Misc What will happen when you go online with an official game on the 3ds?

Disboard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hello, everyone. I'm new here and just made an account because i have something to ask.
Would i get ban when i go online on a hacked 3ds with the offcial game cartridge that i bought? My old 3ds (not hacked) is broken, i'm considering buying a new one that is hacked (to play games i can't afford).
I don't go online much, and i wonder using features required internet such as mystery gift, enter codes to get items will get me banned on the hacked 3ds or not.

Edit: somehow i screwed up the thread title, i meant "on a hacked 3ds"

Last edited by Disboard,

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello, everyone. I'm new here and just made an account because i have something to ask.
Would i get ban when i go online on a hacked 3ds with the offcial game cartridge that i bought? My old 3ds (not hacked) is broken, i'm considering buying a new one that is hacked (to play games i can't afford).
I don't go online much, and i wonder using features required internet such as mystery gift, enter codes to get items will get me banned on the hacked 3ds or not.

You can't get banned just for having CFW or access to homebrew. The bans happen when you do stuff like cheat heavily online, play pirated games without being careful, playing leaked games before the time of their release, etc.... Don't worry about it, it's more likely to have a meteor land on your head than get banned just for having CFW when you play legit games only!:P Just play freely, it's ok!

Reactions: PossiblyOne

Yumirou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Nope! This is from the Banwave thread which should sort of help. :P

HOW TO HELP AVOID BANS (we think)

If I was to guess from the information we have gathered since the ban wave, it seems likely that they are looking for TitleIDs that don't exist. Homebrew shows up in the activity log as the Download Play app, and fake CIA's show up as just ??????. That last one is what I'm guessing they are looking for.

If you are not banned yet or before you unban yourself, go into your friends list, choose settings, and turn off the option to "show friends what game you are playing." This will prevent you from playing games online with friends, so turn it back on when you wanna game with someone, but ALWAYS keep it off when running custom CIAs. Next, go into system settings -> internet settings -> spotpass, and turn off BOTH options. One is auto download software, the other sends system information to Nintendo. Also, make sure you don't have your favorite title set to something stupid like FBI or any other non-Nintendo CIA.

Its VERY likely that these options are what tipped off Nintendo, but we aren't 100% certain yet. The amount of banned people that had one of these options turned on was over 80% for each. If I was to assume that some of those people overlap, its very possible (but not confirmed) that 100% of banned people in the survey had at least one of those options turned on. I personally had all of them off and I have TONS of reasons for Nintendo to ban me.... yet I am not banned (yet).

Another bit of advice: Only run custom CIAs when offline, and after you close them, run a "legit" game like Smash Bros. or something before shutting down or going back online. This way your most recent title won't show up as a fake CIA

Reactions: SSG Vegeta

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope! This is from the Banwave thread which should sort of help. :P
The real answer is no one knows. The ban wave info is just speculation. Some people did all of those things and still got banned. Basically, nothing adds up and we dont know anything for sure. There has not been another ban wave since the cfw banwave, so its very difficult for anyone to figure out what triggered it.

Since the banwave some have been more cautious, some have gona right back to using freeshop. No one else has been banned since. I wish I could give you a better answer, but no one can. Youre just gonna have to weight your options and risk, and make a decision yourself.

Yumirou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The real answer is no one knows. The ban wave info is just speculation. Some people did all of those things and still got banned. Basically, nothing adds up and we dont know anything for sure. There has not been another ban wave since the cfw banwave, so its very difficult for anyone to figure out what triggered it.

Since the banwave some have been more cautious, some have gona right back to using freeshop. No one else has been banned since. I wish I could give you a better answer, but no one can. Youre just gonna have to weight your options and risk, and make a decision yourself.
You're not wrong.

If you have obvious/mass cheats enabled in multiplayer then I think that's an easy ban.

Reactions: MadMageKefka

Smug Wendy

Trophies
Website
www.wendys.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, online cheats / mods (excluding safe client only mods) are a bad idea. No doubt about that.
Lol yeah no shit I was playing some smash just ducking around for a bit with NRT and said irregular data went online and said some bull but figured it out later though was lost in game to notice my problem

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've used cheats on mario kart.... and I've gotten kicked off the server and lost 20 VR almost instantly. I even had a "no disconnection" code and my game just crashed big time...

and I went back on with no cheats worked just fine.

no ban for me

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1