ROM Hack What the hell is the point of Pokemon HG/SS Translations?

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 5,627
  • Replies 55
D

Deleted_171835

OP
What the hell is the point of Pokemon HG/SS Translations? I don't see the point of translating the dialog of a whole game which is going to come out in 2010. Do PokeManiacs need to play ASAP. There is too many f'ing translations on GBAtemp. Who agrees?!

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would rather the translators use their talents translating games that will never see an English language release, but hey - it's up to them what they do, right?

kirby145

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need my pokemon to be strong for when we battle at school... So thank you translators! Mine are going to be better than the rest

D

Deleted_171835

OP
asdf said:
Yea, a menu and item translation is fine. But the whole story? C'mon people, the game is out in April!

Exactly what I was thinking. Who needs a whole story translation when it is coming out in April!

Posts merged

QUOTE(Depravo @ Sep 26 2009, 06:13 PM) I would rather the translators use their talents translating games that will never see an English language release, but hey - it's up to them what they do, right?

Yeah! They only seem to translate the "popular" games, and not the lesser known never going to be officially translated ones.

link_991

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has been brought up many times.
If someone wants to do a translation let them. It's not like it affects you in anyway.

NextStep

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
asdf said:
Yea, a menu and item translation is fine. But the whole story? C'mon people, the game is out in April!

i agree with you on the first part: menu, item, pokemon name, etc (the basic stuff) is good enough for casual players to play the game. (especially with game guides on the net)

but hey, if they want to translate the story, why criticize them? it's their choice.

plus, there's no harm in them doing so. if it's like a hobby to them, why would you say "stop doing what you like to do".

--------------------

Depravo, you have a point.

they could use their talents for other games that won't be released. but i don't think there will be any game with as much an audience as Pokemon.

Soma Bringer, one of my most enjoyed translation, has about 1500 replies and 290000 views in a year and a half.

Pokemon has already 1000+ replies, over 100000 views in just two weeks, or even less depending on the translator.

so despite all that, this is meaningful. at least all the people who reply to their topics think it is.

i'm not saying that's their logic (they could just love Pokemon so much that they decide to do it on this one), but if i had the knowledge to mod roms, and know japanese, then i might've chosen Pokemon also, rather than other games.

airpirate545

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They do it because the tools are readily available, which makes it relatively easy to do a translation, and becuase so many people want it. Personally, I would like to see a game like Jet Impulse translated, but it's not my choice.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
flame6753 said:
this thread is pointless. Thats like asking why there are different types of clothes. Everyone should just wear silver jumpsuits.

No, this thread is not pointless. Notice that your example is referring to clothes in general while my thread is about Pokemon HG/SS specifically.
rolleyes.gif

D

Deleted_171835

OP
link_991 said:
This has been brought up many times.
If someone wants to do a translation let them. It's not like it affects you in anyway.

I'm aware that it doesn't affect me but it's my opinion. Is this thread stopping Kazo from doing his translation? No! I was asking for other people's opinion on the topic. And...why Pokefreaks feel it's necessary to have a full game translation for something that's coming out soon.

Lyomak

Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
Colombia
hafzul.bhuiyan said:
I completeley agree!! we're NOT gunna die if we play this game in 4-6 months u kno...

If you die by X or Y reason and didn't played it, then talk about it xD

And yeah... Maybe translating the event's dialogues like Arceus or Pichu's one should be enough for dialogues...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, the fact of the translations doesn't annoy me the most. I knew there were going to be a bunch of impatient fucks who were going to attempt to translate the full thing and there's nothing I could do to stop it. The stupid will always outnumber the smart. That's right, I called myself smart, I have a big penis.

The thing that got me was the sheer narcissism that shot out of the assholes of these translators more than a day after an E. Coli outbreak at Taco Bell. No, people aren't narcissistic because they have diherria, I'm using diherria as a metaphor for narcissism, just thought I'd clear that up. Out of every single translation thread I have yet to see one "Thanks to thenewpoketext team" or credits to the supporters of the patch or other people behind the scenes (I may be wrong, though, but just from observations I don't see any of this). These people think the people hang on their every post because they're just "so" important. News flash fucktard, we've got like 5 translations out their. We'll live.

I'm also annoyed at the fact that these translations, unlike other ones, are all about being first instead of being the best. It's a race to see who can be the first to translate the menus, the Pokemon, the items, and now even the dialogue. They probably know as well as I do a dialogue translation is as useful as an actual Pokeball, but they don't care. They just want to have a golden shower of praise.

Also, I'd move this to the blog. This section is already jam-packed with Pokemon threads, and this is more blog-related. At least that's where I put my big translation rant.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Guild McCommunist said:
For me, the fact of the translations doesn't annoy me the most. I knew there were going to be a bunch of impatient fucks who were going to attempt to translate the full thing and there's nothing I could do to stop it. The stupid will always outnumber the smart. That's right, I called myself smart, I have a big penis.

The thing that got me was the sheer narcissism that shot out of the assholes of these translators more than a day after an E. Coli outbreak at Taco Bell. No, people aren't narcissistic because they have diherria, I'm using diherria as a metaphor for narcissism, just thought I'd clear that up. Out of every single translation thread I have yet to see one "Thanks to thenewpoketext team" or credits to the supporters of the patch or other people behind the scenes (I may be wrong, though, but just from observations I don't see any of this). These people think the people hang on their every post because they're just "so" important. News flash fucktard, we've got like 5 translations out their. We'll live.

I'm also annoyed at the fact that these translations, unlike other ones, are all about being first instead of being the best. It's a race to see who can be the first to translate the menus, the Pokemon, the items, and now even the dialogue. They probably know as well as I do a dialogue translation is as useful as an actual Pokeball, but they don't care. They just want to have a golden shower of praise.

Also, I'd move this to the blog. This section is already jam-packed with Pokemon threads, and this is more blog-related. At least that's where I put my big translation rant.

All I heard was bla, bla, bla, I have a big penis.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'd consider Chromebooks an Android PC. +1