Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
In the last 3 FF games I played, all of them refer to Lancers as "Dragoon"

I thought its a term for "Dragon Warriors" and it's fine, but I'm getting curious and looked for "Dragoon" in a dictionary.

Much to my surprise, the word "Dragoon" is a verb, meaning to force somebody to do something.

It has no relation to dragon, spear or Jump (Dragoon's special ability) or a job.

So, can anybody tell me is there any other description of "Dragoon"?

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
It seems SQUARE forgot that Dragoons uses Rifles instead of Swords and Spears (or so the wiki says). I understand that Dragoons doesn't mount Chocobos for this reason, but they should use Rifles and Cannons instead of Swords and Spears.....

Edit: the 2nd regiment of Dragoon Division in French Army is a nuclear, bacterilogical and chemical protection regiment? I really wonder what are they doing
smile.gif

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
well, it's a fantasy world.
i think they just didn't pay much attention to what it actually means, and rather made their own reason for the name.
and i think they are called dragoon, because when they attack it's like a dragon charging in from the sky(jump technique)

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hmm...... well, the problem is about the word's meaning. In my dictionary it means force somebody to do something, and the word "dragoon" doesn't really make me think of a dragon.... maybe it's just me

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't remember where or when I first encountered the term Dragoon, but every time I saw one, it was used to call a "Dragon Knight."

Since Japanese FF names the job "Dragon Knight" (literally) I think Dragoon is appropriate.

I remember a Japanese DOS game called ryuukidenshou. It used dragoon as in dragon knight, and the whole game was revolving around human-dragon relation thing.

I can't think of a game prior to early 90's that used the term "Dragoon" though.

Truliche

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ecuador
Japanese developers like the word dragon for it's phonetic fluidity and charm and because it sounds like the word dragon.

A dragoon is actually a soldier who rides a horse but uses a musket, since muskets are impossible to fire from a horse this means the dragoons only use the horse for transportation and fight on foot.

Actually, the original etymology of the word dragoon DOES stem from the word dragon (the myth creature) so it's really not far-fetched as some people think.

Roasty179

Trophies
XP
Country
thedicemaster said:
well, it's a fantasy world.
i think they just didn't pay much attention to what it actually means, and rather made their own reason for the name.
and i think they are called dragoon, because when they attack it's like a dragon charging in from the sky(jump technique)

a dragoon is a class of bangaa or human in final fantasy tactics games that weilds spears, shortswords, longswords, and broadswords on the rare occasion. they resemble a dragon or wyrm by the helmet and clothing they wear, also, the techniques they learn are mainly breath attacks and dragon (wyrm) based moves such as wyrmtamer and wyrmkiller.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
dragoon the legendery air riding machine is simply a machine nicknamed "dragoon"
if i'd buy a boat and named it paladin, that wouldn't mean paladin is another word for boat right?

galneon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just a pun. Dragoon, which has military origins, looks a lot like DRAGON. The Japanese like puns.

Interesting trivia: The Genesis game, Langrisser II, had both heavily armored cavalry called dragoons, and dragon knights called... Dragon knights.

MyauChanDesu

Kamineko is GOD.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raestloz said:
Hmm...... well, the problem is about the word's meaning. In my dictionary it means force somebody to do something, and the word "dragoon" doesn't really make me think of a dragon.... maybe it's just me

i don't know if it's just me.. but when i see/hear the word dragoon, a dragon comes up into my mind..
rolleyes.gif

galneon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I immediately think of Napoleon's dragoons. Really, it's just a pun in video games that became a tradition, aside from those found in Langrisser (which wield swords).

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
I'm pretty sure that in Final Fantasy II the Dragoons were an army of knights that protected/fought with dragons named the Hiryuu, or something.

That's probably where it came from.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...