Homebrew What techniques are used to find vulnerabilities in consoles

Im_Sarcastic_JackAzz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a very curious guy I have been very interested in console hacking for a long time now and I'm very impressed with what people can do. I know how Computers work and how to hack them, but something about consoles and portables seems to be way more different I have noticed the hardware has more security then the software on it I feel like that's where hackers start their attack.

My question is... Where do hackers start there analysis and what techniques do they use to find vulnerabilities in the consoles hardware/software? Thanks.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Many years ago I did write something while we were waiting to see what would go for the 3ds that detailed some things worth knowing here
https://gbatemp.net/threads/some-hacking-concepts-and-links.287721/
It is pretty much the same today.

Similarly most times the people doing the hacking, or some portion of it, will have a presentation at the various hacker/tech conferences detailing what they found and how they approached it.

Wii

Xbox 360 (though notably the comment about "nothing interesting there" was wrong and eventually led to the RGH family of hacks)

Original xbox

There is also a mistakes made PDF/website flanking this that is good to read, as is Bunnie's doc
https://bunniefoo.com/nostarch/HackingTheXbox_Free.pdf

3ds

PS3
https://media.ccc.de/v/27c3-4087-en-console_hacking_2010

Beyond that most of said same conferences also detail the fun and games people have with different techniques (the rise of ROP was a fun one for a few years, prior to that fun with FPGAs, when it turned out the Wii controller spoke a common comms protocol...) so well worth watching there.
Going the other way many of said conferences will feature a breakdown of older consoles (usually titled the ultimate ? talk where ? is a console, or in one case an apollo guidance computer). https://media.ccc.de/search/?q=ultimate will get you some.

The increased security of modern devices changes things somewhat, though it is also somewhat offset by you being able to ship things to your house that 15 years ago my million dollar lab would have had to pause before considering.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: