what really makes a good game?

what do you think really makes a great game?

• Gameplay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Graphics

• HD (resolution)

• Console

• Mature Content

• Total voters

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Gameplay, story, play time (once you deduct the redundancy - a million identical "random" encounters, miles of empty hallways, etc.), replay value, music.

I like music.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
As Jockel and ojsinnerz said, this topic is stupid. You can't have a good topic without a good first post.

Anyways, this all depends on the kind of game you are playing.
  • Shmups don't need a story, they don't need good graphics, they don't need anything, except good gameplay mechanics and controls (which is generally something all games need).
  • RPGs need a good story, but again they don't need good graphics. Decent controls and gameplay mechanics are a must.
  • Puzzle and point-n-click games are the only kinds of games that at least need decent graphics, otherwise you can't figure out what in the world you are doing.
  • A rhythm game needs good audio and good controls. If either of those is sub-par, the game is just shit (read: Rhythm Tengoku). No need for flashy eye-stunning graphics, or a story. Guitar Hero and Rock Band have good audio and controls, but they try to add crisp visuals and a story too, which makes them fail miserably. The games are more fun without the damn story.
  • The list goes on but I can't be arsed to write my opinion on all game genres, I only picked out a couple of major ones.
Oh, BTW, I really can't see how a different console has anything to do with the quality of a game. It depends on who made the game and what they thought would be good for the game. The PSP for example has really impressive specs (and thus would be considered a 'good' console), but it has close to no great games (there are some gems but not many).

Also, graphics and HD come down to pretty much the same thing: the quality of the visuals.

And mature content is absolutely useless. Not a single game needs it to be good. No More Heroes had you cut open everyone, yet there was still no blood and gore, just fun. Had there been blood, I would have most likely brushed it off as being yet another generic gore game.

So, to conclude my post, what makes a game good fully depends on the genre of the game.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I like the gameplay in a game. If a game had great graphics but the gameplay was horrible, I most likely wouldn't like it.
I can't beleive someone actualy chose mature content lol

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Game play, replay ability and story are the most important things to me. i don't care if the characters are stick figures as long as its fun and keeps me entertained.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
what was i thinking back then when i made these treads? 0.0 with there was some kinda way to delete these unwanted treads.
unsure.gif

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
y, it's so different for everthing

survival horror games are nothing w/o graphics
rpgs are all about the story
racing/platformer games are about the replay value and near perfect controls

basically, everything belongs to the gameplay
because the graphics/controls/sound/replay value/presentation is included in the gameplay

but the #1 thing for me is to be able to get into the game easily[controls/good presentation] with ok amount of content

what is the most cheap and friggin annoying thing about some games, that they've got a good story, but no lenght whatsoever, they are too short
whatever happened to zelda:TP like games? instead you get ultrahard games with just a few hour long gameplay[dead rising]

Sc4rFac3d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Two things:

- Presentation
- Design

One could actually only have one of the above and it still could be regarded as a good game. Other than that not much matters.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PeregrinFig said:
Ramonra said:
You totally missed story
Gameplay is still more important than story. If they made a video game based on the story of Hamlet, but the gameplay was that of ET for the Atari 2600, the game would suck.

Well that's one example. Plenty of people love Bioshock but acknowledge that the gameplay is clunky as hell. They play it for the story/environment (although overall I didn't find the game that fascinating).

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
PeregrinFig said:
Ramonra said:
You totally missed story
Gameplay is still more important than story. If they made a video game based on the story of Hamlet, but the gameplay was that of ET for the Atari 2600, the game would suck.

Well that's one example. Plenty of people love Bioshock but acknowledge that the gameplay is clunky as hell. They play it for the story/environment (although overall I didn't find the game that fascinating).
See, to me that's ridiculous. Metal Gear Solid has a great story, but if it wasn't fun to play outside of the cutscenes, I wouldn't waste my time with it at all. If I just wanted a good story and didn't care about gameplay, I'd go watch a movie.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple