Hacking What is the best setup to run Backups?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very cool. Thanks for the speedy response.

Any types of SD cards I should avoid or locate? I see all of this "ultra", "ultra plus", "class 10", "EVO" and etc.

I am looking at: SanDisk Ultra PLUS 64GB microSD Card, Mobile, Class 10 for $18.93

Any hard drives recommended? I know most are not powered now and will require a Y splitter for power.

I am looking at: Seagate Backup Plus 1TB Slim Portable External Hard Drive for $59.99
The sd card requirement is Fat32 Format, Only SDHC branded sd cards are set that way by default. If you get SDXC card, you need a pc program to format it to fat 32, it still will work. Best results is Anything between 4GB-32GB, As for brand, i dunno, i have and always will use sandisk so you are free to use it.

The HDD needs to be powered somehow, either usb y cable (takes up 2 slots on wii u) or dedicated power source somehow. Any HDD should work, but i assume nintendo's website has a list of tested and proven worked HDD. The one i use is Western Digital branded one 1TB, Usb 3.0 compatible. Segate is a good brand and should work with no problem. :)

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
No, it can't but you can use disc2app to dump disc games to a sd card then install with wupinstaller.

Maybe soon it will happen that we can do like wiiflow and install disc games to HDD with no in between :)

nice!
how much SD space would i need for Smash ?
i was so surprised to see MK8 being only about 4gigs..

dont tell me SSB is aroudn 7gigs now XD
i would actualy prefer it to be around that, because my SD is only 32gigs and has only around 10gigs free.

Okro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sd card requirement is Fat32 Format, Only SDHC branded sd cards are set that way by default. If you get SDXC card, you need a pc program to format it to fat 32, it still will work. Best results is Anything between 4GB-32GB, As for brand, i dunno, i have and always will use sandisk so you are free to use it.

The HDD needs to be powered somehow, either usb y cable (takes up 2 slots on wii u) or dedicated power source somehow. Any HDD should work, but i assume nintendo's website has a list of tested and proven worked HDD. The one i use is Western Digital branded one 1TB, Usb 3.0 compatible. Segate is a good brand and should work with no problem. :)

Thanks! Started the ball rolling today. Gotta wait for a 4-port powered and switchable hub for ebay but as I wait for delivery. I will get the rest ready. :D

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice!
how much SD space would i need for Smash ?
i was so surprised to see MK8 being only about 4gigs..

dont tell me SSB is aroudn 7gigs now XD
i would actualy prefer it to be around that, because my SD is only 32gigs and has only around 10gigs free.
If you are unsure of the required size, check eshop for it. It tells you how much is required for the game you want. From what i remember the game itself is about 10GB, (NOT INCLUDING DLC AND UPDATES) So remember to do that if you wanna know. :)

WII U disc actually go to about 25GB, but rare that games get over 15GB so is probably not much to worry about. Again, is the game itself, is not including updates or dlc data.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

Okro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Components for my setup starting to arrive today, the powered usb supply. Once all is in, I will post up a pic or two and tell of my experience.

In the interim, I am curious to know rather than having a 2-drive setup or 1-drive/SD card setup to play wii games too, can't you use disc2app or WiiU download helper to place VC Wii/GC games to the hard drive and play that way?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Components for my setup starting to arrive today, the powered usb supply. Once all is in, I will post up a pic or two and tell of my experience.

In the interim, I am curious to know rather than having a 2-drive setup or 1-drive/SD card setup to play wii games too, can't you use disc2app or WiiU download helper to place VC Wii/GC games to the hard drive and play that way?
Yes you can. I rarely go into vWii anymore. My favorites are on my Wii U menu and I autoboot with CBHC.

I just with they'd release SSBB GC on eShop. Then I'd never go into vWii again

Last edited by Kafluke,

woebtz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

Hoping someone can help me out with a problem I'm running into.

I am in the process of setting everything up on a Wii U. I have CFW on Wii U with games installed to a USB HDD. I also have a USB HDD set up for Wii Backups on my vWii.

The problem is, when both HDDs are plugged in at the same time, Wiiflow cannot see my Wii Drive. This problem occurs regardless of what port my Wii HDD is plugged into. Everything works fine as soon as I unplug the Wii U HDD, but I would like to avoid unplugging and replugging whenever I want to switch.

I set up the Wii drive correctly with BootIce and have it hidden from the WiiU using U-Stealth. Literally everything works...Except when both drives are plugged in.

I know WiiFlow isn't really a Wii U thing, and I have posted this question in a WiiFlow thread as well, but I thought since it deals with multi-hdd set up. Any ideas on how I can make this work?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice y'all might have.

WOEBTZ

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i remember correctly, you have to plug in usb into the back port on the left side of the system for wii flow to detect it. (Of course if you are using y cable, it can be hard to tell which one to fit in there. The other wii u format HDD would only work in the front since is only 2 ports left for the y cable, so i think that is the problem. Also if you plug two usb in to wii u, shouldn't it notify you to use only one? It happen to me and it seem like no way around it. Also your wiiflow HDD needs to be NTFS format.

dooceswild

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you can. I rarely go into vWii anymore. My favorites are on my Wii U menu and I autoboot with CBHC.

I just with they'd release SSBB GC on eShop. Then I'd never go into vWii again

Can I ask how you've set this up? How are you installing Wii games and getting them on the Wii U Menu? This is the ultimate setup I'm after. Thank you!

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I ask how you've set this up? How are you installing Wii games and getting them on the Wii U Menu? This is the ultimate setup I'm after. Thank you!
There are a handful of Wii games that are available on the Wii U eshop. Any of those games can be downloaded and installed using Wii U USB Helper WUP Installer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol