What modchip to get?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by linkmaster03, Apr 20, 2007.

Apr 20, 2007

What modchip to get? by linkmaster03 at 12:50 AM (1,357 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. linkmaster03
    OP

Newcomer linkmaster03 Advanced Member

United States
    What Wii modchip should I get? I want one that will be compatible with my Wii (duh), one that is EASY to solder with SUPER LOW chance of bricking (my dad is very good at soldering), that can use many DVD media, that can update, that is around $40 or less, and finally, one that is very compatible with Wii backups. Hope somebody can help me choose the right chip!! [​IMG]

2. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    personally think open source are the best, updates frequently, installs easily (with wire), two good ones with frequent update are Openwii, and Wiifree. chiip is easy to make but updates somewhat slower but it is a great chip also.

if you dont want to do all that work of building or know anyone with a programmer i guess go with cheapest commercial mod chip, updates arnt too important unless if the chip doesnt perform well, only updates you will see with these mod chips are fixes and tweaks so you wont need a update if you get a nice mod chip. region free wasnt a big deal for me but i use NTSC-U system, think their not that important unless if you can read japanese or have a PAL Wii

3. linkmaster03
    OP

United States
    Any others?

4. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Myself, i am getting a Wiikey, because from what i've read, it's the best commercial modchip. Should be possible for my dad to solder, i think.
    He says he's good at soldering, but he was too afraid to solder the modchip he got for his PS2 because everything was so small.

Is the soldering points on the Wii as small as the ones on PS2 (old type)?

5. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    yea small as ps2 but not as close together, but only 6 for wiikey compared to ps2 which is 20.

did read somewhere that wiikey has issues think it was audiofix, gc related. seems like a good choice, cyclowiz also does seem fine since it already has a update out

if you want i can sell you a preprogramed openwii/wiifree/chiip pm for info or check my post on trade forum

6. linkmaster03
    OP

United States
    I'll probably be getting a Wiikey. I misread something about it, making it sound bad. [​IMG]

Well, thanks.

7. cheefy

Newcomer cheefy Newbie

United States
    For what you described the wiikey is your bst choice. There was a scare going on that they were not going to upgrade their chip (via dvd) so there would b no gc compatibality but they have just informed that it will be coming out very shortly.

Everything you asked for pointed to the wiikey, not a hard install plus best compatibility so far

8. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Wiikey seems the best one to get at the moment. You can also use the quick solder method to install it (Unless you have one of the new wiis with the soldering point missing, then you need to do a wire install). The chip itself is really small, so unless your above average with your soldering skills, get a professional to install it for you. So far I've been really pleased with mine.

9. squall3031

Member squall3031 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I would say, just wait for 2nd generation wii modchip. In the meantime just get original game that you really want to play.

I regretted so much when the first time i bought my ps2. I had my ps2 chipped from 1st generation modchip (the one that you need Action Replay to boot backup), and then I changed it to the 2nd generation modchip (Magic 3). And then few years later, I bought a new ps2 and I got myself 4th generation modchip (Blue Chip) and so far I'm happy with the 4th generation.

10. Wanque

Member Wanque GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Stop saying 'generation' so much. It gives me a headache.

linkmaster03, buy any of the chips. All chips are pretty much identical.

Apart from oven chips. They're completely different.

11. DeVS

Newcomer DeVS Advanced Member

United States
    Actually the Cyclowiz is currently better then the Wiikey, as both are upgradeable via DVD but the Cyclowiz v2 has the GameCube audio fix THAT WORKS unlike the Wiikey. Even the Wiinja v2 has the freaking GameCube aduio fix though it is not upgradeable, nor does it really need to be as there is nothing left to do with these dvd drive mod chips.

12. Wanque

Member Wanque GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I tried installing a Cyclowiz, and it just made a noise and fell out.

Damn Cyclowiz.

13. iamwhoiam

Member iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

United Kingdom
    Gahahaha.. thank you [​IMG]