What Makes First/Third Person shooting games fun?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not educated enough to understand why people find it fun to play these games, games like overwatch, call of duty, battlefield, counterstrike, or that other one everyone keep talking to me about Player Unknown's battleground. So I'm asking players who do play those games, and willing to pay over and over again for every new version of the game with the same concept like call of duty, why? What is is that you see in the games?

Pardon if it seems rude but honestly I'm not trying to sound mean, I'm just confused and wanna know more about it. I did play such games before, I spent $60 on Call of Duty Black Ops 2 for ps3 in a attempt to try something new in hopes of having more variety of games to play and make friends. Though the game offered 3 play modes, the multiplayer mode has a very toxic player base. The teams I'm put on do not follow the objective at all but always focus on killing the other players. The goal to win requires collecting dog tags of defeated player, not just killing to win. That is what the game mode you choose to participate in, why not do it right? People constantly drop in and out of games, some are not even playable.

Before you tell me "Just don't play, obviously the game isn't your type, and is not for you." I am aware of that, the point was why do others like it? Simply cause I don't enjoy a game doesn't mean I can't try to understand other's reasoning for enjoying it.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not into all shooters, but I enjoy a romp through Overwatch or Splatoon 2 every once and again, and Battlefield 1 I find insanely fun. I like these games for different reasons. It's very hard to clump all first and third-person shooters together. Overwatch is great because of its team-based play. Every character is unique and there's plenty of variety in maps and modes. I really enjoy cooperative play. You need a good team around you, but when you get one, it feels awesome. Then there's games like Splatoon 2 and Battlefield 1 that, while also offering team-based play, are great for their movement and adrenaline. When you really get into both games, you start getting a feel for the maps, the things you can do, and your mobility. Then those games become a frenetic, yet still controlled rush that you just can't get from other games. I love Splatoon's core inking mechanic which ties together mobility and gameplay. I'm referring to Ranked Battle here, not the usual Turf War. Your color ink allows you greater mobility and is a really exciting mechanic in messy competitive matches where you're vying for an objective but have to take your surroundings into account at all times. In a word, it's stimulating. Somewhat similar in Battlefield 1. I love the squads, as within a large-scale battle, you have your little strike teams with which you push objectives. The movement is very fluid, and once you get a feel for the map, it's a great game of skill against opponents. Diving from cover to cover and rushing enemies with your small teams is always exciting and feels greatly satisfying to me. I also LOVE Halo (if you couldn't tell by my username), and I like it for its incredible arcade-style gameplay. Or... well, I used to. Halo 5 lost a lot of the arcade charm of its predecessors.

Shooters that don't do these things are not very interesting to me. I actually don't dislike Call of Duty. Modern Warfare-era COD was great fun, and Black Ops 3 had a great interplay of mobility and map design. Other COD games, like Infinite Warfare, have really poor map design that results in endless alleyway twitch shootouts, which is not as fun. I never got into Counterstrike for that reason. That game does not emphasize mobility, and is therefore less interesting to me. I value mobility and adrenaline with a fair bit of deliberation and carefulness that comes with getting a good feel for the game, the controls, and the maps. Counterstrike sits entirely in the realm of deliberation and careful play, which I don't find as interesting.

I should also say that I really don't like third person shooters. Splatoon is the only third person shooter I've ever enjoyed. Or maybe I'm forgetting some other games, I dunno. Never liked Gears of War or anything. Some games that come close are Mass Effect 1 and 2, but I'd consider those more RPG than shooter.

Maybe you should give other kinds of shooters a try. Call of Duty is known for having a very toxic user base, and you shouldn't judge all shooters by your experience with CoD, since they're all unique in their own ways. CoD multiplayer has a bad rap, and tends to give other shooters a bad rap, like Battlefield. We're also past the days of drab, gritty, "realistic" shooters. There's some great variety out there.

They're very competitive yet accessible.

Can't stress this enough! Competition drives a lot of what I mentioned earlier. I like Splatoon 2's Ranked Battle because it's really competitive, especially when you get to higher ranks. I've always enjoyed Halo tournaments with friends, gathered around a TV late at night. Battlefield 1 and Overwatch bring plenty of cooperative play into a competitive scene, and that makes for a great time for me, too.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm not educated enough to understand why people find it fun to play these games, games like overwatch, call of duty, battlefield, counterstrike, or that other one everyone keep talking to me about Player Unknown's battleground. So I'm asking players who do play those games, and willing to pay over and over again for every new version of the game with the same concept like call of duty, why? What is is that you see in the games?

Pardon if it seems rude but honestly I'm not trying to sound mean, I'm just confused and wanna know more about it. I did play such games before, I spent $60 on Call of Duty Black Ops 2 for ps3 in a attempt to try something new in hopes of having more variety of games to play and make friends. Though the game offered 3 play modes, the multiplayer mode has a very toxic player base. The teams I'm put on do not follow the objective at all but always focus on killing the other players. The goal to win requires collecting dog tags of defeated player, not just killing to win. That is what the game mode you choose to participate in, why not do it right? People constantly drop in and out of games, some are not even playable.

Before you tell me "Just don't play, obviously the game isn't your type, and is not for you." I am aware of that, the point was why do others like it? Simply cause I don't enjoy a game doesn't mean I can't try to understand other's reasoning for enjoying it.
They probably enjoy the competitive aspect of it and like the feeling they get from blowing people's brains out virtually.
I'm not a shooter fan, but I do enjoy Splatoon, and I have had some fun with other unconventional shooters. I think it's just the base "shoot people before they shoot you" part I don't like that much.

RyanAnayaMc

The ACE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just like shooters because they tend to be more action-focused and fast paced. I like playing CoD, Battlefield, GTA, and other fast shooters, but I tend to have problems playing tactical shooters like CSGO and R6 Siege because I get the urge to rush the enemy. Pretty much all the games I play are fast-paced (NFS, SSB, etc.), and the fast pace is what makes them fun in my opinion. Sure, there is the competitive aspect, like in Overwatch and CSGO, and their competitive modes really test how good you are (at least in CSGO - not Lv25 yet in Overwatch :D).

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
FPS games like Call of Duty or Battlefield are dynamic and easy to get into, which is why they're often popular with people who don't invest much time into video games. Games like Counter-Strike and Overwatch however require a lot more patience with their appeal being in the competitive aspects and the excitement involved in it.

I used to play quite a lot of Counter-Strike and honestly I don't think I've ever simultaneously loved and hated something as much as that game. The fast, precise controls and the way the game rewards teamwork without disrespecting the capabilities of each individual player is genius, but it's butchered by absurd balancing mechanics like the economy system, crappy anti-cheat system(you see blatant aimbots and wallhacks more often then you ever should) and of course, the acid community.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...I can only partially answer, as I'm only a fan of the so-called "twitch-based" first person shooters. They're on the opposite spectrum of what's generally referred to as "realistic" shooters in the sense that they favor fast running, offensive play and projectile weapons over cautious play, cover based mechanics or hitscan weapons. Third person shooters are, to my knowledge, always of the second kind (or more exactly: I don't know one I would label as twitch-based). I'm not saying either kind of game or their playerbase is bad, lacks skill or isn't fun, but it is important that even though they both feature the same perspective and use weapons, they play out so differently that they might as well be different game styles (kind of how turn based and action RPG's are viewed as separate).

To me, these games are about honing skills that feel very rewarding when used correctly*. Things like circle strafing, running backwards, leading your target (meaning: shooting where you'll anticipate he'll be when your projectiles hit), dodging and obviously hand-eye co-ordination are things to pick up and improve upon just about every time you play. In 1vs1 you've got an entire psychology game of anticipating where the opponent is (meaning: listening to even the smallest sound), health management and using the right weapons. In capture the flag there's team play involved (note: yes, on pubs you might encounter people just clowning around. Learn to use this environment can be fun in and of itself, because grabbing a flag and returning home with it isn't as easy as it may sound). And of course the type of game usually comes with tricks of their own. Epic's games usually contain "lift jumps", where if you jump at the right time while riding an elevator it'll boos you into the air. The shock rifle, which can shoot a sort of bubble that can be shot with the other fire mode, is also a staple. Being able to shoot that ball at your enemy, avoid fire and then hitting it when it's near your enemy is considered to be a work of art (it may sound strange to others, but pulling that of really creates a sort of "I was THERE!!!" kind of memory :P ).

The competitive nature is certainly there. Accessible...I guess. It's been years since it was my bread and butter, and while I had a good entry, there's no denying that there also exists the toxic kind of community. The ones who want to feel bigger than they are by bringing others down, rather than encouraging and supporting everyone to play better, which (in the long run) creates a better environment where wins feel truly earned.

*also the note here: I've never been comfortable enough with controllers to truly be in "the zone" with it for shooters. To me, it'll always be mouse and keyboard

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Team work. Playing with friends.
Its the reason why many people play. Plus its easy to get into. You shoot, run and cover.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It's weird, especially for me, as I get very motion sick with first-person games. I didn't like Overwatch, I've always found CoD to be boring, but I also really enjoyed Titanfall, Halo, and L4D2. Halo, especially so, since it has a bunch of hilarious modes that aren't typical shooter fare.

I dislike the heavily competitive shooter Overwatch, because I'm not very skilled in FPS games, or at the game itself (though I suppose 3 hours might not have been time enough for a fair judgement), but I found playing Halo 5 online against people to be really enjoyable, because of the way the game controls, and how there were multiple different game modes between the shooting, like trying to stomp enemies from the air, or riding little ATVs to stay in a small ring.

Shooter games in general require a lot of skill, and not much luck, so it makes for an easy to play, hard to master competitive game. You can pick it up and play quick matches, and slowly learn more mechanics and refine your skill at it, as you casually invest more hours into it. Sort of like Rocket League. Of course, shooters also have one of the worst competitive scenes, so that's a thing.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't know. The only fun I ever had with a COD game was sticking an m80 in it and whipping it over the local mine pit (old decommissioned mine filled with water) and watching it go boom and my friend freak out the whole time because he felt it was a waste which I did too so I decided to at least get some fun out of a regrettable purchase ( my friend however didn't seem to have as much fun)

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
It's weird, especially for me, as I get very motion sick with first-person games. I didn't like Overwatch, I've always found CoD to be boring, but I also really enjoyed Titanfall, Halo, and L4D2. Halo, especially so, since it has a bunch of hilarious modes that aren't typical shooter fare.

I dislike the heavily competitive shooter Overwatch, because I'm not very skilled in FPS games, or at the game itself (though I suppose 3 hours might not have been time enough for a fair judgement), but I found playing Halo 5 online against people to be really enjoyable, because of the way the game controls, and how there were multiple different game modes between the shooting, like trying to stomp enemies from the air, or riding little ATVs to stay in a small ring.

Shooter games in general require a lot of skill, and not much luck, so it makes for an easy to play, hard to master competitive game. You can pick it up and play quick matches, and slowly learn more mechanics and refine your skill at it, as you casually invest more hours into it. Sort of like Rocket League. Of course, shooters also have one of the worst competitive scenes, so that's a thing.
Everything has a worse competitive/fan boy girl scene. Unless your going to let other people ruin things for you, then you won't be able to enjoy games you would've otherwise enjoyed.

I can kinda see the motion sickness. I know some people that get like that for Video Games so they don't play them.

I liked the first 2 modern warfares but stopped playing after. I lost interest in the series, they do feel too similar.

