Hacking What would you do?

Should I keep the 5.50 Pro and wait or go for the 5.05 Slim?

• Total voters

arnes_king

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hey everyone,

I wanted to see with you people what would be the best for me to do. I need to firdt explain my situation.

I had a used gold slim with fw 5.05 but I got a very good offer for it to sell so I sold it.

I got enough money from it that I could buy a new Pro console and still have some money left.

I did not sold it because I wanted to earn money but because I always wanted a PS4 Pro even while not havin yet a 4K TV. But I plan to buy one soon, and I think that the pro is a better investment in the future.

So I searched and found a Glacier White pro, checked the model and PN and whereever I checked on the i web people got fw 4.73 on it.

I bought it and to my sad surprise it was on 5.50. I have no option to return it.

Now I have another offer, to give that pro in exange for a new slim with hackable firmware, I would even get again some money for the trade in, not much but some.

Now for the acutal question.

Would you rather keep the Pro 5.50 and be patient and hope/wait for a new exploit release, or would you take the hackable slim instead?

I know that a new exploit won't happen soon, but I am afraid if it will ever happen. If I just knew that some day it will get released then I would keep the pro and wait.

Sorry for the long post but I really can not decide and do not want to make something that I will regret.

I have to mention that I do not have the possibility to get both consoles.

Peluki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ...

A little remiss on your part purchasing something on the understanding that the firmware was at a particular level, and not being able to return it if isn't! In the main, this is a difficult undertaking to ensure that a firmware is at a particular level, but, if you make a purchase on a particular understanding, it is always wise to get a written undertaking that a return is possible if it fails to meet whatever specification was offered ... Normally it is a legal requirement on the sellers part to do so!

Waiting for a 5.50+ Exploit in the public domain is a little like 'how long is a piece of string' and whether or not a developer is prepared to put one forward! Taking the firmware back is not only possible, but viable, but certainly not by a simple quick load-up software solution, and certainly not from the fake sites you see here and there, purporting to offer these, most of which are just 'catch-penny' shots to encourage you to take part in some sort of a click kick-back advertising survey or similar!

Your Question! ... There is NO definitive answer! ... if you are happy to wait - Wait! ... if not, you may be able to find an expert to take it back to an earlier level for you ... otherwise your only other option is to get another PS4 on an earlier firmware! - which to your cost you didn't manage to do last time!

Good Luck ...

Reactions: arnes_king

arnes_king

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hi ...

A little remiss on your part purchasing something on the understanding that the firmware was at a particular level, and not being able to return it if isn't! In the main, this is a difficult undertaking to ensure that a firmware is at a particular level, but, if you make a purchase on a particular understanding, it is always wise to get a written undertaking that a return is possible if it fails to meet whatever specification was offered ... Normally it is a legal requirement on the sellers part to do so!

Waiting for a 5.50+ Exploit in the public domain is a little like 'how long is a piece of string' and whether or not a developer is prepared to put one forward! Taking the firmware back is not only possible, but viable, but certainly not by a simple quick load-up software solution, and certainly not from the fake sites you see here and there, purporting to offer these, most of which are just 'catch-penny' shots to encourage you to take part in some sort of a click kick-back advertising survey or similar!

Your Question! ... There is NO definitive answer! ... if you are happy to wait - Wait! ... if not, you may be able to find an expert to take it back to an earlier level for you ... otherwise your only other option is to get another PS4 on an earlier firmware! - which to your cost you didn't manage to do last time!

Good Luck ...
In my country it is not possible to return bought things. I have the option to get a slim which is 100% hackable, but I think that I will leave the Pro for myself and maybe play some newer games.

For now I will wait, and play something older, but if nothing happens in the next few months, then I will update.

kingbradley6000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it was up to me, I'd take the slim, the release date of the next exploit is anyone's guess, I'd rather play what's out now than wait for something with a minute amount of framerate difference (I dont really care much for 4k). but if you have a 4k tv, you might as well wait

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
5.5x wouldn't get any public release anytime soon, developers said up to a year probably.

