"What is a legit cia?" (and other noob CIA questions ANSWERED)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by cearp, Apr 14, 2015.

1. cearp
    OP

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    Yes 2ds and 3ds are the same system :)

GilgameshArcher and Youser like this.
  2. Youser

Youser Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thanks! I want to install a new SD card for my console. How should I format it? And should I just copy everything that's on the current card over?

3. cearp
    OP

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    fat32, yes copy everything over.
    I can't reply for a while, find the noob thread they will help you there

4. Youser

Youser Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Am I able to transfer the games downloaded from freeshop to another memory card to avoid downloading them all again on a second console?

5. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    No, not unless you extract the moveable.sed from the first and inject it to the second, which I don't know how to do. You could instead turn your games into cia files (as long as the SD card in the first console is less than half full) then install them with FBI in the second console. See https://3ds.guide/godmode9-usage

Youser likes this.
  6. Youser

Youser Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    'Convert a .3ds to .CIA', is that what I should be looking at?

7. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    No, dumping a title.

8. Hipeopeo

Hipeopeo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2017
    United States
    Pretty Much Hell
    If I have a preinstalled game (Super Mario 3D Land) will it still be universal *after* reinstallation through the eShop?

Also, might there be a way to use a universal ticket to sign CFW installing software, just shown as the universal game?

(For one, I can get a universal ticket from my brother ‘s 3DS, hasn’t been uninstalled.)

9. Youser

Youser Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for this. I'll be giving this a go over the weekend. Is it OK to make a CIA file using this method of a preinstalled game (Super Mario) that came with the 2DS?

Are the CIA files the same size as the installed version from Freeshop?

I have a 32GB card of which I have around 19/20GB remaining. Should be enough to make CIA files of all the games installed, right?

If I didn't have a memory Card that was half full, is it possible to convert two games at a time and then export them before converting another two?

10. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    1. Yes
    2. Probably not exactly, but similar (one is the installed version, the other is an installable package)
    3. Yes probably
    4. Yes because you can choose one title at a time to export

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I don't think so, but try it out and report back. Legit cias are special because they're installed on loads of consoles and work in all of them, but once deleted and redownloaded from the eShop I suspect it would be tied to your particular console/NNID.

If you're asking whether you can sign other games as legit cias, definitely not. As soon as you change one bit of a cia the signature is invalid.

You can of course export the legit cia on your brother's console and install it on yours, but all legit cias are out there and able to be downloaded, so there's no need to except for the convenience factor or if you don't have much internet allowance.

11. TheLastOfUs

TheLastOfUs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2017
    United States
    1. Why would legit CIAs be so imporant? Why not just use "unclean/unlegit" CIAs? The point is to play the games on another console without the cart right? Considering .cia's are region free...wouldn't they be the superior choice?

2. Unrelated to CIA but I'll ask here! Flash carts that support 3ds games - what does this mean exactly? They support .cia's or .3ds without CFW? Or with? I'm so confused. I thought one can run a .3ds file on a CFW without a flash cart once boot9strap is on it (from my research)?

12. Hunter

Hunter i'ma stuffup the board

Former Staff
    Nov 20, 2003
    Australia
    Melbourne, Australia
    legit CIA can be installed and ran on a 3DS without CFW they are games that game preinstalled on 3ds/2ds's etc

flashcard can run .3ds not .cia (cia is an installable container) flashcards for 3ds are a waste of money

13. cearp
    OP

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    Cias aren't region free. Region has nothing to do with this.

GilgameshArcher likes this.
  14. TheLastOfUs

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2017
    United States
    Can anything with CFW and no flash card run .3ds?

15. Hunter

Hunter i'ma stuffup the board

Former Staff
    Nov 20, 2003
    Australia
    Melbourne, Australia
    no you will need to convert the .3ds to .cia and install it

16. TheLastOfUs

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2017
    United States
    Thank you - makes sense. I read more on legit vs nonlegit CIAs and as you said, one doesn't need CFW :) But I do wonder why someone wouldn't just do a CFW....console ban risk?

17. cearp
    OP

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    Before, sometimes we could exploit the 3ds enough to install legit cias, but not enough to install illegal ones.
    Eventually that fw got hacked more, etc, it repeated etc.

Quantumcat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice