What is Dragoon?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Raestloz, Aug 1, 2008.

Aug 1, 2008

What is Dragoon? by Raestloz at 12:16 PM (1,960 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. Raestloz
    OP

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    In the last 3 FF games I played, all of them refer to Lancers as "Dragoon"

I thought its a term for "Dragon Warriors" and it's fine, but I'm getting curious and looked for "Dragoon" in a dictionary.

Much to my surprise, the word "Dragoon" is a verb, meaning to force somebody to do something.

It has no relation to dragon, spear or Jump (Dragoon's special ability) or a job.

So, can anybody tell me is there any other description of "Dragoon"?

2. Sendoh

Member Sendoh GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
  3. Raestloz
    OP

Indonesia
    It seems SQUARE forgot that Dragoons uses Rifles instead of Swords and Spears (or so the wiki says). I understand that Dragoons doesn't mount Chocobos for this reason, but they should use Rifles and Cannons instead of Swords and Spears.....

Edit: the 2nd regiment of Dragoon Division in French Army is a nuclear, bacterilogical and chemical protection regiment? I really wonder what are they doing [​IMG]

4. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    well, it's a fantasy world.
    i think they just didn't pay much attention to what it actually means, and rather made their own reason for the name.
    and i think they are called dragoon, because when they attack it's like a dragon charging in from the sky(jump technique)

5. Raestloz
    OP

Indonesia
    Hmm...... well, the problem is about the word's meaning. In my dictionary it means force somebody to do something, and the word "dragoon" doesn't really make me think of a dragon.... maybe it's just me

6. Giangsta

Member Giangsta GBAtemp Regular

Australia
  7. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    I've always preferred a panzer dragoon, to a regular dragoon. But thats just me.

8. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    I don't remember where or when I first encountered the term Dragoon, but every time I saw one, it was used to call a "Dragon Knight."

Since Japanese FF names the job "Dragon Knight" (literally) I think Dragoon is appropriate.

I remember a Japanese DOS game called ryuukidenshou. It used dragoon as in dragon knight, and the whole game was revolving around human-dragon relation thing.

I can't think of a game prior to early 90's that used the term "Dragoon" though.

9. Truliche

Member Truliche GBAtemp Regular

Ecuador
    Japanese developers like the word dragon for it's phonetic fluidity and charm and because it sounds like the word dragon.

A dragoon is actually a soldier who rides a horse but uses a musket, since muskets are impossible to fire from a horse this means the dragoons only use the horse for transportation and fight on foot.

Actually, the original etymology of the word dragoon DOES stem from the word dragon (the myth creature) so it's really not far-fetched as some people think.

10. GameSoul

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    A Dragoon is a cross-breed between a Dragon and ???. At least when I played Adventure Quest, that what it was. -.o

11. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    I thought dragoon was the legendary air ride machine...

12. Roasty179

Newcomer Roasty179 Newbie

Australia
    a dragoon is a class of bangaa or human in final fantasy tactics games that weilds spears, shortswords, longswords, and broadswords on the rare occasion. they resemble a dragon or wyrm by the helmet and clothing they wear, also, the techniques they learn are mainly breath attacks and dragon (wyrm) based moves such as wyrmtamer and wyrmkiller.

13. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

14. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    dragoon the legendery air riding machine is simply a machine nicknamed "dragoon"
    if i'd buy a boat and named it paladin, that wouldn't mean paladin is another word for boat right?

15. galneon

Member galneon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's just a pun. Dragoon, which has military origins, looks a lot like DRAGON. The Japanese like puns.

Interesting trivia: The Genesis game, Langrisser II, had both heavily armored cavalry called dragoons, and dragon knights called... Dragon knights.

16. MyauChanDesu

Member MyauChanDesu Kamineko is GOD.

Australia
    i don't know if it's just me.. but when i see/hear the word dragoon, a dragon comes up into my mind.. [​IMG]

17. galneon

Member galneon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I immediately think of Napoleon's dragoons. Really, it's just a pun in video games that became a tradition, aside from those found in Langrisser (which wield swords).

18. i_Am_Ghost

Newcomer i_Am_Ghost Member

Korea, South
    [​IMG]

Dragoon!

19. crazyshiza

Member crazyshiza GBAtemp Regular

Didn't anyone play Everquest? The Dark Elves called their army commanders Dragoons.

20. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I'm pretty sure that in Final Fantasy II the Dragoons were an army of knights that protected/fought with dragons named the Hiryuu, or something.

That's probably where it came from.