What size for HDD and SSD or HDD ?

Huex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, so I want to buy a brand new internal HDD to replace the 1tb HDD. Which size should I buy since I download all of my games ? Will 4tb be enough ? And which HDD brand ?

Also, is the SSD way better ? Because it’s also way more expensive…

One more question : I was thinking of something else, instead of replacing the internal HDD, I could add an external HDD but isn’t it better to only have just one HDD ? Won't having two HDD decrease performance?

Thanks

Scottla94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 2tb Seagate which is fine and from what I read there are no advantages to a ssd in a ps4 because it uses an older says protocol you want an internal that runs at 7200. I have an 8tb wd gamehub that I haven't even taken out of the box yet because I really don't need it with the 2 tb. I use a 2 tb external and ps explorer for pkg installs

Mo Poge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Internal limit is 2tb without tinkering around with the metal casing.
That used to be the case, but 4TB SSDs are getting cheaper and are the same size as a normal sized laptop/PS4 internal hard drive.

I'm hoping 8TB SSDs will drop significantly by Black Friday. :D

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That used to be the case, but 4TB SSDs are getting cheaper and are the same size as a normal sized laptop/PS4 internal hard drive.

I'm hoping 8TB SSDs will drop significantly by Black Friday. :D

Depends on if OP wants to waste couple hundred dollars on SSD. Without sale 4TB SSD cost $350 + tax

Huex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Depends on if OP wants to waste couple hundred dollars on SSD. Without sale 4TB SSD cost $350 + tax
Yes expensive… So either I wait few weeks to be able to buy a SSD or I buy a HDD. Is there a real performance difference ? Like in game, is it only better during loading screen or even in game ?

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
TBH you're fine with your 1TB inside the PS4, I've got a 2TB in mine and 3 4TB external usb 3.1 drives which I use for installing. You can only play so many games at once anyway, install, play the game, remove then install a new game from the external USB or you can now use a newtwork share and stream from a server.

Last edited by mrdude,

Mo Poge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes expensive… So either I wait few weeks to be able to buy a SSD or I buy a HDD. Is there a real performance difference ? Like in game, is it only better during loading screen or even in game ?
Not sure how well this would fare inside a PS4, but I've been using this $200 drive in my gaming PC (stores my Steam games) for the past couple of months with great success.

Leven 4TB SSD for $200 (USD)

Huex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Okay thanks for your answers, so I was thinking of doing this : buying a 1tb (or less) internal SSD and a 4tb (or more) external HDD. When I play a game I transfer it to the SSD in order to benefit from the advantages of the SSD during game play and when I finish it, I put it back on the internal HDD. Does it sounds good ?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay thanks for your answers, so I was thinking of doing this : buying a 1tb (or less) internal SSD and a 4tb (or more) external HDD. When I play a game I transfer it to the SSD in order to benefit from the advantages of the SSD during game play and when I finish it, I put it back on the internal HDD. Does it sounds good ?
yes, that's what I do with the ps5 to avoid paying those insane m2 prices for ps5 games. I do it for ps4 games as well, since they'll benefit from ssd speeds, maybe not m2, but better than an external hdd most likely.

Reactions: Mo Poge and Huex

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
8tb external hdd are cheap no a days just look for post at r/datahorders on reddit for a good deal for external hdds. Thats where I snug a 8tb external hdd for 95usd back then.

While my ps4's internal hdd, i just bought a cheapest laptop drive i can put on it (adata 256gig ssd), I only had ssd on that ps4 because thays the cheapest drive i can buy brandnew to replace the broken 1tb drive that came with it, and laptop hdd cost like 50bucks for a 1tb while the ssd only cost like 23bucks. As you see i dont really care about the internal hdd capacity as all of my games are stored on that 8tb drive. As long ps4 can boot, thats good enough for me.

Reactions: Mo Poge

Mo Poge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another thing to think about, if you have a lot of other systems/home theater hooked up, is if you get a smaller external 2.5" drive, it can be powered off the USB of the PS4/5, so no external power brick is needed like you would have for an 8TB+ HDD.

Currently, you can get a 5TB 2.5" drive in an external case for around $90-$100, depending on sales. Yeah, you lose out on 3TB or so, but then there's no power brick to deal with.

Huex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Okay thanks, I don’t know if I will buy a 8tb or 5tb HDD then… If I buy the HDD separately, what case would you recommend for a 8tb and what case for a 5tb ?

Also for an already built in HDD, which one would you recommend (between 5 and 8tb).

Mo Poge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Huex

k0walski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
There is one thing to consider about SSD. Unfortunately it's a rumor (can't find proof of that) - PS constantly writes some data during the gameplay (I guess game video, short pieces of it in case something goes wrong - to have something for the support), so if this is really true, it will wear the SSD memory faster than ordinary HDD... However, depending on SSD vendor/memory IC type, the lifespan might be comparable considering significant I/O speed increase when using SSD...

warriosbest

Trophies
XP
Country
Better off buying an external hdd, because it can be shared with different systems.
if i'm remember you can plugged ext-hdd into any jailbreak ps4 system, game will show up after awhile right ?

500GB-1TB SSD internal is best, some game like FFVII,etc.. have big boosted texture loading
ext-hdd about 2-4TB, more TB is better, but more TB you will use 3.5 instead

8tb external hdd are cheap no a days just look for post at r/datahorders on reddit for a good deal for external hdds. Thats where I snug a 8tb external hdd for 95usd back then.

While my ps4's internal hdd, i just bought a cheapest laptop drive i can put on it (adata 256gig ssd), I only had ssd on that ps4 because thays the cheapest drive i can buy brandnew to replace the broken 1tb drive that came with it, and laptop hdd cost like 50bucks for a 1tb while the ssd only cost like 23bucks. As you see i dont really care about the internal hdd capacity as all of my games are stored on that 8tb drive. As long ps4 can boot, thats good enough for me.
95$ for 8tb i think it's wd element that can shuckable too xD

pros for using ext-hdd as main :
- can easily delete game (internal-hdd after every crashed/rebuild database, delete option will just gone, i'm not sure about game debug-goldhen that can force delete, because last time i'm use it, it pretty fucked up savedata for other game lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • PandaPandel
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: im playing fortnite rn and just got rsn over by a car