OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
tagzard.tk
XP
Country
United States
So i heard you can root and android phone. So is it like jailbreaking. What do you do with a rooted phone? How do you root it. What android firmwares does it work on. Are all roots the same? (Like the same outcome)

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Rooting is the Android equivalent to jailbreaking on Android. The Android OS already operates from giving users a ton of freedom, so the effects may not appear to be as drastic as jailbreaking on iOS. The main point of rooting is to give full access to modifying all the files in the Android OS, comparable to the "Run as Administrator" command in Windows. Rooted Android OS allows you to backup data that was otherwise impossible, as well as install certain applications like AdFree (to block ads) that will require a modification of an OS file. You can also get certain skins for Android through rooting that would not be possible otherwise.

The rooting process is different for every Android device, though most if not all can be rooted one way or another. You'll have to search up the process for your own device, as the steps and programs needed vary. Some phones can be rooted through SuperOneClick (a convenient app that automates the rooting process); others like those on Gingerbread may be able to rooted through GingerBreak. In certain cases, a more complex method must be utilized.

There are temp-roots, which temporarily roots your phone until the next reboot (if I'm not mistaken), as well as permanent roots, which will make the root stick. It is like the tethered and untethered jailbreaks for iOS. It is possible to un-root your phone with a simple process.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI with temp roots you can't install Custom ROMs, which is one of the biggest reasons for rooting. You can get community built ROMs that extend battery life and performance, and add extra usability features, one of the most popular ones is Cyanogenmod, with support for many devices, however there are still many others out there that can't use it, and there are almost always Custom ROMs for a rooted phone.

Also, while it is easy to un-root as long as you stay on you're stock ROM, if you switch to a Custom ROM you might have problems getting back onto the Official software.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
And - there's one thing I've just discovered as well

If you manage to root your phone (I believe this is also known as having 's-off' - I'm a total Newbie to all this rooting/custom rom business) & you happen to do a OTA (Over-The-Airwave) update from the official manufacturer - the 'root' will be 'blocked'

I found this out 'cos I manged to (finally) get 's-off' on my DesireHD [fyi - my phone was on Gingerbread - I needed to downgrade to an older firmware, temp root/perm root it then 's-off' it] but I went & did an update OTA & now I can't get any root access...

(... this mean I need to re-downgrade it AGAIN & install a Custom ROM next time around - although I can't decide on WHICH custom ROM to use as there's so many to choose from)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...