1. Crazynoob458

OP Crazynoob458 That Reshiram

Australia
    so im getting a silver ds with a dstt but does anyone know anything about the dstt?

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Cubi: Awkwardly cute

Antarctica
    One of the major benefits of the DSTT is simply the homebrew launchers that you can use on it. You aren't limited to just DSTT menu and or ysmenu, you can use TWiLight Menu++, Menudo, Moonshell, and I am pretty sure I am missing some older ones, but the point still is that there are options. Sure, you will lack RTS or really any features beyond launching homebrew and ROMs, but you do get the benefits of community support.

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. Maq47

Maq47 Founder of Woolooism

United States
    Don't forget, cheats are supported, too!

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Cubi: Awkwardly cute

Antarctica
    Yeah! Cheats too, kind of forgot about those, lol

5. campbell0505

campbell0505 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I've had mine since 2009 or so, and it works well still. I haven't really messed around with it with homebrew, but I know some homebrew can run, as I've ran colors or whatever that homebrew drawing program is.

6. Crazynoob458

Australia
    wait what is RTS? and what does it do?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

also what is different between ttmenu and ysmenu?

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    RTS = real time save aka savestates.
    Some of the fancier flash carts have support for them in varying levels (inside the DS there are places you can't read and thus savestates will never be emulator grade, some do it better than others though).

In short the dstt/ttds was a family of very cheap entry level flash carts, scarcely above R4 clone levels of meh with middle of the road hardware resilience (don't abuse it too much but major failings are not so prevalent as others). However with a replacement firmware that got made for them (see ysmenu) they sort of became pretty half OK if you only wanted the ability to load ROMs, basic homebrew and have some cheats, no extra frills really. The replacement firmware was a bit fiddly and there was some of the few bits of drama in the DS world surrounding it (the author had some odd ideas on how the world of such things should work, though the fans of cheap flash carts were not always the most pleasant to deal with) but never the less it would allow you to experience basically all the DS world really had to offer so made a solid, if fiddly, option to do just that. The semi open/hackable nature of it also meant it got a few perks in 3ds and dsi world a bit later in life but the others have taken that one.

I don't know that I would buy one today over other choices but at the same time you can probably get it done, and the world does seem short of a "pay the man $25 and get a solid DS flash cart" option these days.

8. Crazynoob458

Australia
    also how do i tell if my dstt is fake

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

what kind of cheats exist?ips, bps, etc

Last edited by Crazynoob458, Sep 2, 2020
  9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    IPS and BPS are patching systems. I am not aware of any DS flash carts that support such things, not to mention both have minimal uses in DS ROM hacking; IPS has a 16 megabyte limit and can't handle relocation (as in everything gets shifted around because or because something got rebuilt, aka basically everything in DS ROM hacking unless you make special effort not to), and nobody really uses BPS. To that end you are more likely to encounter xdelta, straight custom format or bsdiff outside of having to grab a small component file of the DS ROM and patch it yourself. The DSTT/TTDS did have some issues at one point with some hacks (which worked fine in emulators and other flash carts), but sorting that usually amounted to unpacking and repacking with something like ndstool.

DS cheats come in various forms but 99% of them are just simple memory cheats (though as the binary is loaded into memory to run then you can achieve some interesting effects with that) with a few save hacks sprinkled in.
    https://gamehacking.org/wiki/Hacking_NDS
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/deadskullzjrs-nds-cheat-databases.488711/

As an exception to that I should note that hardpatching cheats into games has been a thing since... probably before most flash carts got cheats ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/crackers-trainers.40825/ , guide to it https://gbatemp.net/threads/crackers-ds-trainer-maker-tutorial.44410/ ) but kind of went away when every emulator and still viable flash cart got them. https://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-auto-trainer-maker-dsatm.80540/ for a simple tool to do it (the is also a GBA equivalent, and I am seeing N64 stuff now as well, older stuff will tend to be ROM patches aka game genie for that one as adding enough code to edit memory it to a generic tool that stands a reasonable chance of working on any random ROM is very tricky).

As far as fakes I am not sure what goes with that one for the DSTT/TTDS family.

Crazynoob458 and alexander1970 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted