What to Do When Nintendo Releases an Update.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by JaronMatthewHigg, May 10, 2013.

1. JaronMatthewHigg
    OP

JaronMatthewHigg Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2012
    United States
    Every once in a while, Nintendo releases an update to the 3DS/DSi. The good thing about it is the new features! You know what the best thing is? It blocks flashcarts! It is more than likely that Nintendo will block the flashcarts you use. So if you are very new to them, here are procedures you should take at the point in time when Nintendo releases an update. 1. The most important: DO NOT UPDATE. It is more than likely that Nintendo will stop your flashcart from operating. 2. DISABLE WIRELESS COMMUNICATION. To be on the safe side, this is the best choice to stop your 3DS from sending to or receiving any data or information from Nintendo. 3. Search around your flashcart company's website for a patch to your cart. Sometimes, your flashcart company may announce that it supports the latest version directly. When an update has released, start flashing it. DURING THE UPDATE, DO NOT REMOVE THE FLASHCART OR TURN OFF THE POWER, AS THIS CAN RUIN YOUR FLASHCART INTERNALLY. 4. Once the flashing is complete, it is now safe to update your system's software! NOTE: NINTENDO DECLINES ACCESS TO SERVICES LIKE NINTENDO ESHOP, DSI SHOP AND NINTENDO ZONE UNTIL YOU HAVE UPDATED THE SYSTEM SOFTWARE.

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
  3. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
  4. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    This thread talks about flash carts blocking updates and how to avoid it and bypass it. Same thing the existing guide does, which is why I pointed it out to him.

5. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    Seemed like a pretty useless link-only post when most of his information is pretty spot on, despite it having been mentioned elsewhere on this site.

6. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Don't make me look through your posts, because I'm willing to bet I'll eventually find an instance of you just tossing down a link to an existing thread in a duplicate thread, say in USN or something. :P

7. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    well considering when a 3DS update is released this page on my blog
    http://pongupdates.wordpress.com/flashcards-working-on-3ds/

suddenly becomes popular
    (the last 5.1.0-10 made by blog almost explode with many thousands of views and the number grows each update, makes me feel quite honored so many people use the page)

i keep it up to date the second i am aware of an update and begin testing cards and have trusted people testing too to let people know ASAP and also link to the update files if require

SignZ likes this.
  8. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    I agree that posting something like this, although appreciated, is kind of redundant as there are stickies out there that cover the argument in detail and are constantly updated.

9. dehry

dehry GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    b...b..bbut it hasn't been updated in 5 seconds so it might be old

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Get a DS or a DS Lite, people. They cost next to nothing on EBay and in the unlikely event of there ever being a crucial update you'll need to play a newly-bought game, you'll always have a DS Mode cushion to fall on in order to play your DS backups as well as update your flashcart.

Pluupy and Rydian like this.
  11. back25

back25 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2012
    Just don't say "yes" to the update until you are sure your flashcart works.
    Don't think too much into it.

12. Pong20302000

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    but that is such a hard decision for soooo many

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Again, some people don't have much of a choice. It's either update and lose flashcart capabilities or leaving the newly bought game in its case to collect dust until a patch (which may or may not come) is released - not an ideal situation.

14. Pong20302000

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    games take a while to have the latest updates
    as they have to be built on that SDK and then go into production

Luigi's mansion 2 was built on 4.5.0-10 SDK

but i dont know what Fire Emblem used for there SDK
    (if i had the roms i could tell you)

15. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    I agree that the way things have shaped up, if people want to play DS games they shouldn't get a 3DS unless they enjoy hassle.

16. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    Or just get a DSTWO and not have to be hassled.

17. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    As much as I push the DSTwo personally, we can't assume everything will last forever. Remember when the PS3's private keys were found, and people (including me!) were all "The PS3 is hacked forever!", then Sony pulled some logical crap and whoops, no it's not.

18. SignZ

SignZ Timelord

Jul 16, 2008
    Germany
    I guess I'm one of the few who just say "yes" to the Update, huh. Sure, I got a DSTwo, but I'm hardly using it on my 3DS. I've got enough games on it (it being my 3DS), but even if I want to play some older DS game, I kinda first check ebay if I can snag a cheap copy. If yes, I flip a coin whether to buy it or not, if not I'll just let my inner pirate out of his cage. It's strange, but with the 3DS I'm less pirating stuff.

EZ-Megaman and Pluupy like this.
  19. alirezay

alirezay GBAtemp Regular

Oct 14, 2012
    United States
    Its normal for now...if u could play 3ds roms you would pirate until the end of generation!

20. YamiHoshi.nl

YamiHoshi.nl I'm MKGirlism.

May 23, 2011
    Tokyo
    Only to bad they have Blocked their own Mario Kart DS Beta on 3DS 4.5.0 and onwards.

3DSGuy likes this.