What is the best original GBA rechargeable battery pack?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by xwatchmanx, Jun 1, 2012.

1. xwatchmanx
    OP

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    So, I've kinda had it with emulators for the time being, and want to get back to dusting off my actual original GBA. However, I absolutely loathe the 2 hour-ish battery life I remember getting. So I want to buy a rechargeable battery pack: Not one of those bulky "power grip" things, but one of those packs that fit (almost) invisibly into the battery slot and replace the cover. I've found a couple cheap ones on Amazon, but have mixed reviews. What do you guys think of these (links below)? And what do you suggest? I heard there are official Nintendo battery packs for the GBA, but they were in Japan only, and so far I can't find them anywhere. Any answers are appreciated!

http://www.amazon.com/New-Gameboy-Advance-Adapter-Battery-Pack/dp/B000NDM4IK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I13FZPTH6VIMCI&colid=1IYT0XCX6TZYZ

http://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Battery-Pack-Game-Boy-Advance/dp/B00008GYEQ

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The only one I ever had was a MadCatz one and it had significantly worse battery life than using standard AA disposables. I'm not sure what you're doing to only get 2 hours out of the thing, but since it didn't have a backlight I could easily get 10 hours of gameplay before needing replacement.

I mostly just used the battery pack as an AC-to-DC converter so I could run the system off a wall outlet when I was close to one and didn't want to run down my regular batteries. But as for holding a charge longer than a day or two, it was pretty worthless.

3. xwatchmanx
    OP

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    I haven't regularly played my GBA since I was 15 (that was 7 years ago), so I may be misremembering the battery life... but I'm pretty sure I remember about 2 hours when playing Metroid Fusion. But then again, I WAS using the cheapo Dollar General batteries my mom was buying at the time. :ha:

But anyway, thanks for your answer... I'm probably just going to grab a GBA SP on Ebay instead (you can get them in good condition for $35 or so), that way I can avoid both the battery AND lack of brightness woes of the original. :)