Hardware What modchip to get?

linkmaster03

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What Wii modchip should I get? I want one that will be compatible with my Wii (duh), one that is EASY to solder with SUPER LOW chance of bricking (my dad is very good at soldering), that can use many DVD media, that can update, that is around $40 or less, and finally, one that is very compatible with Wii backups. Hope somebody can help me choose the right chip!!
smile.gif

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
personally think open source are the best, updates frequently, installs easily (with wire), two good ones with frequent update are Openwii, and Wiifree. chiip is easy to make but updates somewhat slower but it is a great chip also.

if you dont want to do all that work of building or know anyone with a programmer i guess go with cheapest commercial mod chip, updates arnt too important unless if the chip doesnt perform well, only updates you will see with these mod chips are fixes and tweaks so you wont need a update if you get a nice mod chip. region free wasnt a big deal for me but i use NTSC-U system, think their not that important unless if you can read japanese or have a PAL Wii

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Myself, i am getting a Wiikey, because from what i've read, it's the best commercial modchip. Should be possible for my dad to solder, i think.
He says he's good at soldering, but he was too afraid to solder the modchip he got for his PS2 because everything was so small.

Is the soldering points on the Wii as small as the ones on PS2 (old type)?

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yea small as ps2 but not as close together, but only 6 for wiikey compared to ps2 which is 20.

did read somewhere that wiikey has issues think it was audiofix, gc related. seems like a good choice, cyclowiz also does seem fine since it already has a update out

if you want i can sell you a preprogramed openwii/wiifree/chiip pm for info or check my post on trade forum

cheefy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what you described the wiikey is your bst choice. There was a scare going on that they were not going to upgrade their chip (via dvd) so there would b no gc compatibality but they have just informed that it will be coming out very shortly.

Everything you asked for pointed to the wiikey, not a hard install plus best compatibility so far

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wiikey seems the best one to get at the moment. You can also use the quick solder method to install it (Unless you have one of the new wiis with the soldering point missing, then you need to do a wire install). The chip itself is really small, so unless your above average with your soldering skills, get a professional to install it for you. So far I've been really pleased with mine.

squall3031

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would say, just wait for 2nd generation wii modchip. In the meantime just get original game that you really want to play.

I regretted so much when the first time i bought my ps2. I had my ps2 chipped from 1st generation modchip (the one that you need Action Replay to boot backup), and then I changed it to the 2nd generation modchip (Magic 3). And then few years later, I bought a new ps2 and I got myself 4th generation modchip (Blue Chip) and so far I'm happy with the 4th generation.

Wanque

Trophies
Website
www.worldofwows.com
XP
Country
Stop saying 'generation' so much. It gives me a headache.

linkmaster03, buy any of the chips. All chips are pretty much identical.

Apart from oven chips. They're completely different.

DeVS

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually the Cyclowiz is currently better then the Wiikey, as both are upgradeable via DVD but the Cyclowiz v2 has the GameCube audio fix THAT WORKS unlike the Wiikey. Even the Wiinja v2 has the freaking GameCube aduio fix though it is not upgradeable, nor does it really need to be as there is nothing left to do with these dvd drive mod chips.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn