Hacking What would it take to port "Null DC" to the Wii???

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, I'm looking for logical, collective ideas and thoughts here. What would it really take to port 'Null DC" to Wii? I always thought the GameCube controller would be a great controller to play Dreamcast games so I'm interested in trying to get something together. All the other systems I care to play are already emulated on Wii. The only system I'm missing is good ol Dreamcast.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, there's already Dreamcast on PSP. I think Dreamcast on Wii would be pretty feasible
smile.gif

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DC on PSP is a proof of concept. It runs at about 1-2 fps. IT WILL NEVER RUN FULL SPEED ON PSP.

As for the Wii: you may be able to port it over but I highly doubt it would ever run at a decent frame rate.

N64 is about the top level system the wii should be able to emulate, and at the moment even thats a struggle. (but coming along damn well with the new dynarec etc).

I just dont see the point of persueing the impossible.

Sorry to piss on your parade.

Dookieman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii, is a great system, but it simply is not powerful enough to emulate the DC. Sure anyone can port NullDC over, but will you really play games at 5 FPS? No, it pointless. And the people that have the ability to port the emulator aren't going to waste their time on something that will lead nowhere.

Dookieman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE(jono@home @ Apr 27 2009, 08:25 PM) whats this psx emulator like Ive seen floating about on the homebrew browser ?

I imagine it has issues ?

It does have issues, mainly because it was a quick port the Wii64 team. They have stated that internally, they have a better version running, but want to focus on Wii64 before they jump into PSX emulation. End of the year will probably see another update to WiiSX.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dookieman said:
The Wii, is a great system, but it simply is not powerful enough to emulate the DC. Sure anyone can port NullDC over, but will you really play games at 5 FPS? No, it pointless. And the people that have the ability to port the emulator aren't going to waste their time on something that will lead nowhere.

exactomundo

Taken from DCEMU.com, posted in july by wraggster:

"Ok im not smoking anything but our very own drkIIRaziel who occasionally hangs in our Chatroom has been working on a Dreamcast emulator for PSP.

Now unless im very well mistaken theres not a chance in hell that full speed or even playable is possible but we all live in hope"

LexLuthor

Trophies
XP
Country
Two questions (somewhat unrelated):

Does the PSP emulate the N64 at a decent frame rate?
Do you imagine the Wii will even emulate the PS1 at a decent frame rate?

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@lex:

1: some games run decently, but no sound and not stable.
(http://www.psp-hacks.com/2009/04/20/daedalusx64-beta-2-update-nintendo-64-emulator-released/)
2: yes i think it will.
(once its worked on more)

BlackEnigma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish there was more real information here. It seems like there's a lot of telling what one thinks.

I have a question if anyone knows the answer.
Is what the Wii does with N64 virtual console games emulation?

Dookieman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, if you want to get more information, port NullDC over and let us know how well it works. If it could be done, people would already be working on it.

You can think all you want about how awesome it would be to play DC games on the Wii. Fact of the matter is, it is never going to happen. If you want to get something together, lead the way and start the port yourself.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@black:

Yes. Each VC game is contained within its own specifically engineered emulator.

Which is why when we inject games into aforementioned precompiled wads, we dont get 100% compatibility.

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saturn emulation on Wii isn't even running well and you expect Dreamcast emulation to be any better? Maybe a tech demo at the most, but I doubt anyone will put serious effort into something that's impractical.

Take this as an example that just because it's generations ahead, it's not magically able to emulate other consoles.

Dreamcast has problems emulating SNES games at full 100%, trust me, I have SNES discs to play DC and none of them run at full speed unless I turn off sound.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was never expecting full speed emulation but right now I'm tired of the nay sayers who would probably never lift a finger to even try. All I'm saying is, a proof of concept is better than nothing, hell I' s settle for just being able to run the Dreamcast system menu (not really), at least, someone tried...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol