Hacking What is Wiiware?

Grimm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've asked this question a few times in my "Wii Homebrew Channel: It's abilities and uses" thread and no one has replied for the past couple days. So here it is:

What is Wiiware and what does it do?

lavamasta

Trophies
Website
swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
omg ur a noob... even people who dont hack or anything know this. anyone who has been to the shop channel should know actually. its a game made by nintendo for wii. has slightly better graphics than 64 games usually. that good enough?

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Wiiware refers to games that can be downloaded from the Shop Channel that are devoloped by Nintendo or 3rd party devolopers. These games are downloaded as channels, like Virtual Console games, but unlike Virtual Console games, these are not ports or emulations of older games, but entirely new games.

There isn't any need to be so harsh on the user.

Thingmaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiWare is part of the Nintendo shopping channel - which you will see IF you have your Wii on-line. They are basically games you can purchase, then download to own. They are usually not as extensive as games you buy on Disc, but some are quite excellent (World of Goo, Tetris Party and others).

Edit: Whoops - someone replied seconds before - sorry.

lavamasta

Trophies
Website
swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
lol sorry for callin u a noob it's just that most people would know that, but i guess u might haave just started usin shop channel or something... i ges we all started out as noobs
tongue.gif

oneleggedjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AWSOME, Wiiware is a virus that will manipulate your wii to perform unmentionable sex acts via the wiimote. I just love wiiware, wears me out sometimes, then it spits in my face and calls me a naughty boy.
blink.gif
i think i got some in mii eye

games2007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oneleggedjack said:
AWSOME, Wiiware is a virus that will manipulate your wii to perform unmentionable sex acts via the wiimote. I just love wiiware, wears me out sometimes, then it spits in my face and calls me a naughty boy.
blink.gif
i think i got some in mii eye

*EDIT*
Damn, you beat me to it.
lol

Grimm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to the guys who replied in an intelligent way. I appreciate the help, since there are a lot of guides out there but not all of them address new users as if they don't know which way to hold a controller.

I also thank the guys who replied like asses. Thank you for acting like adults and treating everyone the same. I find it great that you guys treat GBATemp as a mountain from which you can toss lightning bolts at the less informed instead of a community of people who help each other learn, which is what it actually is.

I guess my next question would be: If I soft-mod my Wii, will I be able to use Wiiware games as well as backups and homebrew by loading them from discs?

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
no you won't. wii-ware games are installed to the wiis nand memory and can only be executed from there. there might be a wii-ware/vc-loader for usb/sd in future but not now. there are two ways to obtain wii-ware. nr 1 is the shop channel and nr 2 is the web and installing them with wadmanager. nr 2 is not legal at all.

Grimm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I will be able to play GCN and Wii backups from discs and USB/SD but Wiiware and Virtual Console games have to be installed on the Wii using Wadmanager.

Then that means that Wiiware and Virtual Console games are the wad files i've been hearing about here and there. I understand that using any software that you didn't buy is illegal. To me this includes GCN and Wii backups (that are downloaded, not copies of your own games) Wiiware and Virtual Console games.

What are the odds that Nintendo will find out if you have warez installed on your Wii (such as Wiiware or VC games) and if they do find out, what can they (are they) do/ing about it?

MUDjoe2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.mudjoe2.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Some rumors have been flying around that using burned copies of games online can get you banned from Nintendo Wi-Fi (i.e. Mario Kart Wii).

Also, firmware updates generally attempt to block warez, but from what I've heard, they're not successful most of the time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    He is now fishy.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sak is a fishy pineapple
    Have a good night everyone.
    i'm getting sleepy.
    So much drinking from @K3Nv2
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    Veho @ Veho: California has already banned those additives BTW.