What would be a good programming language to learn if you're a beginner to programming?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 10,508
  • Replies 106
D

Deleted User

OP
I've been wanting to get into programming for quite a while now, but I don't know what programming language would be good for someone who is a complete beginner to programming, I want to try to start with one that's at least slightly easy.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I've been wanting to get into programming for quite a while now, but I don't know what programming language would be good for someone who is a complete beginner to programming, I want to try to start with one that's at least slightly easy.
Python or C/C++.

If anybody recommends Java to you, club them over the head with a blunt heavy object.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
usually java is the language pointed for begginers. but fuck that.
java sucks.
imho java is just a sandbox... you can build stuff on it, but you will live on a closed box...

better learn actual C/C++
IMO is the best language...

Reactions: Deleted User

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How did you find the documentation to compile stuff in the correct version, to avoid compilation failed?

If you want to learn programming in C I recommend you install some version of Linux, even in a virtual machine.
You get in touch with the real tools at the low level, and everything is very easy to obtain just using yout package managing software. (yum or apt-get, very easy to use even from the terminal)
If you install any Linux, let's say Debian, then be sure to install development packages (gcc, etc.)
There are linux man pages for every standard function in C, so that also helps.
I would also suggest using a linux distro to learn Python.
Actually, I would suggest a linux box for any kind of programming learning.
There are C tutorials all around the web anyway.
If you happen to install some linux and have problems compiling C in there, just ask here.

EDIT: No matter your OS, you can easily and legally install a virtual machine with linux that would run from your desktop as if it were just another program. No pirating required at all, everything is free (but I know this may be a letdown for the average temp user).
Just get VirtualBox and a Linux Distro CD image, and begin with the fun!

Reactions: VinsCool

froatsnook

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend learning Javascript, HTML, and CSS. The browser is an absolutely amazing environment for learning to program.

Or python if you really want to avoid the browser. IMO, anyone recommending that you start out learning C++ or C is probably a sadist ;). And I say this as someone who regularly programs in C++ for his day job!

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would recommend learning Javascript, HTML, and CSS. The browser is an absolutely amazing environment for learning to program.

Or python if you really want to avoid the browser. IMO, anyone recommending that you start out learning C++ or C is probably a sadist ;). And I say this as someone who regularly programs in C++ for his day job!

I agree... that's the reason I said:
Python. Interpreted makes the learners life joyful.

and
I am a C/C++ programmer mainly.
But this describes my opinion on C: http://techcrunch.com/2015/05/02/and-c-plus-plus-too/

But... it seems the masochism is strong in this thread.

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I started with C/C++ and i don't see a problem on beginning with him,
But C# and object oriented programming is still a hell for me, sometimes i can't understand a sh*t there. :mellow:

Reactions: 1 person

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I started with C/C++ and i don't see a problem on beginning with him,
But C# and object oriented programming is still a hell for me, sometimes i can't understand a sh*t there. :mellow:

One of the reasons not to start with C, it makes you so fixed to a very low level kind of programming that later you can't take up to the sky and look things from a more generic high level, later it makes design patterns difficult to get in contact with.

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
One of the reasons not to start with C, it makes you so fixed to a very low level kind of programming that later you can't take up to the sky and look things from a more generic high level, later it makes design patterns difficult to get in contact with.
Well, if that is true seems like i'm experiencing exactly that problem right now,
in that case i recommend starting with something else than C/C++.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
I think you should start with Java, that is what I started with and it will allow you to easily go into other c like languages. Some large corporations are also starting to migrate to Java from C/C++, I know for a fact that Walmart is doing this.

Python or C/C++.

If anybody recommends Java to you, club them over the head with a blunt heavy object.
Why? Java is being adopted bye the large corporations?

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Why? Java is being adopted bye the large corporations?

where have you been? it's been cute to hate Java since minecraft.

when people ask this question I always try to think what the asker wants to do with programming.
since you said you want easy, start with BASIC, a dead but influential language. it's super easy to do something fun in and not get discouraged.

or unity, because it's got the early payoff and a lot of tools and support around it.

you're just looking for a starting point, think bigger next time.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't see what's wrong with JAVA. This shares a lot of similarities with C/C++, so it may be easy to jump from one to another if the guy wishes to.

Actually I would recommend Java over C/C++ for learning.
It doesn't encourage you to program like a hack.
You should learn pointer math and its implications, null terminated strings, mallocs, frees and all that shit when you're dead and in hell... Or when necessary, but not at the beginning.

PS: When you start to learn programming you want to develop good practices, structures and notions that would later allow you to create and maintain big programs, yours or from others, how to code properly in a way that is easily read and understood, how to document properly. I would say that something important that you shall learn is e.g. design patterns, and design patterns and C are not friends.

D

Deleted User

OP
where have you been? it's been cute to hate Java since minecraft.

when people ask this question I always try to think what the asker wants to do with programming.
since you said you want easy, start with BASIC, a dead but influential language. it's super easy to do something fun in and not get discouraged.

or unity, because it's got the early payoff and a lot of tools and support around it.

you're just looking for a starting point, think bigger next time.

I've actually been wanting to start a project in Unity for, well, a few months actually. Does Unity use it's own programming language?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr