just the thing on the internet. :)

5. DKB

DKB I'll be watching you sleep tonight.

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    Uh. Retarted.

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  6. SG854

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    You would have to get a researcher to administer a test. They slightly vary the tests so that people won’t cheat and get the answer key.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Here is a book I would recommend you to read by an intelligence researcher. It explains why IQ tests are the opposite of bullshit.

https://ia800105.us.archive.org/17/...lligence/The-Neuroscience-of-Intelligence.pdf

7. Super.Nova

Super.Nova GBAtemp Fan

Dec 20, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Under Government Suppression
    I'm at least thankful most of you (if not all) agree that IQ tests are BS.
    I fear the day intelligent people start believing that crap!

8. DKB

DKB I'll be watching you sleep tonight.

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    Another reason why I feel IQ tests are fucking stupid is because they have tried to measure the IQ's of people who are dead. Like, what?

9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ definitely not Lilith

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    IDK, last I checked it was automatically 1 point higher than everyone else.

10. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    .0006 . . . unless nappa has the scouter upside down again :rolleyes:

E1ite007, Veho and sarkwalvein like this.
  11. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    If you saw this
    [​IMG]
    then you know
    [​IMG]

sks316 and dAVID_ like this.
  12. splymb

splymb Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2018
    Cyprus
    Last time I took an IQ test was in the army (it's obligatory where I live).

The exercises can be a matter of training if you take the test with no idea what to expect you'll score way lower than training yourself to understand what kind of patterns/answers the test is looking for.

Whatever the case it focuses on very specific traits; the test is too narrow (and simplistic) to reflect human intelligence. AI can smash these tests... does that make it uber-intelligent?

My point is we are yet to define intelligence; how can we be so naive and measure something if we don't know what's been measured to begin with.

notimp likes this.
  13. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I was going to use a dictionary, but....
    [​IMG]

14. SG854

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    Isn’t it illegal for the Army to accept people with the an IQ of less then 83?

There is a book I linked here and it explains why robots that smash the tests isn’t a good measurement of IQ. The robots will fall under the category of savants, and savants that have extrodanary human abilities isn’t what IQ tests are about.

15. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Only test I've ever done was for genius society like a decade ago, got 167, but the "proper" IQ test is so flawed it really doesn't matter. The "proper" IQ test is only shapes and recognizing patterns, basically testing your capacity of recognition and process, reason it's called "quotient" rather than just "intelligence". It simply measures one part that makes up intelligence as a whole, not whether you actually are any smart. For example, I'm ridiculously better at anything visual-related than text or sound related things to the point it's laughable, so if the test measured other things regarding intelligence as an overall I'd get somewhere around 120. But as far as EQ goes, didn't even know that was a thing, so can't comment on it:rofl2:

Hanafuda likes this.
  16. SG854

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    What IQ tests are trying to estimate is the G Factor. I’ll upload a picture from the book where it falls in line. And the G Factor is what’s common to all mental abilities. It is a general mental capability.

Here is the commonly used definition in research what intelligence is.

“Intelligence is a very general mental capability that, among other things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly and learn from experience. It is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings—“catching on,” “making sense” of things, or “figuring out” what to do.’ Gottfredson (1997)”

Attached Files:

17. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    how to test IQ? just curious...

18. Frankbel

Frankbel GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2004
    Italy
    Messina
    I got 143. Twenty years ago I tried a test twice in a week, I got 143 as maximum (I don't recall the other one but was close). The test description claimed that above 140 the result was not accurate.
    I was a mathematics student at that time, and I felt that the test was kind of biased for people studying mathematics.
    Also, today I feel less smart than when I was younger, for example I am much slower in doing computations, and I can't memorize stuff at the same level as before.

19. xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx GBAtemp Addict

Jul 29, 2015
    Liverpool
    8 Years ago, I got 134.

20. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    IQ is a really bad test of intelligence.