What Ninth-Generation Console is Better?

What's Better?

• PS5

• Xbox Series X

Results are only viewable after voting.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better as in "which one is more capable/powerful?", "which one has best (exclusive) games? Or" which one has the best library? ". Each of these reasons can shape the overall result.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I prefer PS5 for exclusivity, but right now, overall, it would have to be Xbox Series.

Considering that Xbox Series also gets Game Pass, Xbox OG/360/One backwards compatibility/emulation with enhancements, being able to install homebrew easily with dev mode, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), FreeSync support, etc.

wiindsurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
IMHO, main reasons to get either...

--- Hardware ---
XBoxSX: Engineered for maximum quality, robust and elegant technical design, i.e. "impressive"
PS5: Engineered for lowest cost, cheap and simple technical design, i.e. "efficient"

--- Software ---
XBox: Game Pass subscriptions
PS: Sony exclusives

Reactions: Tarmfot and Reploid

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
IMHO, main reasons to get either...

--- Hardware ---
XBoxSX: Engineered for maximum quality, robust and elegant technical design, i.e. "impressive"
PS5: Engineered for lowest cost, cheap and simple technical design, i.e. "efficient"

--- Software ---
XBox: Game Pass subscriptions
PS: Sony exclusives
soony doesn't have exlusive no more. maybe temp ones.

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really need to know this right now. Feel free to elaborate more on why you think your choice is better!
Think overall it would have to be the Series S/X lineup right now. Reason is that is comparison to PS5 they just have much more going for it then "mUh eXcUlSivEs" and have solid features like dev mode retroarch, backwards compatability, game pass and so much more value then the PS5 overall.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's hard to say because neither have a solid gaming library yet. They're still leeching off of the previous gen.

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's hard to say because neither have a solid gaming library yet. They're still leeching off of the previous gen.
Absolutely. Both feel like their last gen counterparts outside of UI changes and performance features.

I'd even go as far to say that if you're content with the performance of last gen Xbox One/PS4 that you have and don't really want the newer gen system for the performance feature then you should just stick to your current platform.

PS5 and Series S/X are good console & all, they just don't really have too many next gen games that are exclusive to it.

I can't really speak due to my limited time with the series s/x consoles but the PS5 in particular just really feels like a better ps4 with a new coat of paint & stuff.

Sure there was a new UI change, sure there was performance features over PS4 but personally they just felt the same to me.

Overall the 9th gen consoles are not really worth investing over if you have an 8th gen console and (again) are content with the performance that they have and don't really want to get a new console for better performance on certain games.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Series X has Dolby Vision for gaming. I've tried that in a couple of titles now, and it looks absolutely stunning. It's considerably better than HDR10 and no one knows if Sony will even bother implementing it after the exclusivity deal ends next year.
The Series X also has no exclusives, so while it's basically the king of the multiplats (minus a couple of weird early growing pains), it's really better as a PC alternative or just for someone deeply ingrained in Microsoft's ecosystem.
That said, PS5 doesn't have many exclusives yet. Nearly all of the Sony exclusives can be played on the PS4, and it looks like most Sony games are going to start making their way to PC.

If I had to pick one... Series X by a razor thin margin. That may not be true in a year, though.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Apples to apples without involving PC in the discussion, PS5 is the better buy for my money. The controller has some nice upgrades over last gen, I prefer the UI, and it's got the better storage expansion options. I also think Sony has the better upscaling implementation, which is important since neither console is able to run true 4K @ 60 FPS.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apples to apples without involving PC in the discussion, PS5 is the better buy for my money. The controller has some nice upgrades over last gen, I prefer the UI, and it's got the better storage expansion options. I also think Sony has the better upscaling implementation, which is important since neither console is able to run true 4K @ 60 FPS.
That's great.

What about the games?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's great.

What about the games?
Sony has the better exclusives for the moment, but that might change in the future as Microsoft's recent acquisitions start to pay off. Developers are predictably gonna hold off on making too many titles next-gen exclusive for a while, in response to the hardware/component shortage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I could claw back 14tb by only doing 2 parity disks but I feel like with 13 disks in the RAID...