What is the minimum recommended SD Card Class?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by GH0, Jan 1, 2014.

1. GH0
    OP

GH0 Advanced Member

Dec 26, 2008
    United States
    For the Gateway 3DS, is there any recommended sd card class? I know on the NDS, initially the recommended class was 6. Was wondering if that was the same, or if there was a general consensus on the class for the card.

2. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Generally faster is better. I've had minor lag in some games with a Class 4 on my NDS, so I personally wouldn't want lower than a 6 for 3ds, with 8 being preffered. Then again, I don't know what the bandwidth is on the 3dscart itself to know if it would be a bottleneck at any point.

3. tomiga

tomiga GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    United States
    I've been able to run multiple games on a class 2 MicroSD card without any issues. Though, I did buy two class 10 MicroSD cards (SanDisk Ultra 8GB) for most of my Gateway usage.

4. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    Out of boredom I've compared the loadtimes of a few games from a noname class 2 and a transcend class 10 (no u) with a stopwatch. I wasn't able to measure any significant difference.

However there are noticeable differences in write speed on the computer, writing a game to the class 2 takes 4 times longer than to the class 10. Granted, in a typical use case scenario the gateway microSD is way more often read than written to, but as faster cards aren't that much more expensive I'm more than willing on spending a few extra bucks. Especially as I will most likely still be able to use those faster cards a few years down the road when the gateway and(or the 3DS went the way of the dodo.

5. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pok├ębro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Pretty much echoing what's been mostly said in this thread, there is no notable benefit to using higher class micro SD card for 3DS ROMs.

6. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States

Makes sense since SD class numbers are only based on write speed, not read speed.

7. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    True, by the SD standard the SD class ratings only guarantee minimum sustainable write speeds. But empirical evidence (I don't have any tangible numbers at the moment but did a few benchmarks some time ago) shows that read speed correlates with write speed. See for example http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/12/highlow-sd-cards/ .

8. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The difference in price is usually $2 at most. I just go with Class 10 almost exclusively for that reason.