Hacking What if 5.5.2 is a Bomb...???

eyeball226

Trophies
XP
Country
There's nothing to prove, you're wrong about Nintendo having done anything wrong by removing something that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

You: Nintendo are wrong OPINION

FACT:Nintendo aren't wrong.

It's not hijacking this thread, this thread is about conspiracy theories and making claims that Nintendo are doing something wrong by removing the browser exploit.

Well if you insist.
I said I found it morally dodgy for them to remove functionality, whether intended functionality or not. Morals are subjective, deal with it.

Last edited by eyeball226,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country
Well if you insist.
I said I found it morally dodgy for them to remove functionality, whether intended functionality or not. Morals are subjective, deal with it.

Moral + Legal: Killing/stealing etc = BAD

Moral + Legal: Nintendo removing function to stop(well reduce) piracy = NOT BAD

DEAL WITH IT.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
morals are subjective, sure, but people can still point out how dumb and illogical they sound.

Nintendo is fixing an exploit that enabled unwanted access on the Wii U, a closed platform. if you're saying this is "morally questionable" then you should probably say that about closed platforms in general. if anything what we're doing could be considered "morally questionable", but I'm fine with that.

also, exploits are hardly features.

Last edited by ihaveahax,

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country
Good, it at least sounds like you've accepted that morality is subjective. You're allowed to disagree with my take, you have your own moral code. Me being wrong is your opinion, not a fact.

This whole argument is all rubbish, your original post + the rest of your replies have been subterfuge. You're simply unhappy about what nintendo have rightfully done, you've brought up this "moral bs to hide the fact.

It's ok to show your displeasure without the subterfuge you know.

Last edited by fowler002,
Reactions: ihaveahax

eyeball226

Trophies
XP
Country
This whole argument is all rubbish, your original post + the rest of your replies have been subterfuge. You're simply unhappy about what nintendo have rightfully done, you've brought up this "moral bs to hide the fact.

It's ok to show your displeasure without the subterfuge you know.

The whole argument is a non-argument. I said I found it slightly morally dodgy (not even immoral) and you've been trying to "prove" me wrong with "facts" when the whole thing is opinion. By all means disagree with my opinion. Also subterfuge is a weird accusation to make, care to explain?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The whole argument is a non-argument. I said I found it slightly morally dodgy (not even immoral) and you've been trying to "prove" me wrong with "facts" when the whole thing is opinion. By all means disagree with my opinion. Also subterfuge is a weird accusation to make, care to explain?
yeah if they removed a feature like you keep saying, maybe. but they did not remove a feature. they fixed an exploit, which are not features, they are bugs. what?

Reactions: CheatFreak47

eyeball226

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah if they removed a feature like you keep saying, maybe. but they did not remove a feature. they fixed an exploit, which are not features, they are bugs. what?

Doesn't matter. It used to do a thing, they stopped it doing a thing. I find that slightly morally dodgy.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to me. I'm sorry that upsets you.
you don't like that they fixed a security exploit, not removed a feature. trying to mask your dislike for it as something higher and more meaningful makes you look dumber than you just saying "i don't like it". morals are irrelevant here, no matter how subjective they are.

I'm sorry, but what the fuck?

Reactions: CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't matter. It used to do a thing, they stopped it doing a thing. I find that slightly morally dodgy.
The state of being "exploitable" isn't an active effort or maintained capability. Instead, being exploitable is merely a trait- that only becomes a feature once it's taken advantage of, afterwhich, the user would be expected to find a more stable, more permanent exploit to take advantage of, using the insecure one only once or twice as a door to more stable access to said features.

There's nothing morally unsound about correcting security vulnerabilities in software. What is morally questionable- actually, is taking advantage of them in the first place. And this is coming from someone who does precisely that on every console I get my grubby fingers on.

Reactions: ihaveahax

eyeball226

Trophies
XP
Country
The state of being "exploitable" isn't an active effort or maintained capability. Instead, being exploitable is merely a trait- that only becomes a feature once it's taken advantage of, afterwhich, the user would be expected to find a more stable, more permanent exploit to take advantage of, using the insecure one only once or twice as a door to more stable access to said features.

There's nothing morally unsound about correcting security vulnerabilities in software. What is morally questionable- actually, is taking advantage of them in the first place. And this is coming from someone who does precisely that on every console I get my grubby fingers on.

I'm not in the slightest bit invested in convincing anyone else to share my opinion but I'm happy to carry on discussing it. I should probably point out that I wouldn't have a problem with it if the update was easily opted out of (as in "Would you like to install the update? Yes/No"). It's less the closing of the exploit by itself that I find morally questionable but rather the combination of that with updates that can only be avoided through means like alternative DNS servers (assuming that one otherwise wants to connect to the internet).
Exploit or not, there was behaviour that was deemed useful by some users. Disabling that without asking is at the very least rude.
I'm happy to put more effort in to reply to you as you've clearly put more effort into your post than those above. ;)

Reactions: antiNT

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not in the slightest bit invested in convincing anyone else to share my opinion but I'm happy to carry on discussing it. I should probably point out that I wouldn't have a problem with it if the update was easily opted out of (as in "Would you like to install the update? Yes/No"). It's less the closing of the exploit by itself that I find morally questionable but rather the combination of that with updates that can only be avoided through means like alternative DNS servers (assuming that one otherwise wants to connect to the internet).
Exploit or not, there was behaviour that was deemed useful by some users. Disabling that without asking is at the very least rude.
I'm happy to put more effort in to reply to you as you've clearly put more effort into your post than those above. ;)

"Oh boo hoo a Business is try to protect one of its main sources of finance, now I wouldn't be able to pirate my games, boo freaking hoo"

That is what this whole "argument/discussion" boils down to, as has been already said you're simply not happy Nintendo is doing something that EVERY console maker does not just Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft regularly release updates for their consoles, and many of those have patched exploits, don't see you throwing a hissy fit at them for their "lack of morals"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The tots through Tina quotes are Napoleon. No free drinks and the big brown finger are Greasy...