What is Wii U's file system?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by gregory2590, May 25, 2014.

1. gregory2590
    OP

gregory2590 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2009
    United States
    My external hard drive is NTFS, and my wii u is asking me to reformat it. What does it reformat to?

2. razielleonhart

razielleonhart RazzyDee

May 21, 2008
    it will auto format it to the file file system if your using it just for the Wii U if your using it for vWii mode dont formate it

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It'll format it to some encrypted WiiU-only filesystem that can't be used with anything else IIRC.

4. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    the wiiu uses its very own file system and you cant use the formated drive on your computer without formating it to ntfs or fat32 again
    if you just want to use the drive for the wiiu, then let the wiiu format it, if you want to use it for vwii, then dont format it, as vwii wont be able to read it, if you are worried, that you might accidentaly format it and lose your wii backups, then try this
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/ustealth-wii-u-format-disk-nag-workaround.352786/
    with this you can hide your drive from the wiiu in wiiu mode, so it won't ask to format it, but you can still use it in vwii for wiiflow or other backup loaders that support ustealth

5. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Also, it will format the whole drive, regardless of prior partitions. If you need a drive for the Wii U, use it solely on the console and transfer all other files somewhere else. Otherwise you'll lose said files.