Hacking Question What have I missed?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.0.0 is better because it will allow homebrew and playing newer games, whereas 3.0.0 can't play newer games

Unfortunately, 1.0.0 systems are rare (like, Chrono Trigger in an unopened box-rare), and prohibitively expensive, no thanks to greedy-ass scalpers.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, 1.0.0 systems are rare (like, Chrono Trigger in an unopened box-rare), and prohibitively expensive, no thanks to greedy-ass scalpers.
Its hard to tell if it's actual scalping or not. Scalping would involve people having bought a switch at launch with the sole purpose of selling it later. And at launch no one knew anything about exploits to come. What it seems more like is people who didn't update for homebrew, and now realize they can make a lot of money because there is a good demand but no supply. They don't sell for a lot because of scalping, it's because they were only available for a short time and most of those were updated by users. Its because of that that there is virtually no supply, and with news of emuNAND the demand grew.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its hard to tell if it's actual scalping or not. Scalping would involve people having bought a switch at launch with the sole purpose of selling it later. And at launch no one knew anything about exploits to come. What it seems more like is people who didn't update for homebrew, and now realize they can make a lot of money because there is a good demand but no supply. They don't sell for a lot because of scalping, it's because they were only available for a short time and most of those were updated by users. Its because of that that there is virtually no supply, and with news of emuNAND the demand grew.

I don't trust eBay either way, I'm seeing some for normal prices, some for more, and none of them show the serial number, which is a red flag, *sigh* oh well. I just wish 1.0.0 wasn't the butter zone.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even a 1.0 switch I would be scared since I see that there's been lot of hardware issues on those revisions... My friend bought a new one with the 2x something and 2 days later was making a huge high pitch noise on the speakers.

Even if the current rev of the console gets hacked I'm too scared to waste 330eur on a console to last a week. I hope new revisions come soon with better power saving and more battery capacity and I wish a Super AMOLED edition of it...

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even a 1.0 switch I would be scared since I see that there's been lot of hardware issues on those revisions... My friend bought a new one with the 2x something and 2 days later was making a huge high pitch noise on the speakers.

Even if the current rev of the console gets hacked I'm too scared to waste 330eur on a console to last a week. I hope new revisions come soon with better power saving and more battery capacity and I wish a Super AMOLED edition of it...
I got a switch at launch and no issues at all. From the research the community did at that time it fell well within standard failure rate for electronics. It only seemed like a more prevalent problem because it was a new system and the few (I only really saw 3 at most) documented cases got blasted around. The same thing happens at almost every new console launch I've witnessed

Reactions: DayVeeBoi
D

Deleted User

Interesting info. Wish i had stayed on 1.0 but I had too much fun playing it. But i think that filesystem is enough of a foothold to get further. I also can see a situation where 1.0 users end up decrpting games for 3.0 users and the 3.0 users having the library up to 3.0 accessible via gamedump. As time passes patches that allow 3.1 plus to work. This is my take.

But whats with all this speculation. No one gets paid for this. So all we can do is sit back and wait.

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
eh i mean arent they now ultra rare tho?

Id say its large gamble going hunting for a 1.0 switch, you just don't really know what the additional unpatched flaws its advantages will provides are(maybe nothing?), and it will undoubtedly be much much more expensive. Any switch on 3.0 will be able to provide a source of emulation in the fairly near future. As an end user at least, IMO its definately not worth the money or time. They are definitely rare ;). Cheaper buying 2 switches probably.

Last edited by Jackson98,
Reactions: DayVeeBoi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Thank you based Dinoh.