I guess you dislike the competitive aspect of Overwatch and not the game itself? But then the competitive aspect is Overwatch.
I know people that would avoid games they are not good at. Sometimes I would purposely play badly, just so I can play a game with someone that would've otherwise avoid playing.

D

Deleted-379826

Others above have said it quite perfectly, although you judging shooters based on that Call of Duty game may be a bit harsh. Something like Overwatch would be something much better to judge with unique flashy characters and more team-oriented play with a nice cartoonish feel. Much more fun IMO.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Everything has a worse competitive/fan boy girl scene. Unless your going to let other people ruin things for you, then you won't be able to enjoy games you would've otherwise enjoyed.

I can kinda see the motion sickness. I know some people that get like that for Video Games so they don't play them.

I liked the first 2 modern warfares but stopped playing after. I lost interest in the series, they do feel too similar.

I guess you dislike the competitive aspect of Overwatch and not the game itself? But then the competitive aspect is Overwatch.
I know people that would avoid games they are not good at. Sometimes I would purposely play badly, just so I can play a game with someone that would've otherwise avoid playing.
I wouldn't be surprised if people avoided video games due to motion sickness, I've felt awful after playing some games before. Anything with an overly shakey camera, or certain FOV's in first person games will bother me immensely. Amusingly, the worst motion sickness I've ever had was with some Mysims game when I was a kid--it just physically hurt to play.

I tried Overwatch alone, with friends, and competitively. The game itself just didn't sit right with me. I can see that it's a good game, I just can't enjoy it, myself. But the thing is, I really like competitive games, just not this one, for whatever reason. I do like how Overwatch is unique and has a ton of characters, though. I suppose it just comes down to personal preference.

Reactions: Deleted-379826
D

Deleted-379826

I wouldn't be surprised if people avoided video games due to motion sickness, I've felt awful after playing some games before. Anything with an overly shakey camera, or certain FOV's in first person games will bother me immensely. Amusingly, the worst motion sickness I've ever had was with some Mysims game when I was a kid--it just physically hurt to play.

I tried Overwatch alone, with friends, and competitively. The game itself just didn't sit right with me. I can see that it's a good game, I just can't enjoy it, myself. But the thing is, I really like competitive games, just not this one, for whatever reason. I do like how Overwatch is unique and has a ton of characters, though. I suppose it just comes down to personal preference.
Motion sickness sounds pretty bad, that must suck. The only time I've gotten gaming motion sickness is in low framerate or reaaaaally bad looking VR games.

Reactions: Chary

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well there's your problem.
The vast majority of online players are highly competitive, high strung, game-breaking, min-maxing, exploit-seeking, cheating, trash-talking, often completely incompetent assholes looking only to increase their own scores (where kill/death ratio trumps team wins) and not the general enjoyment of the game, and they are also 12. So yeah, the online player base is toxic.

How do you feel about single-player campaigns? And primarily single-player games?

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You know in Overwatch you can find much more Lore and Plot than FF15, full of charismatic characters who even have more personalities than the ones in latest FF.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, it comes down to one word, "Satisfaction."
It's satisfying to do 'X' or its satisfying to do 'Y'. This is kind of subjective so let me say some examples.

Its sooooooo satisfying to enter bullet time and blast away entire squads of soldiers (with insane A.I. for 2005) in F.E.A.R. with a shotgun. The blast from the shotgun lights up the entire screen in what seems like 1000 sparklers going off all at once. Or its so satisfying to drive a Warthog off a cliff in Halo and fall onto the enemy team, killing them in a funny and comedic way. Or finnaly, Its satisfying to drill people in Bioshock 2, just for the lolz.

Like Chary, i'm not into skill based shooters, I'm more attracted to the story of games and a lot of them (Halo, Half-Life and Bioshock 1-2 to name a few) have amazing stories that draw in those who are not even fans of FPS games. My girlfriend can't play FPS games to save her life, but she BEGGED me to play Bioshock 1-2 with her because I told her about the story and she wanted to see it.

Last edited by Stephano,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...