AFAIK they look at what Sony fixes in each release and then figure out if they can exploit the old code. Rather than finding a whole load of exploits and then testing each release to see if Sony have fixed it.

Last edited by smf,

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

rick191

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a big difference in graphics/performance between slim and pro so I would have the 5.05 slim personally.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not a big difference in graphics/performance between slim and pro so I would have the 5.05 slim personally.

There is a huge difference between the performance

2.1ghz vs 1.6ghz CPU
4.2 teraflops vs 1.84 teraflops GPU

Whether any games take full advantage of it and whether you think it's worth the extra cost, is another matter.

Some people think it's worth it, some people don't.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/11/03/the-7-best-ps4-pro-enhanced-games

FWIW I did.

Last edited by smf,

rick191

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a huge difference between the performance

2.1ghz vs 1.6ghz CPU
4.2 teraflops vs 1.84 teraflops GPU

Whether any games take full advantage of it and whether you think it's worth the extra cost, is another matter.

Some people think it's worth it, some people don't.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/11/03/the-7-best-ps4-pro-enhanced-games

FWIW I did.
It may sound like a big difference on paper but look at all the comparison videos people have created and you will see very little difference so it's not really worth IMO.

arnes_king

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
You are right people, on paper it is awesome but all the comparison videos are disappointing for the pro.

But anyway, I decided to have the Pro because I do not have any more older games which I just need to play, and now is the time where the best games are coming so I will go the legit way for now.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It may sound like a big difference on paper but look at all the comparison videos people have created and you will see very little difference so it's not really worth IMO.
That’s because you are watching highly compressed videos on a 1080p screen. YouTube quality leaves everything looking like a ps3 game. A few years ago people used to say the same about pc games running at 1080p and high settings vs console games at 720p at equivalent to low settings for the same reasons. You just can’t see the difference on YouTube, stop trying. Beyond that I find some games like monster hunter world to be pretty much unplayable on base hardware thanks to dips under 30 FPS , but they run ok on the pro. Then there is a ton of games that give the user options like 1080 60 FPS or 2160p 30fps such as shadow of the colossus. The pro is certainly worth it, but many people are fine with the slim.

Last edited by kevin corms,

arnes_king

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
That’s because you are watching highly compressed videos on a 1080p screen. YouTube quality leaves everything looking like a ps3 game. A few years ago people used to say the same about pc games running at 1080p and high settings vs console games at 720p at equivalent to low settings for the same reasons. You just can’t see the difference on YouTube, stop trying. Beyond that I find some games like monster hunter world to be pretty much unplayable on base hardware thanks to dips under 30 FPS , but they run ok on the pro. Then there is a ton of games that give the user options like 1080 60 FPS or 2160p 30fps such as shadow of the colossus. The pro is certainly worth it, but many people are fine with the slim.

Hmm, maybe but NO! I had the chance to see the difference in real life my old PS4 on a not good FHD TV and the same game on a PS4 Pro on a super UHD HDR TV, and I did not see any great difference.

Now I have the pro but still believe that it is not worth it. No major upgrade, maybe future games will be more different. Also about the FPS, there are people to which it matters, but to me it never was important.

As long as it is over 25 FPS it is playable and to get stable 30 is not worth the price difference. Also to me it never was important if it is 30 or 60, but this is subjective.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also to me it never was important if it is 30 or 60, but this is subjective.

It's relatively subjective, because everyones eyesight is different.

I am looking forward to 5.50 kernel hack, so ps4 pro owners can get super sampling (I still only have a 1080p screen).

I got a ps4 pro, because I didn't want to be in the position of having paid for a hackable slim and then something coming out where I wish I had a pro but by then hackable pro's might be rare and expensive.

Last edited by smf,

arnes_king

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
It's relatively subjective, because everyones eyesight is different.

I am looking forward to 5.50 kernel hack, so ps4 pro owners can get super sampling (I still only have a 1080p screen).

I got a ps4 pro, because I didn't want to be in the position of having paid for a hackable slim and then something coming out where I wish I had a pro but by then hackable pro's might be rare and expensive.
I am in a similar situation :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.